Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Dunking on everybody in the park

Default Re: Is 82 games a season too long?

Quote Originally Posted by dubeta
    Its a basic Supply/Demand mechanism

Supply is fixed in stadiums as teams cannot increase capacity (more seats)

This is because the court is small compared to other sports, so there can only be about 20,0000 seats or else people at the back wont be able to see the game

Therefore, to reach the profit maximizing output, and to equate Supply to Demand, Demand should shift to the left (i.e reduce). This is done by flooding the market with more games. More games = less demand for each individual game. So the demand is mostly kept to just about 20,000 people so that there isnt any EXCESS Demand and therefore loss of potential sales. So having more games is a way to negate the effects of fixed supply through a relatively small amount of seats

- Phd in Economics

Retard, you can match supply and demand by simply raising ticket price and playing less games. Teams will make the same amount of money since supply will be constrained and demand will decrease correspondingly.

These hoes ain't loyal Nuff Said's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B-hoop

Retard, you can match supply and demand by simply raising ticket price and playing less games. Teams will make the same amount of money since supply will be constrained and demand will decrease correspondingly.
    Whoever said basketball needed to make as much as other sports Anyway? The season will never shorten due to money loss but it really needs to and I wouldn't be mad at it. Playoffs take forever to come and half the teams be ranking anyways so it gets boring once seeds are berthed.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

82 games is just fine. Players in the past played 82 games in harsher conditions without the medical services of today. So the current players can't say crap..or they are a bunch of pusses. I do agree though that the first and maybe the 2nd round should be a best of 5 series in the playoffs.

Smile, you're on ISH Crystallas's Avatar

Nope. An 82 game regular season is great. The NBAPA and the league made changes over the last few years to allow larger rosters, and those should be utilized more. If anything the league should stop penalizing teams that rest players out of sheer common sense, and encourage the use of the 13 man roster.

Good High School Starter dreamwarrior's Avatar

With all the players wanting to play for team USA they're obviously not tired. Rarely do they play 2 games in a row anyway, which is why I hate managing fantasy basketball since I have days where I'll have 3 people or less starting with no option to use unused stats. It's just totally the most inaccurate fantasy sport ever

shhhhhhh

82 games is perfect... not too long, long enough for a team to have it's ups and downs, fight through some adversity, put some streaks together.. it weeds out the pretenders from the real deal

I love watching BBall, can't imagine any scenario where making the season shorter or less playoff games is a good thing.

plus there's the fact that the CBA, player contracts, TV contracts, arena leases, contracts with arena support personnel etc etc etc are all based on there being 82 games in a season.. it would take years for the league to even get to a place where it could all be renegotiated...

People have been playing 82 games since God knows when. If we reduce the number of games we should also reduce player salaries.

It is, 60-70 games is at least enough, it doesnt matter if it was for a purpose, but it isnt really the case, you dont need to play 82 games to boot up the playoff birth teams.

It should be reduced, only players who wont like it are the players who have a certain affection for chasing stat totals (you can kiss many of those point total records goodbye for example, especially Kareems total points).
    Last edited by pauk; 08-31-2014 at 03:28 AM.

Good college starter NZStreetBaller's Avatar

they should have like 2 weeks gap between the season and playoffs give the players time to rest up and espn and the media time to hype/promote the living sheet out of the playoff matchups ...

I don't mind 82 games if they spread them out. No team in the NBA should be playing back to back road games... ever.