Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Should having more than 1 all star teammate knock you out of mvp consideration?

Quote Originally Posted by Rose'sACL
    Lebron and durant went against each other.
    Talking about the stacked teams argument People are like, "Magic had Kareem and Worthy", so on, "Bird had McHale and Parish"(plus he arrived to one of the worst teams in the league), "Moses had Doc" or the other way around, but forget they had to win against the other's team, plus Bad Boys, Bucks.. Oh and of course people are gonna say that they didn't switch teams.

College superstar

Default Re: Should having more than 1 all star teammate knock you out of mvp consideration?

The MVP award in MY mind should 100% factor in quality of team. As already stated, how valuable can one truly be if their team is that great?

Football provides the easiest, most outrageous example... if Brady and Manning were on the same team, and one got hurt... is the team really that much worse? No. Because the teammates can easily pick up the slack.

In the case of Lebron, if he doesn't play well, Bosh (25/10 before joining the Heat) and Wade (second best player in the L before Lebron joined) can easily pick up the slack. Ditto for any other combination of slack needing to be picked up.

I've long argued this point. Makes no logical sense whatsoever to have a player with so much help be given the MVP. It's even more hilarious when both Wade and Lebron have gotten MVP consideration. Are you f-ing kidding me?!

MVP =/= best player. Lebron (IMO, anyway) is the best player. Not winning the MVP doesn't change that.

Sorry. /rant.

Decent playground baller Black Mamba's B's Avatar

If it's Kobe and there is another star on the team he gets penalized for it

Quote Originally Posted by Black Mamba's B
    If it's Kobe and there is another star on the team he gets penalized for it
    Which year did Kobe deserve it and lose it only based on having another all star? Was it when he won less games (with a better team) and averaged worse stats than the eventual winner?

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    The MVP award in MY mind should 100% factor in quality of team. As already stated, how valuable can one truly be if their team is that great?

Football provides the easiest, most outrageous example... if Brady and Manning were on the same team, and one got hurt... is the team really that much worse? No. Because the teammates can easily pick up the slack.

In the case of Lebron, if he doesn't play well, Bosh (25/10 before joining the Heat) and Wade (second best player in the L before Lebron joined) can easily pick up the slack. Ditto for any other combination of slack needing to be picked up.

I've long argued this point. Makes no logical sense whatsoever to have a player with so much help be given the MVP. It's even more hilarious when both Wade and Lebron have gotten MVP consideration. Are you f-ing kidding me?!

MVP =/= best player. Lebron (IMO, anyway) is the best player. Not winning the MVP doesn't change that.

Sorry. /rant.
    Hmm I don't think MVP should work like you described.

Consider this hypothetical. Lets say Charlotte's only center is Al Jeff. They have absolutely no other NBA quality center. Therefore, when Al Jeff sits down or injured they would be losing by a lot due to having no center. Clearly Al Jeff is a good player and his MVP value is quadrupled just because Bobcats have no other center. Therefore he should be MVP? Hmm...

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    Hmm I don't think MVP should work like you described.

Consider this hypothetical. Lets say Charlotte's only center is Al Jeff. They have absolutely no other NBA quality center. Therefore, when Al Jeff sits down or injured they would be losing by a lot due to having no center. Clearly Al Jeff is a good player and his MVP value is quadrupled just because Bobcats have no other center. Therefore he should be MVP? Hmm...
    Aside from the absolute focus on positional responsibilities... Yes.

As I said, my example was extreme. But what I was attempting to illustrate is how having a quality team around you can change things. Positional backups are exactly necessary; they just make NFL comparisons much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    Aside from the absolute focus on positional responsibilities... Yes.

As I said, my example was extreme. But what I was attempting to illustrate is how having a quality team around you can change things. Positional backups are exactly necessary; they just make NFL comparisons much easier.
    Hmm well MVP has no exact definition so I guess you are free to describe it your way.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    Hmm well MVP has no exact definition so I guess you are free to describe it your way.
    Big issue with the award, IMO.

League MVP and Best-Team (my understanding) MVP are two totally different things.

But to be honest, the league seems to have picked League MVPs.

Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dro
    Good question. I'm not really sure....
    lmao i have always wondered when this gimmick response of yours began

Quote Originally Posted by Quickening
    I think being a rapist should keep you out the HOF

There goes Dirk's chances, since he raped the Heat in the 2011 Finals.

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

Should y'all pull LJ's dikk out of your anus, yes you should.

No because then we must discredit essentially all MVP winners in NBA history, all had at least 1 all-star caliber/playing player and some had even DPOY/1st all-defensive ("not all-star because they couldnt average 20 ppg") big guys to complement some of those MVP winners defensive mishaps....
    Last edited by pauk; 03-19-2014 at 04:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    No because then we must discredit essentially all MVP winners in NBA history, all had at least 1 all-star caliber/playing player and some had even DPOY/1st all-defensive ("not all-star because they couldnt average 20 ppg") big guys to complement some of those MVP winners defensive mishaps....
    in the last 20 years of MVP's, who had more than 2 all stars in 1 season?

Great college starter Quickening's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportjames23
    There goes Dirk's chances, since he raped the Heat in the 2011 Finals.
    Wade was better in the series, try again.

Prolly not cuz if you got the best team then you generally have 3 all stars, or that's how it has been.

But KD is MVP. Godstats. I have been slipping on watching NBA (although I am gonna have time again), but when I get a few minutes I'll turn on some replays on NBA TV. Saw the other day that KD is averaging 31.8 ppg. That's insane. 31.8, 7.6 rebs (altho most are prolly easy grabs), 5.5 assists... 50% shooting, 40% 3... man.

When's the last time someone put up that many ppg? In this NBA that's a crazy stat... especially on a winning team.

-Smak