Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What type of last second shot can you live with?

A couple years ago in an Open Court episode, Reggie Miller said he would want his star player to take the last shot under almost all circumstances. Given the, ehem, "discussions" here with regards to "alphas" and "betas", the question is, who would you rather take the last shot in a do or die game: a role player/ above average shooter but open player like a Danny Green, or an "alpha" dog like Kobe or Lebron, but with a contested shot?

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

Default Re: What type of last second shot can you live with?

I'll take the open role player. Guys like Horry/Fisher/Allen have excelled at these shots. I'd trust a 3 from Horry over a contested Kobe shot

I sense this will turn into another kobe vs lebron vs MJ flame war soon.

OP seriously, why you baiting?

If you have seen stars clutch stats I dont see how you can argue a star chucking up a shot is the best option.

An open good shooter should always take the last shot. The problem is that stars have the abilty to create for themselves and get a shot off in almost any situation.

If the player is open, it doesnt matter who takes the shot. You pass him the ball if he is respectable.
    If the player isnt, then you want a star like Kobe. Who makes bad shots for a living.

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

Depends on who the role player is. Haslem? Hell naw. Ray Allen? Fukk yes.

Or rather...

Good High School Starter dreamwarrior's Avatar

Sometimes open role players get the ball for the last shot and end up hesitating because they weren't expecting the star player to pass them the ball. Guys like Horry and Allen are obviously not the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by riseagainst
    I sense this will turn into another kobe vs lebron vs MJ flame war soon.

OP seriously, why you baiting?
    Seriously, this is not bait. I want to know to what extent people really believe in "hero ball". Your "alpha" guy taking the last second shot, although contested, is the very definition of "hero ball".

On the other hand, there are many respectable coaches who strongly believe in "hero ball". So it's okay, tell us what you think.

Banned

I'd take an open shot. I value my life. There is less pressure if it's uncontested. Also players have been practicing wide open shots for years and years, especially an above average shooter, so this won't be anything new to them.

An above average shooter in the NBA is still an exceptional shooter.
    Last edited by Killbot; 06-19-2014 at 01:51 AM.

Banned

It depends. You want it in the hands of someone who can create their own shots (MJ/Bird/Kobe) because sometimes even the most well thought out plays mess up.

Only if the defense has some distinctive edge to make it too difficult (throw 3 guys on you) then you'll pass it to a reliable shooter.

You get the best shot possible, as it is the one most highly correlated with winning.

Anyone remember Lebron's drive and dish vs. the Pacers in the ECF. He went right down the lane, Hibbert challenged the last second attempt, but then Lebron dished to a wide open 3 point shooter(I forgot who), who promptly missed.

Many NBA watchers criticized Lebron, like Skip Bayless, and of course, it was derided here on the board by the Lebron haters as Lebron being "beta".

So going forward, in the battle for the hearts and minds of fans, coaches, and players, this question is important on who wins the future of basketball.

Decent playground baller Lord Bean's Avatar

It really depends on the player taking the shot. I'd rather guys like MJ, Kobe, or Durant take the last shot, guys who:

1) Have the footwork and skills to get a shot off
    2) Have the jumper and range to make the shot
    3) Have the confidence to do 1 and 2 in the first place
    4) Don't care if they miss

If it's someone like Lebron, I'd much rather have everyone spread out the floor and allow Lebron to put his head down and travel to the rim to either draw a foul or look for the kick out to a shooter. If the opposing team is daring him to shoot like they commonly do, I wouldn't be too upset over him taking the shot, but generally, I'd hope he passed it off.

A lot of the answers, so far, have been with qualifications. We might be able to categorize them into 3 types, like in politics.

1. Conservatives-- these people believe the superstar should always take the last second attempt. He is the only one truly answerable for the franchise' hopes and future. Therefore, he should bear all responsibility for failure or glory. Many Kobe stans would agree to this.

2. Moderates-- these people believe that a superstar should handle the basketball and create, but then, just in case there is an open shooter, he should pass the ball and live with the results from a shooter/role player. Maybe the Lebron stans?

3. Liberals-- these people believe a number of players, who can create, should handle the ball, depending on the situation and defensive match ups. Move the basketball around and see who gets open. Some of the international guys may believe this..Was this the Spurs system?

Kobelicious

the best player in the team