Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Default Anybody want to join an ISH competition when the reg season starts?

[color=red]Updated: 10/10/13

ALL SPOTS TAKEN!!!

Thank you to everyone go signed up. Rules will be posted by tomorrow (Friday, Oct 11th) atleast by 12 pm PST.

If anyone has suggestions about rules, PM me.[/color]

Active members only. People who have been known to have multiple accounts are excluded. New members (Apr 2013ers) will be under review for eligibility to join.

We'll all pick our winning choices for various match-ups. For instance, if it's Heat vs Bulls, a participant will pick one of the two teams, predict how much said team will win by. Say something like, "Heat by 5."
    You'll gain 1 point for every correct winning prediction and an additional 2 points for every time you get the margin of victory correct.
    Obviously, it'll most likely get difficult keeping track of everyone's picks if there are 10+ competitors here and there are 5-10 games every night. Instead of doing that I'd prefer just picking specific games for an entire week and then tally up the scores at the end of the week.
    I'm even thinking about going through the regular season, picking out the games beforehand, and then having all competitors pick before the season even begins, but that'd be slightly unfair since we never know how injuries will affect teams, trades, a cold streak, etc., so it'd take the fun/interest out of it.

I'll explain more as we get closer to the start of the season, but for now I'd just like to see if anyone is interested based off my explanation. Once I have a definite 10 player list, I'll start the main thread where we'll discuss the game and tally scores.

I'm also considering doing something like a regular season competition and the top players compete in a playoffs during the NBA Playoffs. That depends on the number of participants.

I want 10 people to start off, but I'm willing to go up to 20 if someone else is willing to help me keep the game organized by keeping track of people's scores.
    If at any time we all feel like any one person is disrupting the game, he/she (who am I kidding? Just "he") will be booted from the game.

Lastly, I don't have a prize to give. I suppose the best you can get for winning is to say you're ISH's 2013-14 Champion.

Just post if you're interested and I'll update this following list if I decide you're a decent enough poster to participate:

[color=blue]List updated: All Spots Taken![/color]
    1. Scholar
    2. LEFT4DEAD
    3. Clutch
    4. Fpliii
    5. Quebec Baller
    6. Rose
    7. CeltsGarlic
    8. Rose'sACL
    9. TylerOO
    10. Inferno
    11. Sakkreth
    12. RoundMoundofReb
    13. Kuniva dAMiGhTy
    14. Legends66NBA7
    15. Branslowski
    16. Wally450
    17. TheGreatDeraj
    18. fsvr64
    19. iamgine
    20. chips93
    21. Kurple
    22. CanYouDigIt
    23. hitman24
    24. JimmyMcAdocious
    25. rhythmic thesis
    26. JameertheFear
    27. PistonsFan#21
    28. All Net
    29. dr hee
    30. CarlosBoozer

If you are included on the list above, please check into this thread within 24 hours minimum or you won't be added. I am going to allow 30 players to sign up. If we can't get to 30 in a reasonable time, I will possibly suspend the 30 man list and stick with 20 or work out something different where it'll have to be another even number of competitors, such as 26 total (so 13/conference).

Note: I have decided to give the clearly not-so-active members a chance since it turns out that this game is drawing as many regular posters' attention as I had presumed. It wasn't favoritism that made me say, "ACTIVE MEMBERS ONLY." I just assumed those folks are on often so they'd want to reserve themselves a spot. Oh, well.
    Now I feel bad for kicking dr hee out, so if you're reading this, dr hee, and your pride isn't shot, please post within the 24 hour gap and I'll add you on.
    Lastly, I am taking a huge risk by allowing people who aren't active to sign up for the last 10 spots, so pleas ONLY sign up if you're 100% certain you'll actively participate. It may be as little as 2-5 posts per week of activity in the game thread.
    Last edited by Scholar; 10-10-2013 at 03:20 PM.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Default Re: Anybody want to join an ISH competition when the reg season starts?

If it ends up as about one or two picks per week per individual, I'll do it.

If it's more than that I don't think I can keep up with it.
    Last edited by tmacattack33; 10-07-2013 at 10:58 AM.

I'm down for this.

count me in

I want you guys to be active. I don't care about your post count. I just want people to join who can ensure me they'll at a minimum always participate in the choosing of winners. I don't care if you're not active anywhere else on ISH as long as you pick your predictions and maybe check the main thread every so often to check the standings.

Sounds good. I'm in.

Do you wanna pick against the spread instead? I think I'm interested either way.

EDIT: I'd recommend only picking national games, so it's a smaller pool and easier to keep track of it. I can set up a Google Docs spreadsheet if you need help keeping track of picks/stats.

Next Great White Hope QuebecBaller's Avatar

I'm in

On a nightly basis, a weekly basis, or just whenever a big matchup comes along like Thunder-Spurs, Grizz-Clips, Bulls-Heat etc etc?

Near-Life Experience TheGreatDeraj's Avatar

I would like in.

I like idea about using the games on national television.

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

In

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Do you wanna pick against the spread instead? I think I'm interested either way.

EDIT: I'd recommend only picking national games, so it's a smaller pool and easier to keep track of it. I can set up a Google Docs spreadsheet if you need help keeping track of picks/stats.
    Nah. I'd like to keep it the way I suggested because it's just simpler overall. 1 pt per accurate winner prediction & 1 pt per accurate marginal of win. Maybe another pt for accurately predicting who is the leader in points, rebounds an assists for the game. Idk. I'll think more about it in the next few days.

The spreadsheet sounds good, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    On a nightly basis, a weekly basis, or just whenever a big matchup comes along like Thunder-Spurs, Grizz-Clips, Bulls-Heat etc etc?
    Most likely big match-ups but I'd like to have at least 2-3 games per week for people to vote through. That way we can possibly have close rankings throughout.

i'm in.

I'll do it. But it should be 2 points for picking the correct margin since that's more difficult.

OP updated.