Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Serious playground baller

Default Re: Bulking Up for Basketball?

Quote Originally Posted by Money 23
    Muscle weighs more than fat. There is no point at all in being beefy even off barbells for basketball.

It's a game predicated on quickness, speed, versatility and losing a defender as quickly as possible. If he's not a low block guy, making yourself bulkier and slower is a bad option. Especially top heavy bulk. Quick way to ruin your knees and ankles in a sport that requires quick cuts and change of direction.

What guards or forwards do you see that are bulky? Bball players are streamlined. This isn't football. It's not run straight forward and be big enough to have muscle as padding to take physical punishment.

Just stop giving advice.

Need more?

http://www.muscleprodigy.com/the-top...arcl-2671.html

again I would never suggest that an athlete become a bodybuilder (thought it's been done)

[img]http://forum.a1supplements.com/images/stories/PhilHeath.jpg[img]

I'm just saying hitting the weights can be beneficial.
    Last edited by 01amberfirewv; 02-11-2013 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    im gonna keep it simple for you.

get stronger. that's it. dont sacrifice performance just to get "big". Size is not always a function of strength, I know a lot of skinnier players who are strong as hell. By the same token, I know a lot of big dudes who are fast as hell.

You can workout but if your performance suffers you are probably not doing workouts that are customized to your playing ability or goals as a player. forget the whole getting big will make you slower and all that, that's the wrong thought process in the first place. Do the right workouts and you will get stronger without sacrificing performance.

This is key, I have my players do full body splits instead of working body parts.

Some of the best workouts are here

http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_onl...iation_society

Quote Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
    This is key, I have my players do full body splits instead of working body parts.

Some of the best workouts are here

http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_onl...iation_society
    im using this RIGHT NOW as a matter of fact. its AWESOME for basketball players you really can't get too big if you mix up your workouts every week and your strength goes up like CRAZY in the first month

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    im using this RIGHT NOW as a matter of fact. its AWESOME for basketball players you really can't get too big if you mix up your workouts every week and your strength goes up like CRAZY in the first month

They also have a workout to increase your vertical that's as good or better than anything else out there including jump manual.

You hit on my other point as well. I would say some of the guys I posted have had some extra pharmaceutical help to add muscle and all of them have nutritionist to monitor their diets and sleep. Your not going to get huge by just lifting weights. It takes a lots of time and eating to get big. The average athlete can only put on 5-10 pounds of muscle in a year and that's with lots of eating and rest. If your playing ball your not getting enough rest to come close to that

Mother of pearl!!

Quote Originally Posted by B-Low
    Mother of pearl!!

Yeah, he could probably be a competitive bodybuilder if his basketball career doesn't work out

Quote Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
    Yeah, he could probably be a competitive bodybuilder if his basketball career doesn't work out
    Joey Graham? im pretty sure it already didn't work out

I wouldn't recommend you to stop cardio if you're trying to bulk up because you might get a gut if you're taking supplements. Just keep cardio for your off days when you're not lifiting.