Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Dunking on everybody in the park

Default Re: Bulking Up for Basketball?

What position do you play? If you're guard, then there are more important physical aspects to improve then bulking up.

Such as explosiveness, and fitness...no sense getting big when in the last few minutes of the games you're gassed and can't hit a hot.

Learning to shoot layups MtMutombo's Avatar

It's up to you, but those guys are right - bulking up will slow you down. P90x is a full body work out and will have you looking more like a male model than bulkier.
    At that age, I'd generally advise you to work your ass off on fundamentals and you will find your playing niche.

Decent playground baller L3B120N J4M35's Avatar

thanks guys. i appreciate it. I'mma lift weights and stuff but not "bulk up." any tips?

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by L3B120N J4M35
    thanks guys. i appreciate it. I'mma lift weights and stuff but not "bulk up." any tips?
    Don't neglect pullups. I've seen too many skinny ballers struggling to do pullups and it's depressing, because I know they'd be faster if they got their back strength up.

Better to be too good at pullups then not good enough, haha!

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by hamworld05
    Don't neglect pullups. I've seen too many skinny ballers struggling to do pullups and it's depressing, because I know they'd be faster if they got their back strength up.

Better to be too good at pullups then not good enough, haha!
    I didn't know that, pullups make you faster??? Thought it was just upperbody strength.

I am gonna google that...interesting, as I could do with a bit more acceleration.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by stevieming
    I didn't know that, pullups make you faster??? Thought it was just upperbody strength.

I am gonna google that...interesting, as I could do with a bit more acceleration.

Strength makes you faster. I'm not sure why some people still believe that muscle makes you slower, its just doesn't. Look at sprinters, they are always muscular. If your doing it right weight training will only help.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by stevieming

It ain't magical, but I remember being HORRIBLE at pullups(couldn't do 1). No matter how hard I worked, I couldn't keep up with the other guys in terms of conditioning and speed. I'm pretty sure there was a connection. It's not the only connection, but that's just rubbing salt in the wound.

I would hope since then, life is a bit easier on the court...

My arms are pretty small, so i want to get bigger for basketball. I am pretty toned but i want em bigger. so I'm currently doing p90x (only 3 days a week; Chest & Back Monday, Shoulders & Arms Wednesday, Legs & Back Friday whilst trying to eat a lot) removing all the cardio stuff considering im trying to bulk up. is that gonna help? any tips for bulking either?
    If you do lift weights, take it easy. you dont want to overdo it on weights at age 15 when your body is still growing.

Working out my upper body helped my bball game a lot. I was kind of skinny/scrawney growing up, once I gained arm, shoulder and back muscles the main thing I noticed in terms of my basketball game was how much easier I could finish with contact. People could still push me in the air, but it became much easier to maintain my momentum and balance, and therefore easier to take fouls and finish shots inside. I think it also helped to improve my range on my shot, or at least it allowed me to increase my range without sacrificing my shooting form.

That said, my advice is take it slow at first and dont get too focused on working on particular muscles - ie biceps or abs or whatever. If you are working out for the sake of basketball, legs should be at least 50% of your workouts. Also, you dont want to neglect your back and core muscles. One thing that helped me was to use workouts that target multiple muscle groups at once. Pushups and pullups are excellent and free. I also recommend swimming, like hardcore swimming. If you have access to a pool, go swimming and swim good and hard for like 30min-1hr, great workout for your p90x offdays.

Also, make sure to eat right and drink plenty of water. Get a blender and drink a protein + other nutrient shake daily and you will be guaranteed to start bulking up. All you need for a great shake is a scoop of protein powder, 8 oz of orange juice, a bit of yogurt, and then whatever random fruits and vegetables happen to be in the fridge.
    Last edited by Nanners; 02-09-2013 at 05:54 AM.

Samurai Swoosh

Quote Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
    Strength makes you faster. I'm not sure why some people still believe that muscle makes you slower, its just doesn't. Look at sprinters, they are always muscular. If your doing it right weight training will only help.
    Adding strength is different than bulking up. Bulking up absolutely slows you down. What planet are you from? The goal for basketball is to be streamlined. Strong core is really important.

yes bulk up for basketball, at the same time always develop your skills if you want to be taken seriuosly against the big boys

Decent playground baller L3B120N J4M35's Avatar

im getting mixed responses from you guys haha

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Money 23
    Adding strength is different than bulking up. Bulking up absolutely slows you down. What planet are you from? The goal for basketball is to be streamlined. Strong core is really important.

You talking about bulking up off of barbells or big mac's. If your adding muscle the right way it takes a lot of time. Your not going to spend a few months in the gym and come out looking like Jay Cuttler. If done the right way it'll only help.

Saw a basketball once

when you have a 40 inch vertical, you're going to be dangerous on the court no matter how "skinny" you think you are.

Samurai Swoosh

Quote Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
    You talking about bulking up off of barbells or big mac's. If your adding muscle the right way it takes a lot of time. Your not going to spend a few months in the gym and come out looking like Jay Cuttler. If done the right way it'll only help.
    Muscle weighs more than fat. There is no point at all in being beefy even off barbells for basketball.

It's a game predicated on quickness, speed, versatility and losing a defender as quickly as possible. If he's not a low block guy, making yourself bulkier and slower is a bad option. Especially top heavy bulk. Quick way to ruin your knees and ankles in a sport that requires quick cuts and change of direction.

What guards or forwards do you see that are bulky? Bball players are streamlined. This isn't football. It's not run straight forward and be big enough to have muscle as padding to take physical punishment.

Just stop giving advice.

im gonna keep it simple for you.

get stronger. that's it. dont sacrifice performance just to get "big". Size is not always a function of strength, I know a lot of skinnier players who are strong as hell. By the same token, I know a lot of big dudes who are fast as hell.

You can workout but if your performance suffers you are probably not doing workouts that are customized to your playing ability or goals as a player. forget the whole getting big will make you slower and all that, that's the wrong thought process in the first place. Do the right workouts and you will get stronger without sacrificing performance.