Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default How is it in 2011 people are still doing the "Oh well Horry has ___ rings" thing?

Back in the old ISH days it was Kerr as well.

How the ****....does anyone...still feel that makes a legit point?

And even worse....people still have to explain why it doesnt make sense....

Do these people think they just thought it up every time?

If not...do they not see the exact same response that negates it every single time its said?

This is worse than commentators saying "The most dangerous guy is the one inbounding the ball". At least that is often the case...just mentioned too often.

This? I have to know....how is this still among the most common "Rings dont matter' arguments?

How does someone type out "Yea well Horry has ___" and feel they just made a good point?

For the longest time I thought it was a running joke. But it isnt. People honestly keep thinking it makes a point. I think I asked this a few years ago and assumed it would die down with time.

Here I am 10 years in having heard this argument 2-3 times a week(while avoiding most of the kinds of topics they are in as well). And it just doesnt end.

Really...the ****?

Local High School Star

Default Re: How is it in 2011 people are still doing the "Oh well Horry has ___ rings" thing?

I legitimately feel Robert Horry is one of the more underrated players of the past 20 years.

But that's another story.

NBA lottery pick

Default Re: How is it in 2011 people are still doing the "Oh well Horry has ___ rings" thing?

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    Because Kobe stans think him having 5 rings automatically makes him better than players he is not better than, either all time (i.e. Larry Bird) or now (i.e. Dwyane Wade).
    kobe bryant > larry bird

Banned

a ring is a team accomplishment

that being said, none of the teams he won a ring with would have had a chance without him

one of the best role players in history

NBA lottery pick

In what universe? I suppose you think he's better than MJ, Wilt, Kareem, Magic, Bill Russell and Shaq too?
    no just bird

I think it's because of the Kobe sidekick situation Kblaze.

When Kobe still didn't win as the man before 2009 and people were saying who is the better player between LeBron, Wade, etc... They always would Kobe and the main reasoning would be because of "3 rings".

Though he did have outstanding runs in 2001 and 2002, he was the 2nd option in all 3 of those championship runs. Yet, because he had 3 rings > better than the young up and comers like LeBron and co..

That's why people start saying

"Oh well in that case Robert Horry 7 rings > Karl Malone 0 rings, right ?"

or

"Robert Horry 7 rings > Michael Jordan 6 rings, because he has 1 more, right ?"

I think in the counter arguement, the person vaguely argues that ring is individual accomplishment and because Horry has won the most rings in Modern NBA history, most people would identify as the guy who "won 7 rings".

Not because he was the best player on any of them, but because he has them, anyways.

Does it prove a point ? No, it a vague, cliche, counter arguement.

Anyone can debunk it if they can break it down. For me it's just compare the leaders of championship team, compare players year by year, etc... See which playes is on who's level... Not bring the standard role player as X amount of rings...

Banned

Because Kobe stans think him having 5 rings automatically makes him better than players he is not better than, either all time (i.e. Larry Bird) or now (i.e. Dwyane Wade).
    It's not just having rings. It's about winning. The object of the game is to win. You think Wade would rather shoot 53% in the finals and lose or shoot 42% and win? If rings didn't matter why the hell did LeBron leave the team that drafted him and the city that worshiped him and become the most hated man in the NBA? He wants to win. That's what's important. Are there other factors that contribute to a player's greatness? of course. But those things mean nothing if they don't translate into obtaining the ultimate prize: and NBA championship.

It's not even a good point in the context. Is Robert Horry considered better than Karl Malone no, but is one of the most revered role players of all time? Is he not considered better than literally thousands of role players with "better numbers"?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
    It's not just having rings. It's about winning. The object of the game is to win. You think Wade would rather shoot 53% in the finals and lose or shoot 42% and win? If rings didn't matter why the hell did LeBron leave the team that drafted him and the city that worshiped him and become the most hated man in the NBA? He wants to win. That's what's important. Are there other factors that contribute to a player's greatness? of course. But those things mean nothing if they don't translate into obtaining the ultimate prize: and NBA championship.

NBA lottery pick

Well, that's slightly better then. I guess.
    Kobe Bryant definitely has a good case, You make it sound like that's an outrageous statement.. kobe is top 10 already and he's only 33

Learning to shoot layups

lol @ these morons.

That argument is often used in discussions that have nothing to do with Bryant.

Idiots making it about Kobe only.

Banned

When did I say rings didn't matter? Re-read my post please.
    You said "Oh Robert Horry has 7 rings." to try and devalue the importance of them when someone mentioned that Kobe has 5 rings. That's understating their value.

Kobe is arguably top 10, he's declining and getting older, and is unlikely to win another ring as "the man" unless something unforseen happens.
    kobe is top 10, its not even arguable

It is most definitely arguable.
    for haters, I know
    for knowledgeable people, it isnt

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Back in the old ISH days it was Kerr as well.

How the ****....does anyone...still feel that makes a legit point?

And even worse....people still have to explain why it doesnt make sense....

Do these people think they just thought it up every time?

If not...do they not see the exact same response that negates it every single time its said?

This is worse than commentators saying "The most dangerous guy is the one inbounding the ball". At least that is often the case...just mentioned too often.

This? I have to know....how is this still among the most common "Rings dont matter' arguments?

How does someone type out "Yea well Horry has ___" and feel they just made a good point?

For the longest time I thought it was a running joke. But it isnt. People honestly keep thinking it makes a point. I think I asked this a few years ago and assumed it would die down with time.

Here I am 10 years in having heard this argument 2-3 times a week(while avoiding most of the kinds of topics they are in as well). And it just doesnt end.

Really...the ****?
    Cuz Kobe stans think Kobe is better than Lebron cuz he has 5 rings