Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Default Re: Ray Allen top 10 SG of all time?

Quote Originally Posted by Champ
    I think Ray has a good argument for the top 10.

Just curious: For the sake of this discussion, are we classifying Hondo has a guard or forward? If the former, he needs to be somewhere in the top 5.
    This stuff makes it tricky. Hal Greer is sometimes called a PG. So is Jerry West. Iverson was PG size and defended PGs, or just sort ran all over really, but was assigned to PGs on that end. Earl Monroe was really a second PG next to Clyde in NY, and most of his legend is as a player with the ball running things.
    If these guys all count, I'd do this, which puts him 9th, but I could live with any number of other variations, with only a few deliniations (Like, if we're counting those guys, then the top four is the top four, even if you want to shuffle them around some):

Michael Jordan

Jerry West

Kobe Bryant

Hondo

Dwyane Wade

Sam Jones

Clyde Drexler

Greer

Ray Allen

David Thompson

Earl Monroe

Gervin

Vince Carter

Reggie Miller

Sharman

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987
    I know you're trolling, but why are Drexler and Gercin better than Wade?

Greer, Sharman, Thomson, Monroe, and Jones are NOT better than Ray Allen. You must've not gotten his games in Canada, when he played for the Sonics and Bucks.

The better question is...how is Wade better than Drexler and Gervin?

Wow, Ray gettin disrespected here. It's almost like yawl don't remember him being the man and scoring nicely with the Bucks and gettin them to the playoffs with the 2 solid teammates in Sam Cassel and Glenn "Big Dog" Robinson. Ray even showed Michael Redd the ropes.

Yawl really don't remember Allen upping his already amazing game with the Sonics? On a givin night he can score just as fluid as Kobe.

I mean, wen u look at his prime, he already had an argument for top 13 SG. Then he ends up in Boston as a key player in them winning a title and even advancing past the Chicago Bulls in 09'. (Yawl watched that series) So unlike other SGs on u guys list, he won a title.

Then this past playoffs he was a key role player for the Heat. And he even hit the shot that saved Heats season (and Lebrons career) on way to another title.

Just sayin, for me, Ray is top 7 atleast.

Jordan
    Kobe
    West
    Wade
    Drexler
    Mitch
    Allen
    Miller.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    This stuff makes it tricky. Hal Greer is sometimes called a PG. So is Jerry West. Iverson was PG size and defended PGs, or just sort ran all over really, but was assigned to PGs on that end. Earl Monroe was really a second PG next to Clyde in NY, and most of his legend is as a player with the ball running things.
    If these guys all count, I'd do this, which puts him 9th, but I could live with any number of other variations, with only a few deliniations (Like, if we're counting those guys, then the top four is the top four, even if you want to shuffle them around some):

Michael Jordan

Jerry West

Kobe Bryant

Hondo

Dwyane Wade

Sam Jones

Clyde Drexler

Greer

Ray Allen

David Thompson

Earl Monroe

Gervin

Vince Carter

Reggie Miller

Sharman
    Solid list, Thorpe.

Quote Originally Posted by MP.Trey
    Side note: David Thompson is so severely disrespected by ISH.

His prime was very short plus his career was ending just as the Bird/Magic era was beginning. That was a long time ago. but the guy was a spectacular player with crazy hops. He was the MJ of his time.

He put up some sick numbers in college too.

For myself, SG is the hardest position to rank the all-time greatest. Ray definitely has a strong case for top 10.

Considering everything, think I got the top 7 settled, like this:

1. MJ
    2. Kobe
    3. West
    4. Wade
    5. Drexler
    6. Gervin (seeing he's underrated af right here, great prime/peak, almost MVP a couple of times, beast in the PS, almost in the Finals with teams that had no business being there.. longevity hurts him though)
    7. AI

Then it gets tough because you got players like Ray, Moncrief, Maravich (forgotten here), Dumars, Monroe, Sam Jones, Richmond, Greer, Miller, Sharman, David Thompson, Vince Carter.. But yeah Ray has a good case for top 10. Of course, regarding peaks my list would've been different.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ
    Just curious: For the sake of this discussion, are we classifying Hondo has a guard or forward? If the former, he needs to be somewhere in the top 5.

I classify him as a SF, even though he could and played plenty at the 2. Got him at #4 in my all-time SF list (even though it would've been different just for peaks, with Baylor above, who I got below, for example).

Quote Originally Posted by longhornfan1234
    The better question is...how is Wade better than Drexler and Gervin?
    He's better than them in almost every aspect of the game.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by branslowski
    Wow, Ray gettin disrespected here. It's almost like yawl don't remember him being the man and scoring nicely with the Bucks and gettin them to the playoffs with the 2 solid teammates in Sam Cassel and Glenn "Big Dog" Robinson. Ray even showed Michael Redd the ropes.

Yawl really don't remember Allen upping his already amazing game with the Sonics? On a givin night he can score just as fluid as Kobe.

I mean, wen u look at his prime, he already had an argument for top 13 SG. Then he ends up in Boston as a key player in them winning a title and even advancing past the Chicago Bulls in 09'. (Yawl watched that series) So unlike other SGs on u guys list, he won a title.

Then this past playoffs he was a key role player for the Heat. And he even hit the shot that saved Heats season (and Lebrons career) on way to another title.

Just sayin, for me, Ray is top 7 atleast.

Jordan
    Kobe
    West
    Wade
    Drexler
    Mitch
    Allen
    Miller.
    Where's Iverson?

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    Where's Iverson?
    Oh shit, I can't believe Iverson slipped my mind...

Jordan
    Kobe
    West
    Wade
    Iverson
    Drexler
    Mitch
    Allen

Sorry A.I. can't believe I forgot about you.

Sam Jones (10 rings, Celtics Dynasty's best scorer, most clutch player OF ALL TIME) and Earl Monroe are missing on a lot of peoples lists

Generally speaking, I think Gervin's a bit overrated historically. David Thompson too, although it gets a little dicey, because he's a little underrated historically as a college player, where he's a legit all timer.

And Sam Jones to me may be the most underrated player of all time regardless of position.

Dumars may belong on my list somewhere toward the bottom. If I were picking a team from scratch I'd rather have Dumars than Sharman or Reggie. If my team were built certain ways I'd take Reggie, but I'm not the biggest Reggie fan either.

I also missed Iverson, even after mentioning him, who's I'd put somewhere in the Monroe/Gervin/Thompson group, and Moncrief, who I'd add somewhere near where I'd add Dumars.
    Last edited by Thorpesaurous; 10-07-2013 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987
    He's better than them in almost every aspect of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by longhornfan1234
    Can we get a counter argument outside of emoticons ?

It seems like you think Wade is DeMar DeRozan vs Drexler and Gervin.

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7

Clyde is more skilled all around player. He's better shooter, passer, rebounder, and defender. Wade's supporting cast dwarfs Drexler's. Drexlers sidekick in his prime was Terry Porter.

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7

Gervin is just a much different player. And if I needed a bucket, I'd take Gervin over either of those guys 100 times out of a 100. But both of the other guys are worlds ahead defensively and on the glass.

Wade actually reminds me a good deal of Drexler, in his head down approach in the open floor when he was at his best. The titles and the ability to create and hit that pull up when he has to go left seperate him from Drexler just a bit to me.