Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trip to Arlington National Cemetery today

NBA Legend

Default Re: Trip to Arlington National Cemetery today

Nice, mang. I was just at the Key Bridge Marriott in Arlington last weekend for a wedding. Unfortunately we didn't have time to do much site seeing, still have not been to ANC. Really liked what I saw of the DC area though, save for the traffic. Hopefully next time I'll get to see more of the landmarks and historical features.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Nice, mang. I was just at the Key Bridge Marriott in Arlington last weekend for a wedding. Unfortunately we didn't have time to do much site seeing, still have not been to ANC. Really liked what I saw of the DC area though, save for the traffic. Hopefully next time I'll get to see more of the landmarks and historical features.
    For the most part, DC seems like a wonderful place to live other than the living expenses and some certain shady areas for me so far. Always stuff to do, really good food, amazing networking opportunities. I got fked by the sun today though:

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sammichoffate
    For the most part, DC seems like a wonderful place to live other than the living expenses and some certain shady areas for me so far. Always stuff to do, really good food, amazing networking opportunities. I got fked by the sun today though:
    I always drive by there in DC and quietly think about all those who risked their lives for our freedom. RIP to all fallen countrymen in every past war.

Yeah DC is not a place I would want to live in but it's a great place to visit. The shady parts of DC are wild although as usual gentrification fixes crime issues in most issues. Northeast DC is a hot spot for gentrification.

I agree with the food. I was shocked how good the restaurants were. Always stuff to do... eh to be honest, I feel the nightlife is a little too professional/snobby at times. The disparity of wealth is kind of crazy once you drive through DC. Some of the rooftop places near the White House are apparently very posh.

Agreed wholeheartedly with the networking opportunities. I would even argue the networking opportunities for politics/law in DC is on par with finance in NYC maybe even more.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

DC is a great city. Especially if you have money, or if you're in an expendable income mode, like vacation. My Grandfather is buried in Arlington.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    DC is a great city. Especially if you have money, or if you're in an expendable income mode, like vacation. My Grandfather is buried in Arlington.
    Thank you to your grandpa, friend. When did he serve?

Quote Originally Posted by NBAplayoffs2001
    I always drive by there in DC and quietly think about all those who risked their lives for our freedom. RIP to all fallen countrymen in every past war.

Yeah DC is not a place I would want to live in but it's a great place to visit. The shady parts of DC are wild although as usual gentrification fixes crime issues in most issues. Northeast DC is a hot spot for gentrification.

I agree with the food. I was shocked how good the restaurants were. Always stuff to do... eh to be honest, I feel the nightlife is a little too professional/snobby at times. The disparity of wealth is kind of crazy once you drive through DC. Some of the rooftop places near the White House are apparently very posh.

Agreed wholeheartedly with the networking opportunities. I would even argue the networking opportunities for politics/law in DC is on par with finance in NYC maybe even more.
    I'm in NE by NOMA, it's growing but it's one of the most ghetto areas i've seen lol. Yeah nightlife can be meh, i'm not much of a clubber but there's a lot of things to do other than that like live music. I actually went to a speaking event yesterday with Melinda Gates talking about her foundation. Melinda. Gates.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

I'm in NE by NOMA, it's growing but it's one of the most ghetto areas i've seen lol. Yeah nightlife can be meh, i'm not much of a clubber but there's a lot of things to do other than that like live music. I actually went to a speaking event yesterday with Melinda Gates talking about her foundation. Melinda. Gates.
    In terms of ghetto areas, to me nothing beats North Philly for me. I remember the neighborhood above where I lived had one of the highest violent crime rates in the city. One street especially had a handful of gun crimes seemingly happen on it. Even heard some local mothers saying they say no to their kids wanting to go to that area at night. Looking homeless (purposely wore sweats if I wanted to get food from outside past 1am to be safe) and growing a thick beard always helped me. No one thought I was a college kid . I've had two times or so where I nearly got assaulted by an angry homeless man. One guy because I gave him a $1 and he clearly saw I had $3 more in my wallet. Nearly chased me down the block for it.
    Last edited by NBAplayoffs2001; 06-25-2016 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NBAplayoffs2001
    In terms of ghetto areas, to me nothing beats North Philly for me. I remember the neighborhood above where I lived had one of the highest violent crime rates in the city. One street especially had a handful of gun crimes seemingly happen on it. Even heard some local mothers saying they say no to their kids wanting to go to that area at night. Looking homeless (purposely wore sweats if I wanted to get food from outside past 1am to be safe) and growing a thick beard always helped me. No one thought I was a college kid . I've had two times or so where I nearly got assaulted by an angry homeless man. One guy because I gave him a $1 and he clearly saw I had $3 more in my wallet. Nearly chased me down the block for it.

lesson learned.......never give to bums

I'd never live in DC. The traffic alone is a no-go.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

DC a great city
    You ever see the tent people of the town

DC has the most homeless people of USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper
    DC a great city
    You ever see the tent people of the town

DC has the most homeless people of USA
    It's the most visually unique of all the cities I've visited in the US.

Thank you to your grandpa, friend. When did he serve?
    He was a career air force guy who started in the calvary before planes even. He also was a base commander at a few places, and worked for Nasa, and finally retired at Sikorsky Helicopter, which is how my family got to Connecticut.

He was a career air force guy who started in the calvary before planes even. He also was a base commander at a few places, and worked for Nasa, and finally retired at Sikorsky Helicopter, which is how my family got to Connecticut.

It's the most visually unique of all the cities I've visited in the US.

DC buildings are beautiful and regal downtown