Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How useful would this player be?

Imagine an NBA player...who would make open long 2 shots 100% of the time. He can't shoot 3s, can't dribble at all, average defender, slightly below average passer, average height and is a shooting guard. His only specialty is he will make open long 2s every single time and his FT% is also 100%.

What would he be worth? Near max contract? Out of the NBA?

Default Re: How useful would this player be?

Seriously? Make 100% of long 2s? He would be an all time great. As long as he can move around like Rip Hamilton or Ray Allen and get open for spot up jumpers.

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    Seriously? Make 100% of long 2s? He would be an all time great. As long as he can move around like Rip Hamilton or Ray Allen and get open for spot up jumpers.

The thing is...the world is littered with guys who could probably shoot 75+% from wide open 20 foot shots. But, if they can't get open, they would be worthless. And you can be sure that opposing teams would lock down a guy that can't dribble. And if he was useless at the other end...well, he wouldn't be on an NBA roster.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    The thing is...the world is littered with guys who could probably shoot 75+% from wide open 20 foot shots. But, if they can't get open, they would be worthless. And you can be sure that opposing teams would lock down a guy that can't dribble. And if he was useless at the other end...well, he wouldn't be on an NBA roster.
    Stats prove the highest pct a player hits on long 2s is about 55%. It's incredibly tough to hit high pct on long 2s in games. Sure, in practice most pros can hit 80/100. But not in games. A guy who hits 100% on long 2s would devastate the league. Heck, 80% would devastate.

And if teams have to use another man to shade this player, it opens things up for his teammates. That's the benefit of being a dominant offensive player, you attract doubles. As long as this guy can move and get open like a Ray Allen through picks, he would tear the league apart. And OP said average defender.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

It's kind of sad how this sounds exactly like I am as a player.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

So like worse passing, obviously better shooting, SG version of current David West.

That he's an average defender with the absurd midrange keeps him in the league. Coaches track everything. He's shooting 100% on long twos, coaches are going to run plays for that guy to get open.

If he shot 100% from long-2, he would always be on a team in hopes he would improve his shooting, passing, etc.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Bobcats could use the jumpshooting.

I rule the local playground

That's a max contract guy. Doesn't even matter how good his passing is if whatever he fires up in the long 2 range goes in. You can have him take 60 shots a game and there's nothing any team can do.

I mean, sh[COLOR="Black"]i[/COLOR]t, he could have all five guys on him but if he's shooting 100% anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn
    That's a max contract guy. Doesn't even matter how good his passing is if whatever he fires up in the long 2 range goes in. You can have him take 60 shots a game and there's nothing any team can do.

I mean, sh[COLOR="Black"]i[/COLOR]t, he could have all five guys on him but if he's shooting 100% anyway...
    Open long 2s. The kind you see Ibaka/Bosh takes.

NBA Legend

Red face Re: How useful would this player be?

More useful than Kobe but less useful than Lebron.

sounds like prime kobe

Quote Originally Posted by Lebronxrings
    sounds like prime kobe
    How well do you know Kobe?
    He actually shoots a low % but does the intangibles esp when he is locked in.
    Plays great defense like vs Rondo, rebounds well if needed just like game 7 vs Celts.
    Spots shooters like Fisher, pump fakes then gets to the line, finds Pau or Shaq inside. etc etc.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by tamaraw08
    How well do you know Kobe?
    He actually shoots a low % but does the intangibles esp when he is locked in.
    Plays great defense like vs Rondo, rebounds well if needed just like game 7 vs Celts.
    Spots shooters like Fisher, pump fakes then gets to the line, finds Pau or Shaq inside. etc etc.

GOAT media myth

He might make a team but I couldn't see him being a starter only being able to shoot 100% open 2s. Half of the players in the NBA could probably make 75%+ of their shots if they only took open 2s, so the range doesn't really matter unless that's just the only place he could get open. Being a 100% 2pt shooter won't make up for his faults in all other areas. IMO