Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Sleeve

Default Re: Shooting Sleeve

Quote Originally Posted by lil_watz
    Looks like we have another baller out there playing for looks. If anyone of my players came to tryouts or practice wearing one of these I would laugh at them.
    Please learn to read before making retarded comments. I clearly asked if it would benefit me wearing one or not, not would I look good in one?

Chances are I will spare myself the expense and not get one.

Please, go ahead and laugh at Allen Iverson.

Good college starter

When I started using the sleeve it really helped me with my long range shooting. I use the NBA sleeve it works but for me the edge at the very top of the sleeve doesn't fit but the rest of it do but then I have the arms of Rip Hamilton. The NBA sleeve cost 14.99 if you looking at more opinions on sleeves you can also try on the underarmour sleeve that is 19.99 but it has a better compression material than the NBA sleeve. Then their is the sleeve made by McDavid which is the sleeve that Carmello and D-Wade wears. It cost 24.99 and it has padding on it to keep you from hurting your elbow if you hit it something.

Here is nba sleeve
    http://store.nba.com/product/index.j...br /> 1421532

Here is the mcdavid sleeve
    http://www.mcdavidusa.com/store/item...73&ITEM_ID=426

Here is the underarmour sleeve
    http://www.underarmour.com/shop/mens...ve/8000068-100
    Last edited by idizzle; 01-19-2008 at 01:56 PM.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Well since I have already made a retarded comment let me post this for those who might be interested in buying a shooting sleeve.

"What it is: A form-fitting sleeve, typically made from a synthetic blend of nylon and spandex, that's worn over the forearm and bicep or your shooting arm.

What it's supposed to do: Keep the shooting arm warm, prevent muscles from cramping or overstretching, and help you maintain proper shooting form.

What it actually does: Looks cool. Makes your arm sweaty.

What it says about you: The shooting sleeve was first popularized by Allen Iverson and has been worn by other fan-favorites such as Dwyane Wade and Carmelo Anthony. Yes, those guys are All-Stars, but don't be fooled; this is not a performance-enhancing device. NBA players may claim that the sleeve provides some kind of superficial assistance to their play, but we all know it's more of a fashion statement than anything else, like cornrows, tattoos, and Kobe Bryant's Peter Pan-style tights.

If you currenty wear or have worn a shooting sleeve, you're probably the kind of person who wants to artificially improve your performance without actually practicing. Furthermore, you want other players to know, simply by seeing your pimped-out appearance, that you are a serious baller. This is just a guess, but you probably also pay way too much for shoes (I'm talking easily $100+ per pair), wear throwback jerseys to your pickup league, and maybe even own an official pair of NBA socks (making sure the logo is prominently displayed during games). In short, you take pickup basketball, and yourself, a little -- scratch that, a lot -- too seriously.

Cost and availability: $14.99 (plus S&H) at the NBA online store."

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

It doesn't help your shooting at all. It's designed to keep the blood circulating properly in your arm. That's why Allen Iverson started wearing it AFTER he suffered an arm injury.

Saw a basketball once

I guess it can have the same effect as a knee brace or ankle wrap/brace.. it keeps the joint compressed and warm. at the same time i dont think your forearm and elbow need that compression as much as ur ankle n knees.

i still think it looks wack just because all the people i see wearing them are show boaters or arent actually good and just makes them look worse wearin it. like someone else said its like they r trying to take short cuts instead of training and practicing their jumper.. i mean if you want one for your arm, why not get one for your calves(which they do have), and heck while your at it why don't you wear a full body compression suit to play in? lol

i believe it can have a psycological effect because ppl just 'feel' like a better player when they wear it. just like wearing jordans or what not. i guess w/e floats ur boat u kno?

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by lil_watz
    Well since I have already made a retarded comment let me post this for those who might be interested in buying a shooting sleeve.

"What it is: A form-fitting sleeve, typically made from a synthetic blend of nylon and spandex, that's worn over the forearm and bicep or your shooting arm.

What it's supposed to do: Keep the shooting arm warm, prevent muscles from cramping or overstretching, and help you maintain proper shooting form.

What it actually does: Looks cool. Makes your arm sweaty.

What it says about you: The shooting sleeve was first popularized by Allen Iverson and has been worn by other fan-favorites such as Dwyane Wade and Carmelo Anthony. Yes, those guys are All-Stars, but don't be fooled; this is not a performance-enhancing device. NBA players may claim that the sleeve provides some kind of superficial assistance to their play, but we all know it's more of a fashion statement than anything else, like cornrows, tattoos, and Kobe Bryant's Peter Pan-style tights.

If you currenty wear or have worn a shooting sleeve, you're probably the kind of person who wants to artificially improve your performance without actually practicing. Furthermore, you want other players to know, simply by seeing your pimped-out appearance, that you are a serious baller. This is just a guess, but you probably also pay way too much for shoes (I'm talking easily $100+ per pair), wear throwback jerseys to your pickup league, and maybe even own an official pair of NBA socks (making sure the logo is prominently displayed during games). In short, you take pickup basketball, and yourself, a little -- scratch that, a lot -- too seriously.

Cost and availability: $14.99 (plus S&H) at the NBA online store."

Do you need a hug? How the hell can a shooting sleeve articially improve your performance? You might as well say headbands, knee braces, and mouthpieces help you peform better. Where did buying $100.00 shoes come from? We're talking about a damn shooting sleeve. If you don't like the sleeves thats fine, but I was addressing the person who wanted to know about the sleeve.

Love me or Hate me Unreal Skill's Avatar

Don't buy the NBA one, not worth it. Hardly any support and comes only in one size.

"Do you need a hug? How the hell can a shooting sleeve articially improve your performance? You might as well say headbands, knee braces, and mouthpieces help you peform better. Where did buying $100.00 shoes come from? We're talking about a damn shooting sleeve. If you don't like the sleeves thats fine, but I was addressing the person who wanted to know about the sleeve."

Did I say it improved the preformance? What the quote I posted was saying how rediculous people are when they walk on the court. They try and look like a baller rather than actually playing. Read the quote again and maybe you will understand. Your right I dont like the sleeve, it is ridiculous. And I am addressing all of you who think looking cool makes you better, if that is you sorry I offended you.

Good college starter

You didnt offend me. I don't wear stuff to make a fashion statement. I'm not really a fan of headbands but some wear headbands for fashion and some wear them to keep sweat out their eye. The sleeve really helps to keep my arm fresh to keep me shooting in the game. But I get what you saying.

Thats fair. I'm glad we are on somewhat of the same page.

Shooting sleeves are mostly for fashion. Iverson doesnt wear it cause it helps him to shoot. He uses it to cover up several obscene tattoos on his arm, as asked by the NBA.

I dont see the harm in trying it though, it might help you, you never know.

Saw a basketball once cgunther20's Avatar

I just wanted to point that basically no college player wears one. That's what establishes my opinion that they are mainly just for show, however i do agree that it helps with the blood circulation aspect that was mentioned earlier.

Saw a basketball once

Which would you prefer out of the NBA or Under Armour sleeves?

I tried my cousin's Under Armour sleeve on and it felt nice but it was a little long and I still had some room to put it on. I was originally going to buy an NBA one because I assumed the NBA and Under Armour sleeves were made from the same material.

Future D1 Dad

i found a guy who makes custom fit ones. perfect for my oldest son's long, skinny arms. can't find sleeves for kids anywhere around here. if anyone wants to know how to contact him, pm me.