Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Local High School Star Stringer Bell's Avatar

Default Re: Kobe Bryant is like the Derek Jeter of the NBA

Quote Originally Posted by IncarceratedBob
    Both are clearly top 10 all time, but Jeter has a case for top 5 where Kobe doesnt
    WTF?

Jeter is nowhere near top 10 all-time.

Kobe ranks a lot higher all-time in his sport than Jeter does in his.

Local High School Star Stringer Bell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cold soul
    That was such a bonehead throw and decision by Favre right there. Favre could of ran for five or so yards or thrown the ball away and given their kicker a chance to win the game. Favre was a gunslinger and lived by the motto live by the sword, die by the sword. Favre also choked against Giants 07/08 playoffs throwing yet another INT to losing the game and his final pass as Green Bay Packer.
    There came a point where in the postseason, you basically just waited for the moment where Favre would throw a costly INT.

3 minute mark: http://youtu.be/KPl0afv2Gk4

http://youtu.be/YbbZ7_dGTTE
    Last edited by Stringer Bell; 10-13-2014 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer Bell
    There came a point where in the postseason, you basically just waited for the moment where Favre would throw a costly INT.
    Yep pretty much. The dude is one of the all-time greats but could of been so munch more ego played a part along with thinking he could make any throw on the field regardless of the defensive coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    He's JUST like Jeter....not as good as people think.

Both of them have inflated reputations because they played on historical franchises who will always spend money and attract other stars. That+every casual fan knows who they are because their teams have some of the largest natural fan bases.

Jeter probably isn't even a top 50 baseball player all time

Imagine if Jeter was drafted by the Brewers and played his entire career there. No one outside of the state would give a shit that he was retiring. They'd mention it once on ESPN and it would be over.

Imagine if Kobe played his entire career for some shit franchise. He'd have great numbers and nothing to show for it.
    Lebron has played for a shit franchise almost his whole career but ESPN is constantly on his junk.

Quote Originally Posted by clipps
    Lebron has played for a shit franchise almost his whole career but ESPN is constantly on his junk.
    Because he's actually been the best player in the league like when ARod was on the Rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by christian1923
    name 50 better please.

The guy has 3500 hits, 1900 runs, 250 homers, 400 steals. Multiple gold gloves at one of the most important positions, and hit for 320 in the World Series.
    I'm just going off the top of my head, and not giving any pitchers

Willie Mays (THE GOAT)
    Hank Aaron
    Barry Bonds
    Ken Griffy Jr.
    A Rod
    Babe Ruth
    Ted Williams (GOAT hitter)
    Albert Pujols
    Ty Cobb
    Cal Ripken
    Tony Gwynn
    Miguel Cabrera
    Pete Rose
    Joe DiMaggio
    Chipper Jones
    Lou Gehrig
    Wade Boggs

^Took me 1 minute to give you 17 guys Jeter has no argument over, not including pitchers, off the top of my head.

Jeter has longevity, and he played for the yankees. He never was the best player in the league. I don't think he was ever even the best SS in the league. He wasn't even better than Nomar in their primes.

here's some more names Jeter can't touch (after another minute of thinking):

Roberto Clemente
    Jimmie Foxx
    Mickey Mantle
    George Brett
    Jackie Robinson
    Ichiro Suzuki
    Eddie Murray
    Last edited by ralph_i_el; 10-13-2014 at 09:33 PM.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by russwest0
    A true LEGEND piling on rings while playing for a historic franchise. With so many legendary moments as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kobe's last game of his career ends with him hitting a game winner. It's just who he is.
    a horrible defender who peaked 14 years ago and kept his position even though better players were available?

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    At least Jeter came through on his clutch reputation
    Do you ever go outside Jameer??

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe
    Besides Shaq, which big-time FAs did the Lakers sign to help Kobe? We got Odom in the Shaq trade, rest of the players around Kobe were either draft picks or just bad players... our biggest FA signing was a past-prime Ron Artest, who we only got because Ariza left us for more money, and Artest didn't come because we were willing to pay him tons, he just developed a good relationship with Kobe. Gasol was acquired in a trade, Bynum was a draft pick...

None of the teams Kobe won his rings on had as many good players as the 90s Bulls or Lebron's Heat... Kobe had one other star teammate in Shaq/Pau and rest were average. Yeah, in 2004, we got Payton & Malone, but neither played well on that team and Payton couldn't grasp the system + Malone got injured, they were garbage in the Playoffs and well past their primes...

The 08 Lakers squad Kobe took to the Finals had 0 all-stars on it. Pau didn't make the cut (he wasn't as good in Memphis that year) and Bynum had a season-ending injury in January, Ariza didn't get any minutes that year, yet Kobe led that team to the best record in the West and got them in the NBA Finals and if it weren't for a collective chokejob, the series would have gone to 7 games against arguably the best defensive team of that decade.

Lebron has 2 all-stars and a bunch of great role players, elite shooters and he wins 2 rings and is already in talks of being the GOAT, but Kobe gets one all-star big man and some shooters (that were garbage on other teams or had yet to prove themselves) and all of a sudden Kobe benefits from playing in the big market, because everyone LOVES to play in LA? FOH. Kobe had about as much help as Duncan did for most of his career, and Duncan has been playing with 2 HOFers and a GOAT-tier coach his ENTIRE career and now has Kawhi + a bunch of elite role players to carry him to more Playoff success, yet he moves up on the all-time list while barely putting up all-star numbers? If Kobe averaged 15 points for the Playoffs and had someone else win the FMVP over him, you people would not count that ring at all and he'd probably move down on your lists... the double standards on this forum are terrible.
    I swear you Kobe trolls come up with some of the dumbest, most agenda-driven arguments in basketball.

"2 HoFers" is so misleading. Peak Manu + peak Parker (their peaks were nearly 8 years apart, so it didn't even happen) aren't better than peak Shaq alone. Yet with your silly little argument Duncan's had twice as much help?

Having a top 5 all time player in his prime is worth all the role players TD got to play with. Those 8 years with Shaq alone almost means Kobe had more help. But Kobe also had great role players, andthe actual GOAT coach (you know, the one who has more than twice as many rings as Pop in only a few more years), not to mention Pau Gasol who, at his peak, was better than any version of Parker or Robinson Duncan got to play with (05 Manu > 10 Gasol though).

Duncan won his first 4 rings without another All-NBAer (broadly nobody who was considered a top 15 player, but due to positions it's more like top 10). Meanwhile Kobe never won a ring without one, and for 60% of them he was playing with the best fcking player in the league. The help argument ends right there, because superstars mean 1000 times more than role players (kinda in the name, no?)

Steals equate to good defense and one day ending up in the Hall of Fame means you're still good (Chicago Parish > current Marc Gasol?). What a simpleton.

Kobe fans always say stupid shit like "Parker and Ginobili cancel out Shaq" or "Wade and Bosh > Shaq" You know you had a stacked team when you need to find TWO players to match Shaq... Looks like Individually no one even came close to playing with as dominant of a force as Kobe did.

Then comparing 2 Individuals vs 1 Individual to evaluate Help is incredibly flawed.

National High School Star funnystuff's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UUeqvquXZI

This shit to this day is just
    As a Minnesota fan, this crushed me. So did the too many men on the field call shorty before that. Seemed like the NFL really wanted to give Katrina victims something to be honest.

5-time NBA All-Star

I think Jeter gets his accolades because he kept a great look on the sport and is a public relations dream when the sport lost most of its ground. He isn't a top GOAT player - he's most like Dirk to me. Super clutch and among the best in the post season but otherwise not on the level of the other greats. On one hand it could be considered disrespectful to Kobe, but it also can be considered disrespectful to Jeter as well. Kobe was never the face of the sport, or looked to, to be the model of how to handle the press and be the man of the sport or city.

Kobe was much, much better at his respective sport. I don't even like baseball, but I know that Jeter isn't close to being a top 10 baseball player of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    I think Jeter gets his accolades because he kept a great look on the sport and is a public relations dream when the sport lost most of its ground. He isn't a top GOAT player - he's most like Dirk to me. Super clutch and among the best in the post season but otherwise not on the level of the other greats. On one hand it could be considered disrespectful to Kobe, but it also can be considered disrespectful to Jeter as well. Kobe was never the face of the sport, or looked to, to be the model of how to handle the press and be the man of the sport or city.
    Anddd Pointguard even here had to bring in his anti-Dirk agenda

"Not on the level of other greats"

hes better than bran thats for sure