Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default How can Team USA recover from this?

Paul George was suppose to be our athletic, long, defensive guard, who could also shoot the 3, and stop a hot player on the other side. So now, who in the national pool can replace what he brings?

Very good NBA starter

Default Re: How can Team USA recover from this?

Maybe Kawhi decides to come back

Maybe it pulls them all together, making their bond stronger.

If Im the stars of this league (Durant/Harden/Rose/Lillard/Cousins) I quit right now.

No point in risking it now.

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    If Im the stars of this league (Durant/Harden/Rose/Lillard/Cousins) I quit right now.

i'd bet they're seriously considering it. if it were the Olympics, it would be a different story, but a lot of these guys are only halfway in on FIBA anyway. derrick rose has gotta be freaking out right now

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K

I really hope that's not what their thinking, but I'm sure this kind of injury could plant a seed of doubt in everything they are doing.

Things like, " is this all worth it?", and "WTF am I doing here?".

I hope not, or this could be the end of US superiority in international basketball.

It's a freak injury, but you can't live for your life on the court in fear. That's how bad injuries happen anyway, when you're overly cautious. If this injury keeps them out of the tournament, they have to realize it could happen in practice, or whenever.

Quote Originally Posted by kurt_rambis
    i'd bet they're seriously considering it. if it were the Olympics, it would be a different story, but a lot of these guys are only halfway in on FIBA anyway. derrick rose has gotta be freaking out right now
    Do they even get paid for this?

I love this country for all Im worth and put in work overseas, but if I am one of the big names, no way do I risk an injury for this. Not even for the Olympics.

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Millsap

The thing is...most of these guys just finished a long season, including the playoffs. And now they are going thru this grind, and then the NBA exhibition season is right around the corner. They could essentially be playing two straight non-stop seasons.

If I am an NBA owner, this is the final straw. I need to protect my investment, and sorry, they won't be playing in these events any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    The thing is...most of these guys just finished a long season, including the playoffs. And now they are going thru this grind, and then the NBA exhibition season is right around the corner. They could essentially be playing two straight non-stop seasons.

If I am an NBA owner, this is the final straw. I need to protect my investment, and sorry, they won't be playing in these events any longer.
    It will be interesting to see league wide reactions from front offices in the next few days. It could go in two ways.

One reaction would be unity and patriotism. A sense of mission, and a general consensus to move forward and sacrifice for the country.

The other reaction is everyone starts counting the cost to each team in the NBA, and the NBA as a whole. Maybe Marc Cuban's ideas start to get stronger about the NBA organizing these events, and the NBA only. No more FIBA play for NBA players. A possible sea change?

Spain is washed up. A USA team with just Durant and role players could take out the championship

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFreeman
    Millsap
    Can Milsap defend guards?

Dunking on everybody in the park MavsPoke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    It's a freak injury, but you can't live for your life on the court in fear.
    Yup. Glad these guys are so much tougher mentally than 99% of the dorks posting crap on forums.

Team USA will deal with this injury and move on and be OK.

Paul George will do the same. He got his extension and with a lot of support he will recover. It's just gonna take time.

It really sucks for the Pacer fans. If I were one I would be sick right now thinking of the season they could have had.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kurt_rambis
    Same shit happens with the NHL. Guy's get hurt in international competition, everybody freaks, things go back to normal. I'm sure if every owner, GM had it there way they'd hold out there guys. Players are always going to want to rep there country. Guy's like LeBron can skip FIBA, he's an Olympic lock.

Lots of these dudes need to play FIBA and get to know the program to help there chances at making the gold team. Great tournaments go along way. Not to mention the extra development, playing with other great players etc.