Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: If Duncan gets that 5th ring....

Quote Originally Posted by Magic 32
    and he should have won the 1980 FMVP.
    That's how I think a lot of people feel, although I guess it became a lot more debatable after Magic put up 42-15-7 in game 6 without Kareem to win the series.

But, through the first five games here is what they were averaging...

Kareem: 40.6 MPG, 33.4 PPG, 13.6 RPG, 3.2 APG, 4.6 BPG, 0.6 BPG, 4.2 TOV, 58% TS

Magic: 41.8 MPG, 17.4 PPG, 10.4 RPG, 9.0 APG, 0.2 BPG, 2.6 SPG, 5.0 TOV, 62% TS

Magic had a 14-15-10 triple-double in game 5 but also had 10 turnovers. Kareem had 26 about midway through the 3rd quarter, rolled his ankle and left the game, and came back out and scored 14 more points in the 4th quarter to lead the Lakers to a 5 point win. But Magic going to Philadelphia and doing what he did without Kareem to win the series, on top of the numbers he was already putting up...he certainly had a case for FMVP.

Complete Player

Quote Originally Posted by WeGetRing2012
    Yeah I said I didn't remember what happened.

So Kobe's injury only adds to his legacy this year too.
    Not really since Kobe's team sucked just as much with him. Scraping for an 8th seed in the playoffs is supposed to add to your legacy

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by miles berg
    I think it bumps him to the top of the Duncan/Shaq/Hakeem, #7-#9 trio.

1. Jordan
    2. KAJ
    3. Russell
    4. Wilt
    5. Magic
    6. Bird
    7. Duncan
    8. Shaquille
    9. Hakeem
    10. LeBron
    Hakeem over Kobe?

Keep it tight for me The-Legend-24's Avatar

Yeah I said I didn't remember what happened.

So Kobe's injury only adds to his legacy this year too.
    Nah bro, It's Kobe. Being injured boosts other players legacies except for Kobe's.

National High School Star

I don't really remember the Suns series in 2000 but they lost in the 1st round after winning the championship the year earlier and for has great that he is he has never won back-to-back...
    Which means you don't remember that Duncan never played a second in the 2000 postseason. Not that it matters, since you have a point you're trying to make.

It's odd though, that one would even bring up something in the first place that they don't even remember.

I rep Lakers!

Quote Originally Posted by hitmanyr2k
    Not really since Kobe's team sucked just as much with him. Scraping for an 8th seed in the playoffs is supposed to add to your legacy
    Yeah because Duncan has never been a 7th seed in the playoffs

I rep Lakers!

Quote Originally Posted by The-Legend-24
    Nah bro, It's Kobe. Being injured boosts other players legacies except for Kobe's.

They don't make any sense...

Are we talking about Kobe's injury this year? In what way would this injury and what the Lakers did in the playoffs boost his legacy? It's not the same team coming off a championship, Finals, or even WCF appearance the year before. It was a team that scrapped and clawed and just to get from being out of the playoffs to barely leaping to the 7-seed but finishing with a 45-37 record....with Kobe playing most of the season; hell, they even won the last few games of the year without Kobe just to get up to 7th in the West.

Then they get even more decimated with injuries in the playoffs, and are starting a backcourt of Darius Morris and Andrew Goudelock by the third game against the Spurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic 32
    Hakeem over Kobe?
    What's the funny part of that statement?

Any real NBA fan, not Laker groupie, knows that Hakeem was on another level than Kobe.

Kobe and Duncan are the two greatest players of their era. But I would still give the nod to Kobe because he has rarely not done something worthwhile with a good team. The only time I can really say that the Lakers underperformed was in 2011 when we got swept by Dallas. While Duncan has underperformed with good teams more than once. Last year they should have beaten the inexperienced Thunder after going up 2-0 because their team was good enough to do it. And they lost in the 1st round vs a 8th seed. And I don't really remember the Suns series in 2000 but they lost in the 1st round after winning the championship the year earlier and for has great that he is he has never won back-to-back...
    Duncan did not play in the 2000 playoffs. He was injured.

TD has won 4 rings as the man. Regardless of Parker currently driving the offense, TD is anchoring the defense - playing elite defense on Howard, Zach, marc , pau (maybe a possible Roy , west duo if they get that far) in addition to his points.

Keep it tight for me The-Legend-24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rmt
    Duncan did not play in the 2000 playoffs. He was injured.

TD has won 4 rings as the man. Regardless of Parker currently driving the offense, TD is anchoring the defense - playing elite defense on Howard, Zach, marc , pau (maybe a possible Roy , west duo if they get that far) in addition to his points.
    But he has 3 FMVP's?

National High School Star CJ Mustard's Avatar

But he has 3 FMVP's?
    So you think Tony Parker was the "man" on the 2007 Spurs?

The Magical T-Mac HardwoodLegend's Avatar

I wonder where T-Mac would keep that cheap ass Given Not Earned ring.

I rep Lakers!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Mustard
    So you think Tony Parker was the "man" on the 2007 Spurs?

That's what the FMVP usually means..

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    No disrespect to Cap, but if Duncan has a dominant finish to this run I might give him that edge.
    Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Recency bias and overreaction.

I tend to underrate KAJ to a massive extent at times, so best not to take my comments on him too seriously. I do think a case could be made to legitimately put them in the same approximate class of player though if TD finishes super strong.
    Hmm...I don't have an all-time list, but, though Duncan is my favorite player, I don't know if I could get on board with that. Though I disclose that I'm more cautious about favorite players, because most people tend to overrate their favorite players and stan for them. I'd be open to hearing an argument though.

As I think about it, it wouldn't be biased to say that Duncan is a far better rebounder and defender than Kareem was at this point, was a better teammate, better at fostering an environment conducive to winning, and his career wasn't extended by Magic. Hmmm...I guess I'd have to analyze it, and Duncan's career is still going while Kareem's is in the books, and I dislike comparing players when one's career is a finished product and the other's is still ongoing. Still, as I said, I'll entertain an argument so long as it isn't biased in either direction.