Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Darko Miličić embarrasses himself again

Quote Originally Posted by midatlantic09
    I can't believe this guy was a #2 draft pick. Whichever GM drafted him is a very lousy evaluator of talent. Other than height, the guy had zero basketball skills.

Except he was pretty clear cut as the 2nd pick in the 2003 draft by many GMs. He had every GM drooling over him during pre-draft shootarounds. He was seen as unusually skilled for his size.

Furthermore, Melo didn't make sense because they JUST drafted Tayshaun Prince, who was showing a lot of promise. Bosh didn't have the size of Milicic, and Wade was considered a "risky" pick by the Heat because no one really thought he would go that high.

Shit, why don't we call out Denver for not picking Wade? 3 chips vs 0? Who is the idiot that would think Melo, a former NCAA champion, would be outperformed in the NBA by an undersized shooting guard from Marquette of all schools?

Or maybe call out Toronto? Even his draft mate figured out how much better Wade was than he, so Bosh uprooted and joined Miami.

Good High School Starter AussieG's Avatar

Darko is funny in a retarded way.

And if you are a 7+ foot Serbian player having beers handed to you while standing shirtless on stage, I don't think you can embarrass yourself. He is the life of that party. He probably owns that city.

Haters gonna hate. Darko gonna Darko.

i dare someone tell him not too. dude is a massive human being and

Decent playground baller Wiltside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheMilkyBarKid
    This guy was picked ahead of wade, melo and bosh
    1 > 0

Very good NBA starter

kwame brown is liking this

Larry Brown ****ed this guys future up to me, had he been drafted to a franchise that had a coach, who cared about developing young talent, things probably would have gone a lot differently for him. It's hard enough to adapt to the league as an Euro, but to play under Larry Brown as a rook is a whole 'nother story.

I feel like people are giving Darko too much crap about this...he didn't choose to be a lottery pick, Detroit had a stacked enough roster to win anyways (they won his rookie year) so they didn't really care about the draft enough, and the results back that up..

Had they drafted Wade or Bosh or Melo, chances are they win more than one title and Spurs have 3 instead of 5.

College star

he seems like he having a good time to me, getting paid to make appearances and get drunk and feeding your tats

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe
    Larry Brown ****ed this guys future up to me, had he been drafted to a franchise that had a coach, who cared about developing young talent, things probably would have gone a lot differently for him. It's hard enough to adapt to the league as an Euro, but to play under Larry Brown as a rook is a whole 'nother story.

I feel like people are giving Darko too much crap about this...he didn't choose to be a lottery pick, Detroit had a stacked enough roster to win anyways (they won his rookie year) so they didn't really care about the draft enough, and the results back that up..

Had they drafted Wade or Bosh or Melo, chances are they win more than one title and Spurs have 3 instead of 5.
    I personally feel as though Larry Brown often gets too much of the blame. From a lot of what I've read and seen, Milicic struggled with attitude and maturity problems from the start. If there truly were issues in that regard, I'd commend Brown for not playing someone who had an awful attitude and couldn't play well.

People often suggest Milicic was talented at the start but was beaten down and began playing poorly after not getting any playing time. I believe he was playing poorly against NBA competition from the get-go, and Brown simply responded by basically saying, "Welp, he's awful right now and would not help this championship contender, so why would he be playing?" He saw tons of playing time in the preseason and Milicic displayed the same characteristics at that point that many accused Brown of evoking through years of not playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ_eLleTfLM

I'm also not sure what would have happened if anyone but Milicic was selected at the #2 position. I have huge doubts about an '04 championship. Anthony would have created a situation at small forward (Tayshaun Prince was a playoff hero in 2003 as well). Bosh would not have responded like Rasheed did come playoff time. And rookie Wade would have likely been relegated to bench duty behind Richard Hamilton and Chauncey Billups, still leaving a huge gap in the frontcourt.

Over the long term, creating a championship team is such a delicate balance that I wonder what any three of those guys would have done to the mix. For instance, maybe drafting Anthony (the only other real possibility at the time) means trading Prince which creates a huge defensive gap and ball-sharing problems between Hamilton, Billups and Melo.

I think the Pistons were largely in the right place in the right time for everything to come together as it did. Luck and skill came together. Semi-risky signing of Billups, who blew up, trading a team leader (Stackhouse) for a young unproven in Hamilton, accidentally drafting an awful player that leads to a great mid-season trade (for Rasheed)... a lot of things had to go right just to land one ring. Perhaps any other way could have resulted in zero (like Anthony in Denver).

All that said, yes, I think Milicic does get too much crap in some regards though. You're right, he didn't choose to be the number two pick. He created a lot of his own issues, but it's clearly overkilled.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I personally feel as though Larry Brown often gets too much of the blame. From a lot of what I've read and seen, Milicic struggled with attitude and maturity problems from the start. If there truly were issues in that regard, I'd commend Brown for not playing someone who had an awful attitude and couldn't play well.

People often suggest Milicic was talented at the start but was beaten down and began playing poorly after not getting any playing time. I believe he was playing poorly against NBA competition from the get-go, and Brown simply responded by basically saying, "Welp, he's awful right now and would not help this championship contender, so why would he be playing?" He saw tons of playing time in the preseason and Milicic displayed the same characteristics at that point that many accused Brown of evoking through years of not playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ_eLleTfLM

I'm also not sure what would have happened if anyone but Milicic was selected at the #2 position. I have huge doubts about an '04 championship. Anthony would have created a situation at small forward (Tayshaun Prince was a playoff hero in 2003 as well). Bosh would not have responded like Rasheed did come playoff time. And rookie Wade would have likely been relegated to bench duty behind Richard Hamilton and Chauncey Billups, still leaving a huge gap in the frontcourt.

Over the long term, creating a championship team is such a delicate balance that I wonder what any three of those guys would have done to the mix. For instance, maybe drafting Anthony (the only other real possibility at the time) means trading Prince which creates a huge defensive gap and ball-sharing problems between Hamilton, Billups and Melo.

I think the Pistons were largely in the right place in the right time for everything to come together as it did. Luck and skill came together. Semi-risky signing of Billups, who blew up, trading a team leader (Stackhouse) for a young unproven in Hamilton, accidentally drafting an awful player that leads to a great mid-season trade (for Rasheed)... a lot of things had to go right just to land one ring. Perhaps any other way could have resulted in zero (like Anthony in Denver).

All that said, yes, I think Milicic does get too much crap in some regards though. You're right, he didn't choose to be the number two pick. He created a lot of his own issues, but it's clearly overkilled.
    I don't have anything against Larry Brown personally but I've heard some of his former players say negative things about him, especially Jalen Rose.

I feel like the Detroit management did a poor job scouting and drafting to begin with, Darko didn't really have the talent to live up to being a top 5 pick in that draft, he certainly could have had a better career than he did on a rebuilding franchise, where there would have been less pressure for him to perform right at the start and he would have gotten more minutes to play through his mistakes and what not.

I do understand the reasoning behind not drafting Wade or Melo or Bosh, because you had a young Tayshaun Prince, prime Sheed and a Rip Hamilton on the roster, and all of them played really well and were key in that 04 championship run, Rip even got better the following year. I'm not even sure who I'd draft in their position, even if I knew how good those players would become. Maybe David West or Chris Bosh, just to develop them off the bench for a couple years and ultimately put em in the starting role in place of Sheed in 07. Wade would obviously be the best player available, but I feel like he wouldn't make them better the first few years, maybe keep him in a Manu role until he's clearly a lot better than Rip?
    Last edited by ImKobe; 04-27-2015 at 02:09 PM.

Banned

After watching the video a few observations:

Second hand smoke has had, probably in large doses

Who are the 2 men tattoed to this body?

The gathering and festivities seems like a pretty common thing in Serbia (need a serb to confirm)

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by ZMonkey11

Except he was pretty clear cut as the 2nd pick in the 2003 draft by many GMs. He had every GM drooling over him during pre-draft shootarounds. He was seen as unusually skilled for his size.
    Unusually skilled in what exactly? All he's ever had is height and the ability to run the floor pretty well for someone 7'0. Aside from those two things, the guy had no other skills. Not sure why he was taken over Carmelo or Bosh.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by midatlantic09
    Unusually skilled in what exactly? All he's ever had is height and the ability to run the floor pretty well for someone 7'0. Aside from those two things, the guy had no other skills. Not sure why he was taken over Carmelo or Bosh.
    I'm not sure if you watched basketball back then or not but in Europe and individual workouts he had NBA 3pt range, could handle well for a guy his size, run the floor and block shots. Read this article.

http://pistonpowered.com/2010/09/13/...dable-blunder/

http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/d03/story?id=1560315

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204

I think Darko came to the L at the wrong time. He was just too young and too inexperience especially in a championship caliber team. There's just too little room for errors and mistakes that Darko needed to learn and grow. Pistons should have kept him in Europe and marinated him until he's mentally ready. I reckon Mehmet Okur contributed with that team but he was much older.

Wow, the video title was literal when it read "drinks with his tattoos."