Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

Default Re: 2013-14 NBA Player Rankings

Everyone ranking Curry over Kyrie because of one good playoff series.

Quote Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
    Steph Curry had a monster season last year, levels better then Kyrie.

Quote Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
    Regular season stats per 36:

Kyrie: 23.3 points / 6.2 assists / 1.6 steals on 45/39/85.5 shooting on 18.8 FGA.

Curry: 21.6 points / 6.5 assists / 1.5 steals on 45/45/90 shooting on 16.8 FGA.

More efficient and a little more assists. And he played more games.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno
    Regular season stats per 36:

Kyrie: 23.3 points / 6.2 assists / 1.6 steals on 45/39/85.5 shooting on 18.8 FGA.

Curry: 21.6 points / 6.5 assists / 1.5 steals on 45/45/90 shooting on 16.8 FGA.

More efficient and a little more assists. And he played more games.
    Guys tend to make a jump in their third years in the league. Also, Kyrie was only 20 years old for most of last season, while Curry was 24-25. Maybe people are thinking he'll continue to improve?

It took Curry four years in the league to average 20+ points and 6 assists per game and he entered the NBA older than Kyrie. Irving just averaged 23/6 as a 20-year-old sophomore. I don't think it's crazy to conclude he may be better than Curry this year.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 09-27-2013 at 12:04 AM.

Point Guards:
    1] Chris Paul - Hands down, Emmanuel runs the position.
    2] Derrick Rose - Real iffy, but I think Rose comes back solid.
    3] Russell Westbrook - Difficult to place him due to injury, but think he is still #3.
    4] Stephen Curry - Continuing the run of non-traditional points.
    5] John Wall - I think his impact for the Bullets will propel him here.

Shooting Guards:
    1] Wade - Only due to lack of competition.
    2] James Harden - Comes back strong.
    3] Eric Gordon Jr. - Finally the Pelicans aren't tanking, and he'll show his skittles.
    4] Kobe Bryant - Coming back from injury, on a shitty team. May put up stats, but his defense will be abysmal and the difference in the win column won't be beneficiary.
    5] Klay Thompson - Big steps for Mr. Klay.

Small Forwards:
    1] LeBron - Is this fine?
    2] Durant - ^^?
    3] Carmelo - ^^?
    4] George - ^^?
    5] Iguodala ^^?

Power Forwards:
    1] Blake Griffin - Expect Doc to make sure he takes another leap.
    2] Dirk Nowitzki - His impact will be vital.
    3] LaMarcus Aldridge - Will run the Blaze.
    4] Kevin Love - Will he finally put up non-empty stats?
    5] Larry Sanders - Defensive Gawd.

Centers:
    1] Dwight - Default.
    2] Bogut - Default.
    3] Hibbert - Why not.
    4] Duncan - Impact.m
    5] Bynu

Championship or bust Cali Syndicate's Avatar

Pg
    Rose. Because when healthy, he's the best in the league. Can score like Westbrook but has better point guard know how and is clutch. And he'll be healthy this season, and with a Better skill set. He'll need to find the flow of the game first though. Cp3 is the next choice. Westbrook. Possibly Parker. Hopefully curry

Sg
    For this, I'm using George as a sg. He plays like an sg. Why not. Plus with this season, he possibly will if granger starts. George. IMO he has the best potential and overall prowess on both sides of the ball. Kobe is coming off a huge injury. Wade is right there but he's old and body seems to breaking down. Losing weight may have been the answer though. Harden has many holes in his game. Offensively, I'd say harden is better but only slightly. But playoffs showed, he's easier to contain. Generally speaking. And George showed us glimpse of being a go to guy. Very controlled player might I add. And he tries to emulate Kobe's work ethic which is not an easy task but says he's willing to work hard. I say he makes a significant jump into the next tier.

Sf
    Lebron
    Durant
    Melo
    Obvious

Pf
    Tricky. But I'm going to say lee. I know for some of you that sounds crazy, but I know I'm not the only one who thought lee played as one of the best pfs last season, if not the best. I can't be.

Kevin love might have a nice statistical season but nah. I still doubt Blake.

Maybe dirk or Aldridge. Dirk is unpredictable at this stage. I think lee is better thn Aldridge though. Almost hands down. Aldridge possibly has a better post game though.

C

Dwight is the most convenient choice but Duncan is revamped and playing legend staus. Was a long season but Duncan is lean. I think he's ready to go. Probably has a vendetta to make up for that missed bunny too. Noah's the best utility the league has to offer. Like a varejao but slightly better. Pure hustle and heart type guy.

Duncan,Dwight, Marc are my guesses. In that order too.

BEST NBA POINT GUARDS
    1) Chris Paul
    2) Russell Westbrook
    3) Derrick Rose *Depending if he comes back as expected
    4) Deron Williams
    5) Kyrie Irving

BEST NBA SHOOTING GUARDS
    1) Dwayne Wade
    2) James Harden
    3) Joe Johnson
    4) Kobe Bryant *Won't play for 1/3rd or more of the season.
    5) Eric Gordon *If Healthy

BEST NBA SMALL FORWARDS
    1) LeBron James
    2) Kevin Durant
    3) Carmelo Anthony
    4) Andre Iggy
    5) Paul George

BEST NBA POWER FORWARDS
    1) Blake Griffin
    2) LaMarcus Aldridge
    3) Dirk Nowitzki
    4) Chris Bosh
    5) Kevin Love

BEST NBA CENTERS
    1) Dwight Howard *If healthy
    2) Marc Gasol
    3) Tim Duncan
    4) Roy Hibbert
    5) Tyson Chandler

Championship or bust Cali Syndicate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Guys tend to make a jump in their third years in the league. Also, Kyrie was only 20 years old for most of last season, while Curry was 24-25. Maybe people are thinking he'll continue to improve?

It took Curry four years in the league to average 20+ points and 6 assists per game and he entered the NBA older than Kyrie. Irving just averaged 23/6 as a 20-year-old sophomore. I don't think it's crazy to conclude he may be better than Curry this year.
    Curry could have averaged those number his sophomore season. But you know, he shared a backcourt with Ellis. Ellis is like Westbrook, except he like to shoot more. Imagine that had Irving was sharing that ball. Only reason why it even worked so well was currys ability to play off the ball. Monta is kinda a ball hog.

Curry is older but nba speaking, two season in, curry was I'd say almost as good in his second season as Irving was. Probably would have been if not for all those sprains you can't even count on one hand. Curry was a beast his rookie seasons too. No one remover cause no one cared for the warriors. Unfortunately reek had possibly his best season of his career and won Roy.

Curry hasn't gotten that much better since then. He just has a bigger role and has been able to stay healthy. They're stride for stride IMO. Can Kyrie really even get that much better?

Also Irving played a traditional pg role. Facilitator, playmaker....warriors on the other hand mainly played out of the post. Most curry a asisists probably came off pick and pops. But curry has excellent vision and passing skills. They're just not utilized as much because warriors have so many weapons for other opportunities. So 6 assists were more a dime a dozen compared to currys chances.
    Last edited by Cali Syndicate; 09-27-2013 at 04:48 AM.

Very good NBA starter wally_world's Avatar

Factors I've considered when ranking these players:
    Talent, team success, impact on team/teammates, stats, injuries

Point Guard
    1 - Chris Paul
    2 - Russell Westbrook
    3 - Stephen Curry
    4 - Tony Parker
    5 - Kyrie Irving

As a OKC fan it was hard for me not to put Westbrook on top. I think his numbers and talent puts him as a #1, but some still don't see him as a true PG. I'm giving CP3 the notch because of Westbrook's injury, and also because he's more crucial to the Clipper's success (I think they'll have a terrific regular season). I'll give DRose another year before putting him in the top 5, I think he will have to slowly mesh back into the Bull's system.

Shooting Guard
    1 - Kobe Bryant
    2 - James Harden
    3 - Dwyane Wade
    4 - Joe Johnson
    5 - JR Smith

This is toughest position to rank for me. The top 3 is interchangeable, but I think Harden still has ways to go defensively, and consistently before he beats out Kobe (or Kobe drops out) as the #1 SG. I think if Wade was put in either Kobe's or Harden's position, he can be argued as #1, but he's clearly a 2nd option on the fall behind LeBron so I have him at #3. The #5 spot was between JR, Monta, Klay, maybe EG. EG has a BIG question mark. Klay is too one-dimensional for me to put him in the top 5. Monta has alot to prove after last season. So I took JR.

Small Forward
    1 - LeBron James
    2 - Kevin Durant
    3 - Paul George
    4 - Carmelo Anthony
    5 - Josh Smith

Nothing to say about LeBron/KD. I took PG over Melo for defence and team success. I think last season I would still have Melo at #3, but I trust that PG has gotten better over the summer, and will be even more hungry coming off that ECF loss. Josh Smith takes my #5 spot because he'll likely be starting at SF this season, and I trust him to have a big impact on Detroit's playoff appearance.

Power Forward
    1 - Pau Gasol (YES)
    2 - Kevin Love
    3 - Zach Randolph
    4 - Dirk Nowitzki
    5 - LaMarcus Aldridge

YES PAU GASOL. He's my pick for comeback player of the year. I think he will do well without the pressure of delegating to Dwight (and having to space the floor as a stretch 4). With Kobe out for the start of the season, I look for Nash/Pau to keep the Lakers afloat. I think they will surprise us and remain in the playoff race. Love will have absolutely crazy numbers as usual, but it won't translate to wins (they'll improve, just not by alot). ZBo will return close to his 11-12 form, but with Marc's improvement he'll likely be overshadowed a little. Dirk will have a solid season, but I see the Mavs limiting his minutes while delegating more to Monta, so statistically he won't put up great numbers. The #5 spot is not a knock on LMA, I think he will continue to improve, but I just don't see the Blazers being competitive yet. And yes, I do not think Blake is a top 5 PF.

Center
    1 - Marc Gasol
    2 - Dwight Howard
    3 - Joakim Noah
    4 - Tim Duncan
    5 - Demarcus Cousins

I think Marc will have a breakout season, with the Griz needing him to step up more than ever. Dwight will probably still be the most talented center in the L, but I think he will take sometime to adapt to Houston's system, and with Harden running the show, his numbers won't be too overwhelming like in his Magic days. I took Noah over Duncan because I think the Spurs will rely less on Timmy in the regular season. Noah is the most important player for the Bulls I feel. DMC gets my pick at #5, I trust him to become more consistent and to lead the Kings to a better season. Left Hibbert out because I feel he only steps up during the playoffs (doesn't look to dominate during the regular season).

All those people who don't have Tony in their top 5

Both curry and irving will need a player who is better than them or a really great team around them to win and in my opinion a pg like curry is better to play with than irving.
    Anyone who shoots 45% from 3 and in great volume too is a bigger asset than irving and it is not like he is bad at driving to the basket or a bad passer.
    also, this ranking is who is better right now and not about who is going to be better in future and it is clear to anyone who understands basketball that curry is clearly a better player.

Yeah, but basing off their most recent seasons I'd give Curry the nod. He managed to play 78/82 games with 37 minutes per game. That's a huge step for him. But yeah, Kyrie definitely has a lot of room to grow still.

POINT GUARDS
    1. Chris Paul
    2. Stephen Curry
    3. Russell Westbrook
    4. Kyrie Irving
    5. Derrick Rose

SHOOTING GUARDS
    1. Dwyane Wade
    2. Kobe Bryant
    3. James Harden
    4. Joe Johnson
    5. Monta Ellis

SMALL FORWARDS
    1. LeBron James
    2. Kevin Durant
    3. Carmelo Anthony
    4. Paul Pierce
    5. Andre Iguodala

POWER FORWARDS
    1. Kevin Love
    2. LaMarcus Aldridge
    3. Blake Griffin
    4. Zach Randolph
    5. Dirk Nowitzki

CENTERS
    1. Dwight Howard
    2. Joakim Noah
    3. Marc Gasol
    4. DeMarcus Cousins
    5. Roy Hibbert

Serious playground baller

Really sorry, posted a reply in a different sticky, but no the mods/admins aren't getting to it...

Can you please activate my account!? I had this over two years, and I still can't make a thread!!

No idea where to do it, I looked everywhere..

#Dre Day in Sac Town andremiller07's Avatar

I don't see how Tyson Chandler is a top 5 center or how you could put him in there, he has no offensive game or playmaking and his defense is good but not enough to make him a top 5 C. Sanders, Pekovic, Monroe, Cousins, Bogut are all better than Chandler and they would all be battling for a #4th/#5th spot, there is probably others as well I just cbf thinking about it right now.
    Last edited by andremiller07; 09-28-2013 at 05:15 AM.