Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Default Re: Where Does Dirk Rank Among All Time PFs?

The one thing that Dirk has that makes up for other things is the fact that he's a true alpha dog scorer. And the manner he does it in is revolutionary. Many compare Dirk to McAdoo in terms of scoring skillset. But Dirk is doing it at 7'0 and with even more range than Mac showed. So he may not be the rebounder or defender that most of the great PF's are. But he's arguably the most dangerous scorer and a matchup nightmare.

Don't forget that Dirk played a lot of SF early in his career. That goes to show how talented and special Dirk is. U can say the same for many of the great SF's like Nique, Melo, Durant, English, King, Dantley, Aguirre etc. Their scoring prowess makes for not being great all around players. And by the way just because u aren't a great all around player doesn't mean u are a bad all around player. I always considered Dirk a very good rebounder. Getting great passing from a PF position is a bonus and not a premium. The same goes for damn near every other position except PG. These things need to be considered when judging ones greatness or effectiveness.

I usually hit open layups MavAlbert's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Oh I know. Something about KG picking up Dirk 94 feet...LOL

But somehow Dirk just isn't in his league. Even though an out of prime Dirk DESTROYED an in prime KG in a playoff series. Sadly that is the kind of logic used here night in night out.

fixed

Not airballing my layups anymore winnnaz's Avatar

no....just no....

Not airballing my layups anymore

besides stats, dirk is a loyal player. his will to win gams and playing for his national team shows me that he is a guy u can rely on.

in todays league its difficult to build a team around one guy. and if u watch dallas and dirk together, u have to admit that its a perfect "relationship" over more than 10 years.

And This makes me believe that only a few players could ve done such a trip with the dallas mavericks.
    they had good seasons but also loosing in the first PO round was a shock. loosing teammates and friends over and over again...make his new teams work every single season.
    if u think about it...(i guess) a lot of todays stars - superstars would ve left this team, just because of those things.

on the other hand dallas gave dirk a big opportunity to develop his game. maybe no other team would ve given him a chance to play a second season;)

dallas became a winning organisation. heading to the finals twice in a decade with lakers and spurs dominating the west.
    thats what people forget about dirk and maybe underrate him. its not everything about stats, playing all year long for his mavs and then for his national team...tough time i guess.
    EDIT: so what did we learn? character is also a factor for a team, im sure his teammates love him because hes not a fukin arrogant ****.
    Last edited by Unstop; 02-24-2012 at 07:55 AM.

Listen smelly people, it's inexcusable to suggest Dirkules should be ahead of Charles, Karl, or KG. And it's inexcusable to suggest he's any lower than 5. So, that means, he's definitively #5. The top 5 is pretty set, and honestly I have no problem with anyone ranking 1-4 however they want.

Elvin Hayes needs to be mentioned. He was not a stat padder, but he was a black hole. However, he was also a beast. I think McHale is probably higher, and I prefer him, so I pick him. Obviously, Bob Petit. Chris Webber needs his shout, as he still had 5years of prime and a few others seasons where he was robbed of being an All-Star, not to mention should have been an All-Pro.

Somehow, just now remembered the thread title, not to mention who posted it. I ended up posting a list of the best PF's. My apologies for being involved in this tho.
    Last edited by Whoah10115; 02-24-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by Round Mound
    1-Duncan
    2-Barkley
    3-Malone
    4-Pettit
    5-Garnett
    6-7 McHale or Dirk
    1. duncan
    2. dirk
    3. garnett
    4. barkley

I've omitted Mchale and Pettit because I have not watched enough of the two of them.

Duncan is without a doubt the best PF ever. I've placed Dirk above KG because any one who strapped the Mavs on their back to beat the champs, outduel the league scoring champ, punk the big three of bosh, wade and lebron along with his bad ass 4 quarter scoring, ice water in his vein freethrow shooting, is going above KG. Because as good as KG is in boarding, blocks, averaging double doubles, he can never be that man who loads the team on his back and take them all the way to the championship.

I love Charles but his accomplishments are even less then KG, stats, lack of defense....and no ring....

Dunking on everybody in the park

Just realised I left out malone....

Because I don't rate Karl.....without stockton, no HOF career...