Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    College superstar

Default The 80's Larry Bird GOAT Conversation

June 4, 1985

[I]Larry Bird, the Boston Celtics

Default Re: The 80's Larry Bird GOAT Conversation

Bird was an underrated athlete 2.

Just watched some old highlights of him and he threw down some mean dunks even a crazy reverse hanging jam.

People think we was this nonathletic slob but that's not true at all.

Bird may be the most skilled player of all-time.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

It didnt even take that long. Most of those are mid to late 80s. Look at this:

Jerry Sloan had him as the GOAT in 1980.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    It didnt even take that long. Most of those are mid to late 80s. Look at this:

Jerry Sloan had him as the GOAT in 1980.
    Did they really have to highlight "greatest"? It wasn't even being used in the right sentence.

That was me. I had lost the article a while back and it took a moment to find it. I had it saved for a thing I was gonna do eventually.

And it was actually 1981 not 1981. but it was still before he had a ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    That was me. I had lost the article a while back and it took a moment to find it. I had it saved for a thing I was gonna do eventually.

And it was actually 1981 not 1981. but it was still before he had a ring.
    Those are odd highlighting choices.

Just key words I needed to find the article. I new the timeframe to use. The words just narrowed it down. google highlighted them.

my favorite player of all time

one thing is for sure tho... dunno about GOAT... but Bird > Magic

i think Bird might have been the most complete/skilled player of all time.... if only his defense was better...
    Last edited by pauk; 12-04-2011 at 02:32 AM.

Local High School Star Bernie Nips's Avatar

People like to forget how good Bird was and how highly rated he was... Anyone who even thinks about dropping him out of top 5 is just using revisionist history. Only one player since Bird deserves to be top 5 and that's Jordan. So when people change it around and drop Bird out for older players.. It makes no sense. At the time he was considered the best. That's all that matters.

He could shoot with the best
    He could score with the best
    He could pass with the best
    He could Rebound with the best
    He could be clutch with the best

There is only one other player in nba history u could say that about... And that is Oscar robertson ... Think about this for a sec

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    my favorite player of all time

one thing is for sure tho... dunno about GOAT... but Bird > Magic

i think Bird might have been the most complete/skilled player of all time.... if only his defense was better...
    He did actually have a 3 all defensive team selections. Also this quote from the OP speaks favorably of his defense.
    [I]
    "The NBA

I think it took Red Auerbach 5 mins before he said this kid is going to be one of the all time greats, the first time he saw Bird play.

There some video where Dr. J. calls him a basketball genius and he was. It was what made him so much fun to watch for me. James Worthy used to talk about how mentally exhausted he got covering Bird. At the height of his game, you could tell that he got bored with how easy it was and needed to come up with challenges. Remember that famous Jordan dunk where he changed it at the last second into a scoop layup (in the finals I believe)? That was the same thing, just seeing if he could do it.

He was not a lockdown one-on-one defensive player, but he always had an impact on D. From 1981-86 he just seemed to be everywhere on the court. Always in the right spot. Always where the ball was going.

At the time, Bird clearly had a case for the GOAT. Fundamentals wise, Bird could be the GOAT. However once MJ came along, you had a guy pound for pound better than even Bird fundamentals wise. Other than deeper consistent range on his shot, what could Bird do better than MJ clearly pound for pound? Passing wise, u can say Larry is better than MJ. But not by much cause MJ was a brilliant passer as well. MJ's midrange game is arguably the greatest of all time. Throw in freakish athletic ability and top 5 ever perimeter defensive skills, MJ in the end is the GOAT. Bird however along with MJ, Magic, and Kobe are the premier perimeter players of all time.

As far as Magic vs. Bird, I've always felt it could go either way. Magic had PG type handles flat out. Which made Magic an even dangerous passer over Bird. Even though Bird had similar type vision. Magic was an excellent rebounder, but Bird played primarily SF and many minutes at PF. So he was closer to the hoop for boards. But I will give Bird the edge in the regard. Scoring wise I will give Bird the edge. Even though Magic could put the foot on the gas and score as good as anybody damn near when needed. Defensive wise, neither was great man to man. But both were very good team defenders.

The thing about Magic is, he stayed healthy longer and improved his scoring prowess as time went on. When he had to bow out early in '91, he was as dangerous as ever, even though he wasn't quite as athletic. He was still a top 2-3 player in the L at 32 years of age. Bird on the other hand got hit hard with injuries around the same time and clearly wasn't the same. MJ though i would take over both clearly. Bird and Magic is always an arguable debate.

Local High School Star

If he were to have had 15-16 back injury free seasons, he'd still be in the conversation as GOAT.