Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Dirk is above KG in the all-time list

this is a fact.

Kevin Garnett....

brb getting bounced out of the 1st round for 7 straight post-season appearances
    brb missing the playoffs for 3 straight seasons during my prime
    brb lack of killer instinct and can't close out games like dirk
    brb being extremely dependent on my teammates to win
    brb couldn't guard Dirk to save my life in the 2002 playoffs
    brb picking on a bunch of 6'0 euros and running away from black guys.

Dirk > KG

Default Re: Dirk is above KG in the all-time list

I understand ignorance is bliss to you, but you should really study this game more, you are in for amazing discoveries!

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by Friday

Kevin Garnett....

brb getting bounced out of the 1st round for 7 straight post-season appearances
    brb missing the playoffs for 3 straight seasons during my prime
    brb lack of killer instinct and can't close out games like dirk
    brb being extremely dependent on my teammates to win
    not to mention--

his team has gone 40-20(67% winning %) without him in the last 4 yrs.
    his team was one game away from making the ECF Finals without him in 09
    his TS% in the post-season is a horrific 51%.
    he was the third best player on his own team for the 08 Finals.
    the celtics have continued to be contenders even with his massive decline

overrated if you ask me. i'll take dirk.

Pretty obvious

Local High School Star Bernie Nips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King24
    not to mention--

his team has gone 40-20(67% winning %) without him in the last 4 yrs.
    his team was one game away from making the ECF Finals without him in 09
    his TS% in the post-season is a horrific 51%.
    he was the third best player on his own team for the 08 Finals.
    the celtics have continued to be contenders even with his massive decline

overrated if you ask me. i'll take dirk.
    The brain's a funny thing. It actually reaches a conclusion and then tries to find evidence to support that conclusion, blinding itself to facts that stand in the way.

That's how you rate how stoopid someone is: how retarded the evidence they find is.

This one is brilliant:

"his team was one game away from making the ECF Finals without him in 09"

However, the year before they won the championship and the year after they made it game 7 of the Finals, leading at 3 quarter time... WITH him. All this proves is how much impact he made when he wasn't there.

This one ain't bad either:

"he was the third best player on his own team for the 08 Finals."

Arguably. Of course, for their playoff run, he was not only the leading rebounder and the defensive anchor and general, he was the leading scorer (above Finals MVP Paul Pierce!)

Even the first one:

"his team has gone 40-20(67% winning %) without him in the last 4 yrs."

Wow, his first season with the team they went 66-16. So you're saying.. they're far worse without him? That's a huge shock!

Before KG on the Celtics, they went:

24-58

First year of KG on the Celtics, they went:

66-16

The biggest turnaround in NBA history.

But hey, keep looking for incorrect facts to support your argument, that's the spirit!

Learning to shoot layups

incorrect facts? everything I said is 100% truth. why u so mad?
    However, the year before they won the championship and the year after they made it game 7 of the Finals, leading at 3 quarter time... WITH him. All this proves is how much impact he made when he wasn't there
    not really. he was a role-player at that point. hell, he wasn't even the best player on his own team. rondo was. the fact is his team was 1 game away from the ECF without his overrated ass, and could have potentially mad the finals very easily.

Arguably.
    not at all. both pierce and allen were easily better.

Wow, his first season with the team they went 66-16. So you're saying.. they're far worse without him? That's a huge shock!
    they went 9-2 without KG with a 9+ point differential in 2008.
    overall they've gone 40-20 without him.

you'd think they'd drop off more with such a "great" player, but nope.
    Before KG on the Celtics, they went:

24-58

First year of KG on the Celtics, they went:

66-16

The biggest turnaround in NBA history
    i like how you fail to acknowledge that that turn-around had far more factors than just kg. pierce getting healthy again? getting freaking ray allen? addition of rondo? thibs? yeah, it was all KG. that's why they went 9-2 without him that year, and have been 40-20 the last 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Friday

brb choking a 2-0 lead in the finals
    brb never playing a lick of defense in my life
    brb forgot to close out the warriors in the first round, MVP
    brb my team put on one of the best 3pt shooting performances of all time this year
    brb tyson chandler saved my life
    Fixed. I don't actually like hating on Dirk at all, but KG is totally on a whole other level.

I gotta say peak value wise I will take KG over Dirk. And on a GOAT list as of now, I will take KG. Dirk is a legend no doubt and redefined the PF spot. KG is a legend and redefined the PF. What's funny is that both looked like they were going to redefine the SF spot cause both early on in their careers played plenty if not mostly SF. I feel they are the main two guys responsible for getting the upcoming 7 footers behind them wanting to be perimeter players or SF's.

Both also have a ring. The year Boston won the ring, KG could have easily been L MVP. Now as a great number one scoring option, I would take Dirk over KG. But KG had enough of a killer instinct and ability to qualify as a Batman as well. But it's the other facets of the game where KG pulls ahead. At one time, KG was the best rebounder and most versatile defender in the NBA at the same time. He was also the best passing big in the L as well along with it., In my opinion KG is the most complete PF of all time. He great to very good in all areas of the game and added freak athletic ability to it. Barkley is right there, I just think the defense it what pulls KG ahead.

But GOAT wise, Dirk still has a shot to pull past KG. KG is little past his prime, while Dirk is still in his. Dirk has been very durable and his game is built to last. KG is still an All Star caliber big man, but I feel these knee injuries in the last couple of years slowed him. Dirk can end up with at least 27,000 points and who knows another ring or two. If Dirk does those things, he might get to number two on a GOAT list possibly.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

I still have KG over Dirk all time the way people rank here. I will probably have Dirk higher when its all said and done, but it depends on what Dirk does over the next 2 or 3 years...

Very close either way. Hilarious listening to people saying "fact" or that one of these guys is definitely better/above the other. Just silly.

I like how people try and make it KG>Dirk and if you say otherwise you're trolling. You can make an argument either way for both of them. That said, I'll take Dirk Nowitzki thank you. 50 wins every year, a regular season and finals MVP and a reliable go-to clutch player. He's also a good defender contrary to conventional wisdom. It also doesn't hurt his case that he's outperformed KG head-to-head during his career.

Good college starter

Dirk is better at clutch but I take KG overall. He can play well at both ends while Dirk is allegic on defense.

Dirk > Garnett.

Garnett is a special player.One of the best all around players. But Dirk is as special as Garnett as well. He is 7 footer with one of the best shooting skill ever.

Garnett does a lot of things better than Dirk..but what dirk does is more special.He has been a great leader,clutch player, better scorer.

What i didn't like about Garnett, he has never been as dominant as his stats shows.Especially on offense.He has been second tier offensive player next to guys like Duncan,Barkley,Malone,Nowitzki.

His defense certainly better than Nowitzki's and many others but not quite as great as hyped.But he was versatile and intense for sure.

Kinda Lebron vs Kobe situation between two.It's ironic he did same with leaving his franchise and joining other stars to get a ring.
    Last edited by rodman91; 10-26-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Decent college freshman

Yeah, KG's kind of an overrated scorer in my opinion. The fact that his highest scoring game in the playoffs is 35 or something like that and he's rarely gotten above 30 underscores my point. Like, is he really that much better at scoring than Chris Bosh? KG had a back-to-the-basket game, but it more or less functioned as a face-up game IMO because he rarely backed his man down and usually just turned around and hit a fade-away in the same place as if he had just faced-up in the first place. He had something of a perimeter game, but that was more of a gimmick IMO than a real effective weapon. He was good for a 7 footer, but it wasn't like he was in the same league as the elite scoring shooting guards and small forwards.

I like KG's game a lot. He's an absolutely excellent team defender, good rebounder for his position, absolute money from midrange, and he's one of the better passing big men of the past decade. Perfect second best player on a contender. I just don't get why people have pretended his whole career that he's also an elite scorer.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by rodman91
    Dirk > Garnett.

Garnett is a special player.One of the best all around players. But Dirk is as special as Garnett as well. He is 7 footer with one of the best shooting skill ever.

Garnett does a lot of things better than Dirk..but what dirk does is more special.He has been a great leader,clutch player, better scorer.

What i didn't like about Garnett, he has never been as dominant as his stats shows.Especially on offense.He has been second tier offensive player next to guys like Duncan,Barkley,Malone,Nowitzki.

His defense arguably better than Nowitzki's and many others but not quite as great as hyped.But he was versatile and intense for sure.

Kinda Lebron vs Kobe situation between two.It's ironic he did same with leaving his franchise and joining other stars to get a ring.
    KG's defense was arguably better?

Here are two issues that I have always had with KG.

1. He is extremely dependent on his teammates and on the scheme
    2. He never elevated his play in the post-season especially compared to Dirk.

Garnett's best post-season wouldn't even be top 3 to Dirk. Dirk's 06, 09, and 11's were better post-season runs than any post-season run KG had.

Garnett is not the type of defensive anchor that a David Robinson, Dwight Howard, Alonzo Mourning, etc. were. Like Dirk, he actually needed some sort of defensive big man behind him. It's not like KG automatically turns poor defensive teams into elite ones like Robinson and Howard were capable of doing. Those T'Wolves team were never great defensively outside of the 03-04 season when KG won the MVP, they were never top 10 in team DRating. He is dependent on his teammates and on his team's schemes for that

Decent college freshman

^^^ totally agree about that. I hate it when the idiots on ESPN talk about KG these days like he's still an incredible defensive force. He's not. What he's really good at is rotating correctly and making smart team defensive plays. That's great, but there are a lot of guys in the league who do that. His post D is pretty good, not elite.