Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 LastLast
    Dunking on everybody in the park

Default Re: If American Football wasn't called "football", would it be more popular...

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    slave breeding was an enormous industry in the US, in fact at one point I believe it was the single biggest money maker in the country...I don't think it was like that for Brazil

However many of the US slaves escaped south to Mexico and South America/Brazil and Jamaica as well as...many of the "black latinos" down there are ancestors of US slaves...many South American MLB players like Sammy Sosa and such have US slave ancestors. I am sure there are plenty of 'black Brazilians" like that as well...I am sure Anderson Silva has slave ancestors
    LOL

Wtf dude do some internet research, Portugal was the biggest slave trader in the world and Brazil was its colony. For christ sake you think all black people in the South America are African American descendants?

This is why most people hate americans, you dont know shit about what you are talking and act as if you know it all because America cant possibly be anything other than the best (in this case worse since we are talking about slavery here).

30% of Brazil's population in the 1800's was made of slaves. That's 1 million slaves in 1800. Do you know what was the american population in 1800? 5 million. So Brazil had as many slaves as 25% of the total american population in 1800.

Yea sure, our "black latinos" are descendants of african americans that came south

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Default Re: If American Football wasn't called "football", would it be more popular...

Quote Originally Posted by B-hoop
    LOL

Wtf dude do some internet research, Portugal was the biggest slave trader in the world and Brazil was its colony. For christ sake you think all black people in the South America are African American descendants?

This is why most people hate americans, you dont know shit about what you are talking and act as if you know it all because America cant possibly be the best (in this case worse since we are talking about slavery here).

30% of Brazil's population in the 1800's was made of slaves. That's 1 million slaves in 1800. Do you know what was the american population in 1800? 5 million. So Brazil had as many slaves as 25% of the total american population in 1800.

Yea sure, our "black latinos" are descendants of african americans that came south
    I said "many escaped to the south..."...not all, read mfer shit

again, I don't think it was as big of an industry as the US...but I am sure many of the best athletes there can be traced to slave breeding if it was that huge

perhaps South American Africans are equal in terms of physical dominance, I do think Jamaicans are...but the Lebrons and Calvin Johnsons of the world have US roots

How the hell can it not be as big of an industry when the country was simply the biggest slave buyer in the world?

When 30% of its total population was made of slaves?

Of course Lebron and Calvin are african american slaves i never said otherwise. You said America had the best athletes because of the african slave trade, i am showing you Brazil had an even bigger slave trade so logically by your own arguments we must be the most athletic country in the world.

The appearance of more athletic players in the US is easily explained by infraestructure and a strong sports culture in schools and colleges. In Brazil our freak athletes are working men and probably uneducated so they never had the chance play a sport professionally. Why do you think that MMA is dominated by Brazil? Its a sport that demands no education to enter it and its cheap to practice. Read about brazilian MMA athletes, all of them have a poor background, and i dont mean american poor where they still have a house, internet, tv, etc. I mean dirt poor where they earn less than a dollar per day.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggins
    no you're not

ranked 19th in the latest fifa rankings
    Yea quote we when you become a five time world champion please

How the hell can it not be as big of an industry when the country was simply the biggest slave buyer in the world?

When 30% of its total population was made of slaves?

Of course Lebron and Calvin are african american slaves i never said otherwise. You said America had the best athletes because of the african slave trade, i am showing you Brazil had an even bigger slave trade so logically by your own arguments we must be the most athletic country in the world.

The appearance of more athletic players in the US is easily explained by infraestructure and a strong sports culture in schools and colleges. In Brazil our freak athletes are working men and probably uneducated so they never had the chance play a sport professionally. Why do you think that MMA is dominated by Brazil? Its a sport that demands no education to enter it and its cheap to practice. Read about brazilian MMA athletes, all of them have a poor background, and i dont mean american poor where they still have a house, internet, tv, etc. I mean dirt poor where they earn less than a dollar per day.
    I am agreeing that South America in general could have equal athletes yes...but I was saying that I didn't think it was as big of an industry in brazil because I don't think it was nearly as big money wise $$$...

I agree 100% that many of the athletes in Brazil and all of South America for that matter probably didn't have opportunities like US players because of money/economic reasons

all in all I pretty much just agree with you...

Again, Brazil was a richer colony than the american colony in the early 1700's when slave trade was the big thing. We got left behind when the US became independent and started industrializing, a thing we couldnt do since Portugal prohibited any industry in Brazil until 1808 when the Portuguese king came to live in Brazil.

So yes, our slave market was bigger $$wise than the US. The US only had slaves in the south, we had slaves all over the country.

Salvador, the city i live in, is 80% black (its the biggest black city outside of Africa) and it has a population of 4 million people.

Again, Brazil was a richer colony than the american colony in the early 1700's when slave trade was the big thing. We got left behind when the US became independent and started industrializing, a thing we couldnt do since Portugal prohibited any industry in Brazil until 1808 when the Portuguese king came to live in Brazil.

So yes, our slave market was bigger $$wise than the US. The US only had slaves in the south, we had slaves all over the country.

Salvador, the city i live in, is 80% black (its the biggest black city outside of Africa) and it has a population of 4 million people.
    Okay, well in terms of physical freak genes perhaps Brazil is number 1, I'm not saying you're wrong.

I am sure that with a great economy and training Brazil could produce some amazing NFL teams/players

Quote Originally Posted by Balla_Status
    Also, Johnny ****ing Football is white and an incredible athlete. A better athlete than RGIII.

and NFL shits on boring ass soccer. just another reason why the USA is the GOAT country I guess

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    It's a bunch of marginal athletes on steroids running into each other in between commercials.
    /credibility

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
    It's easy to explain I think.

Football is, in a basic form, a variation of an already established popular worldwide sport.

Whereas basketball was a novel, truly original sport.
    If you're suggesting that football is a variation of soccer, I'd say that basketball is actually a more similar sport.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    It's just facts and common sense here. Scale matters. If you have a sport that is practiced by 50000 people and compare it to a sport that is practiced by 50 million people, the latter will have superior athletes. No reason to get butt hurt over that.
    What a terrible argument.

Who tend to be better athletes, baseball players or boxers? Table tennis players or swimmers? Badminton players or wrestlers?

GTFO dude.
    Last edited by ace23; 04-20-2013 at 03:10 PM.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

I think the problem and hurdle that many Europeans face is that they view American football through the lens of soccer (for the purposes of this discussion so we can distinguish), rugby and even Aussie football. The truth is, while those sports are all relatively similar in that there is non-stop action and no stops, American football is a completely, totally different game.

Every single person on an American football field is 100-percent specialized to play that exact position. They have probably been playing that very specific position their entire lives and wouldn't even know what to do if they were placed elsewhere. That is part of the brilliance of it, though.

I say this with no malice toward soccer (a game that I do appreciate), but it (soccer) is checkers compared to football's chess. On a chess board, you have certain pieces that can only move certain ways and do certain things.

Coaches have total control of what happens on a football field and, if they have one guy out of place or call a blitz at the wrong time, it can cost them the game.... Just like making one tiny mistake on the chess board can be the end.

I think you have to learn to look at American football with fresh eyes and don't compare to other sports, because it is totally unique. There may be significant time in between plays, but that is only because every play is of so much importance. It is incredibly tactical... Like war without the deaths.

Also, the time between the plays allows players to go 100% on every snap, as opposed to nonstop running, which will obviously wear on you in a different way. You are not going to be able to unleash the kind of incredible hit on someone after running for an hour nonstop the way you can with breaks after each play, nor can you run as fast, be as physical, etc.

Comparing rugby or futbol to American football is like comparing a marathon to a sprint.

That's my take.

______________________ Balla_Status's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KingBeasley08
    I've watched both in college. RGIII was nowhere near as shifty as Johnny Manziel when it came to avoiding sacks.