Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

Default Re: Is Tyson Chandler a bust?

Quote Originally Posted by jalbert009
    ok, lets say he was solid, but his numbers in his first 10 years dont reflect a #2 picks numbers. I am not hating on Chandler but if I asked you 3 years ago if he was a bust you wouldn't hesitate to say yes.
    He is one of the best man to man defenders in the league, and man to man defense doesn't give you statistics, similar to avery bradley, doesn't get many steals because he plays solid defense so you can't see it on a stats sheet, you have to watch the games to see the impact.

This has to be one of the dumbest threads I've read on any website.

OP is a ****ing moron. He's an all star. Are we kidding?

Quote Originally Posted by Graviton
    Not every draft can have Lebron/Wade/Melo, hell most of them nowadays don't have as much talent as they used to.

This whole "bust" shit is getting out of hand, every #1-2 pick that isn't some Top 25 GOAT talent is labeled a bust for some reason.
    qft.

Bust could be someone that didn't pan out due to suckage. I would cosider Olowakandi a bust but it could be argued that he wasn't. It depends on the case, a guy that was chosen as a lottery pick but has average less than 10 minutes on garbage minutes now that is considered a bust. Kwame was severely overrated but he has been a solid role player.

Quote Originally Posted by jalbert009
    ok, lets say he was solid, but his numbers in his first 10 years dont reflect a #2 picks numbers. I am not hating on Chandler but if I asked you 3 years ago if he was a bust you wouldn't hesitate to say yes.
    He was injured most of the time though...

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

He is obviously no Eddy Curry

1x DPOY
    1x All Star
    1x NBA Champ
    1x Gold Medal

Granted he accomplished all that, but I don't really want to give him as much credit as I should.

He won DPOY cause Howard was injured and nobody else on that team was that good defensively.

He is an All-Star because Bynum is injured and the East centers BLOW. Doesn't make him All-Star material.

He's an NBA Champ because Dirk Nowitzki went ape shit and LeBron James chocked.

And he was probably the worst player on that Gold Medal team, once again made the team because of Dwight Howards injury.

College superstar BlackWhiteGreen's Avatar

I don't think it's a ridiculous question at all. Is Emeka Okafor a bust? 12/10 career averages, always played on bad teams. If he "gets it" and becomes the defensive anchor on a contender, does that excuse the 9 years of "meh" he's served up so far?

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWhiteGreen
    I don't think it's a ridiculous question at all. Is Emeka Okafor a bust? 12/10 career averages, always played on bad teams. If he "gets it" and becomes the defensive anchor on a contender, does that excuse the 9 years of "meh" he's served up so far?
    If he wins a Championship, a DPOY, gold medal, etc, then I'd say he lived up to his expectations.

Besides Dwight in the 2004 NBA draft there weren't many noteworthy selections.

Quote Originally Posted by Papaya Petee
    He is an All-Star because Bynum is injured and the East centers BLOW. Doesn't make him All-Star material.
    Not even going to address your other points, because tired of rehashing old arguments. But answer this -- If he only made it because the centers in his conference suck, then why were 5 centers in the Eastern conference selected as all-stars?

He's not a bust. But everyone ripping OP for asking the question is stupid.

Tyson Chandler was an incredibly disappointing player for the first 9 years of his career. He's completely turned his career around in the last 3 years, which is awesome. But he was awful during his year with the Bobcats, and his career could have gone either way, luckily he went to the Mavs and he has turned into an all star. But let's not act like he wasn't a complete disappointment for 9 of his 12 years in his career.

College superstar BlackWhiteGreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by irondarts

Tyson Chandler was an incredibly disappointing player for the first 9 years of his career. He's completely turned his career around in the last 3 years, which is awesome. But he was awful during his year with the Bobcats, and his career could have gone either way, luckily he went to the Mavs and he has turned into an all star. But let's not act like he wasn't a complete disappointment for 9 of his 12 years in his career.
    I think it depends on your opinion of a bust. If a #2 draft pick doesn't last the 7 years with the team who drafted him, I'd say most of the time that's a bust (the exception being when they team has got significantly better by trading him - rather than signing someone to play their position, like Chandler with Ben Wallace).

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by irondarts

Nah, if he went to Detroit in his second year he would have had his accolades much sooner and his leadership qualities in place. Luck is how you look at it. In New Orleans he was first seen as being a key player. He was always known as a top defensive player. He was always a top five defensive center after his 5th year. He was unlucky in that no ream really used him right in pick n roles or knew how he could anchor a defense. Dallas got a championship out of the deal and in no way do they do it without him.

Even in hindsight he would still be a second pick in most cases and probably the first in a lot of cases - that kind of ruins the argument overall. Now if you did it by his first nine years - I would have picked Joe Johnson, Parker and Gasol if I was an offense oriented team. But you can't say TMac was a bust after his ninth year. You talk about the whole package or you don't talk about him. Tyson is the only guy in that draft that could change the whole persona of a team and be any type of anchor.

Championship or bust Cali Syndicate's Avatar

Centers drafted in the top 10 in 2001.

Kwame Brown
    Tyson Chandler
    Eddie Curry
    Desagana Diop

It's safe to say Tyson has had a very nice career so far. Late bloomer, diamond in the rough.

Quote Originally Posted by Papaya Petee
    1x DPOY
    1x All Star
    1x NBA Champ
    1x Gold Medal

Granted he accomplished all that, but I don't really want to give him as much credit as I should.

He won DPOY cause Howard was injured and nobody else on that team was that good defensively.

He's an NBA Champ because Dirk Nowitzki went ape shit and LeBron James chocked.

And he was probably the worst player on that Gold Medal team, once again made the team because of Dwight Howards injury.
    Some of your points are valid. But I think he was what put the Mavericks over the top. They turned into a great defensive team once he got there. Dirk has gone nuts before, but he always fell short. Look at how flat they looked once he left. The Mavericks got swept. Dirk didn't look so good. He was a BIG reason why the Mavericks won it all. Kidd was there earlier but they still lost in the 1st round the year before. Chandler turned them into a LEGIT playoff team.

So NO he is not an NBA Champ because Dirk went ape shit and Lebron choked.
    Dirk is an NBA Champ in large part because Chandler manned the middle.