Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Lad

Default Yanks, why are your women so good and your men so bad at football?

It's weird. It's the same with Japan. Why cant their men produce the same results?

Banned

Default Re: Yanks, why are your women so good and your men so bad at football?

Their women wear the trousers.

NBA lottery pick

Cause our best athletes play baseball, football, and basketball.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by christian1923
    Cus soccer is seen mostly as a sport for Children and Women.
    ^Thems.

If our best athletes cared 1/10th as much about soccer as the rest of the World does, we'd be unstoppable at soccer. Luckily for 'the others', most dudes don't play soccer past the 6th grade so Euro/Latin midgets run the game for now.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    ^Thems.

If our best athletes cared 1/10th as much about soccer as the rest of the World does, we'd be unstoppable at soccer. Luckily for 'the others', most dudes don't play soccer past the 6th grade so Euro/Latin midgets run the game for now.
    Most basketball and football players would be rubbish regardless due to body type

NBA Legend

Doesn't explain why Japanese women are so much better in soccer on a consistent basis than the men.

I have a feeling it has more to do with the opportunity women get in first world countries. Men play sports from a young age in all countries, rich or poor. Women, perhaps not so much.

NBA lottery pick

^Thems.

Basically.

You'll most likely get called a fa99ot by your peers if you play soccer past 12 years old in the a states.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Doesn't explain why Japanese women are so much better in soccer on a consistent basis than the men.

I have a feeling it has more to do with the opportunity women get in first world countries. Men play sports from a young age in all countries, rich or poor. Women, perhaps not so much.
    Is soccer big in Japan?

I think they're a baseball country

^Thems.

This

NBA Legend

^Thems.

This isn't true. If top level football and basketball players had the archetypical body for soccer, then that's what the best soccer players around the world would look like.

Neymar is like 5'8 160 pounds.

The reason US does not compete as well in soccer is largely because young kids, even the ones who play competitive soccer, do not WATCH high level competitive soccer. Therefore the nuance in the game is not engrained in them as young. As a kid you just run around and kick the ball.

If you watched the US in last world cup, it's obvious we do not pass and possess the ball like other teams. That's because you have to really study how that's done at a young age, which kids in all other countries do. They don't study it consciously, but rather unconsciously by going and watching the sport played professionally. In the US, nobody watches soccer, so we our kids are not conditioned for the sport the same way.
    Last edited by Akrazotile; 07-05-2015 at 08:28 PM.

NBA Legend

Is soccer big in Japan?

I think they're a baseball country
    I dont know, but my point is there are probably a lot more soccer leagues for young girls in Japan than in Honduras, simply due to economics. Just like in America.

Boys play soccer early on in every country. The amount of resources put into supporting girls soccer is probably much higher proportionally in developed countries.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Only England are great at both.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile

Neymar is like 5'8 160 pounds.
    A giant amongst his Latin brethren, but average where bald eagles reign.

I could look out my window right now and see 30 dudes that size. Trick is to get them to put down their basketballs and/or blunts and start playing futbol.

NBA Legend

A giant amongst his Latin brethren, but average where bald eagles reign.

I could look out my window right now and see 30 dudes that size. Trick is to get them to put down their basketballs and/or blunts and start playing futbol.

Well our current team isn't exactly lacking in height nor the celebrated fast-twitch muscle fibers.

And I agree that the US of A+ does not lack international soccer success due to inability. If our kids were ingrained in the soccer culture the way they are in other countries, our World Cup record would be as spotless as our World War record.

But our kids do not learn the game the same way they do in Brazil and Germany, because kids do not watch professionals play. I know this first hand, having played high-level club soccer throughout my youth. The nuance of soccer gets culturally ingrained in foreign kids at a really young age. In America, kids just sign up and play with little instruction, and then we start pooling the best athletes from the club level around 11 or 12 and start trying to train them to play together. It's just not the same as kids watching professional soccer from age 5 and playing together during recess and imitating the players they see and all that.

We also have an emphasis in America on individualism over teamwork, which is why even in basketball there are countries that can hang with the US despite severe population/athletic disadvantages. America does not have a team sport mentality. If it did... oh my lawd. There wouldn't even be a point to us competing. Every game in every sport would be over before it started
    Last edited by Akrazotile; 07-05-2015 at 08:52 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by DMV2
    You still talking shit after England choked twice this week?

Also, didnt US men made it further than England last year World Cup?
    USA has done as good as or better than England since 2002 world cup.

USA finished top of the group that they both shared in 2010.

If USA is bad at mens soccer than England must be abysmal.