Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Decent college freshman Ben Simmons 25's Avatar

Default Do you worship money?

I know a couple of people that seemingly worship money. They literally stress every cent that they spend and will try to haggle with people in situations that it's inappropriate to be haggling over and situations where it is not at all normal whatsoever... like arguing over the price of a box of cereal even though they know the price on the shelf... they treat every single monetary transaction as if it's time to barter and we're back in the Roman times in the open market place or some shit... and I'm not talking about lying, generally speaking, I'm talking about arguing and trying to negotiate EVERY SINGLE THING...

I mean, the people I know... they're so cheap that they'd do things such as, in the case of the woman, making sure she forces herself to go on dates when she has absolutely zero percent interest in on just so she can get a free dinner to cover the cost of her dating website's monthly fee... one of the guys arguing about how it's not his fault that the coupon he has is expired just to get an additional person bowling free of charge that he doesn't have to cover... another guy choosing a wedding venue directly off of an interstate location that's loud as **** in the downtown of a busy city just to save a few bucks... to begging for money on their wedding registry and not actually giving anyone a list of gifts to purchase...

I do think it's irresponsible and ridiculous to go the other direction in life... meaning... letting all of your money flow through your fingers... but... I think there's a healthy balance which is that you should be consistently saving money if it's AT ALL possible, which it almost always is... while still enjoying life.

Personally, I can't get behind the idea of saving every cent in every possible scenario to the point where you're missing out on life as a result. Sure, you get to retire more early but it's not like you get to take this shit with you when you die... is it really worth stressing every cent for 35-50 working years just to have a better life on the back end? Yeah, you're old and you've got less worries, but at what cost? What did you give up for those 35-50 years? You led a significantly lesser life across the prime of your life just to save a few bucks for later on that you can't take with you... it just seems stupid. But these people that I know aren't stupid... which is why it's strange...

So what is it about them that causes them to worship money? [COLOR="White"](lol)[/COLOR]

Do you know people like this? Do you personally worship money?

What is your spending/saving philosophy?

Please, do tell...

5-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Do you worship money?

No because a green piece of paper doesn't give you life or causes crops to grow.

Decent college freshman Ben Simmons 25's Avatar

Your name literally has "money" in the title of it. Thank u, next.

I'm personally trying to save until I hit $100k which I'm projected to hit in 6 months. I'm always eating out, going places, treating myself and friends and I'm not penny pinching. When it comes to spoiling myself, eating out, doing shit, I never regret or look at the cost.

I believe once I hit that goal, I'll be much better mentally. I just want this cushion to look at and fall back on. After that it's everything I save after I'll get a nice car, a better apartment, maybe a house.

The problem is, once you have something (I.e. a car) you want a nicer one. You always want something better than what you already have. I'll just be gunning for better paying positions and working on solidifying myself.

NBA rookie of the year AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar

Yes.

Money is freedom. I love freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Simmons 25
    Your name literally has "money" in the title of it. Thank u, next.
    Lmao.

I can't stand money. Any time I get some I get rid of it as fast as I can.

On a serious note, no I do not worship money. I worship my Lord and Savior. Money cannot buy happiness. Many rich people are miserable and can never fill that emptiness dept inside with material things.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket
    I can't stand money. Any time I get some I get rid of it as fast as I can.

On a serious note, no I do not worship money. I worship my Lord and Savior. Money cannot buy happiness. Many rich people are miserable and can never fill that emptiness dept inside with material things.
    Would you be so kind as to point to one Bible verse where Jesus himself (not his Apostles) claims that he is Lord?

And I invite you to consider putting thought into the following ayats.

[QUOTE]

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Have you ever seen that show extreme cheapskates lol? It

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Nah, I worship ethanol.

Money is great but it

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Simmons 25
    I know a couple of people that seemingly worship money. They literally stress every cent that they spend and will try to haggle with people in situations that it's inappropriate to be haggling over and situations where it is not at all normal whatsoever... like arguing over the price of a box of cereal even though they know the price on the shelf... they treat every single monetary transaction as if it's time to barter and we're back in the Roman times in the open market place or some shit... and I'm not talking about lying, generally speaking, I'm talking about arguing and trying to negotiate EVERY SINGLE THING...

I mean, the people I know... they're so cheap that they'd do things such as, in the case of the woman, making sure she forces herself to go on dates when she has absolutely zero percent interest in on just so she can get a free dinner to cover the cost of her dating website's monthly fee... one of the guys arguing about how it's not his fault that the coupon he has is expired just to get an additional person bowling free of charge that he doesn't have to cover... another guy choosing a wedding venue directly off of an interstate location that's loud as **** in the downtown of a busy city just to save a few bucks... to begging for money on their wedding registry and not actually giving anyone a list of gifts to purchase...

I do think it's irresponsible and ridiculous to go the other direction in life... meaning... letting all of your money flow through your fingers... but... I think there's a healthy balance which is that you should be consistently saving money if it's AT ALL possible, which it almost always is... while still enjoying life.

Personally, I can't get behind the idea of saving every cent in every possible scenario to the point where you're missing out on life as a result. Sure, you get to retire more early but it's not like you get to take this shit with you when you die... is it really worth stressing every cent for 35-50 working years just to have a better life on the back end? Yeah, you're old and you've got less worries, but at what cost? What did you give up for those 35-50 years? You led a significantly lesser life across the prime of your life just to save a few bucks for later on that you can't take with you... it just seems stupid. But these people that I know aren't stupid... which is why it's strange...

So what is it about them that causes them to worship money? [COLOR="White"](lol)[/COLOR]

Do you know people like this? Do you personally worship money?

What is your spending/saving philosophy?

Please, do tell...
    Get the hell out of your current social circle and fast. It's sounds toxic. You know American's acting like this? When I go into a store I pay the price. If I don't like the price, I shop around. I don't waste my time bartering like some fvcktard in a 3rd world county pretending that I'm not an American.

There's always some *** stain bragging about how they put 35% in their 401K and maxed out their Roth IRA. Meanwhile they are driving an old POS car when they can afford a much newer one and adding hassle in their life constantly having to fix it. Then there's the ones with 4 cyl cars bragging to each other how much their mpg is and how much they saved that month on gas. I mean years and years of data showing how much they saved so that they can justify owning a slow car instead of something with actual power that can potentially save their life by getting out of a bad situation quickly. They get really pissed when someone who lives in NY for example says "I don't pay anything for gas... I don't need a car to get around." It's pretty funny and sad at the same time.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

some what long , but I will shorten it-

My step father and mother budgeted everything , and when my mum died recently in her budget book she wrote everything down , including spending $1 on a lottery ticket

Now back track to my step father :
    Living in a cabin 20-24' he stressed saving money and became a savvy buyer of
    stocks and bonds. He taught me 2 lessons :
    1) You have to take a chance in life , to make money.
    (out of your comfort zone , makes a conservative gamble)
    2) Money makes money
    (you have to spend money to make money)

I bought a farm by doing a double mortgage back in the Bush adm. when farms out in the Dakota's were being reclaimed by banks (foreclosures)
    I bought the farm for the cost of a used pickup.
    It has now quadrupled in price.
    The double mortgage is long gone , sold that house and live in my retirement home.

I planned for a few years how I was going to pull this all off retiring at 57.
    5 pension checks , and next year S.S. will literally give me more income , than when I worked.
    I plan on spending what I have , cause I plan to live only ONCE.
    What I have left will be donated to charities.
    My point is why should I give money to family members that have never learned how to save for them selves.... I worked hard in my life and I can do what I want with what I have earned.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Yes

Banned

i worship happiness

and money helps attain that more than any other singular entity