Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default Wilt's 12 foot rim dunk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvYgYijGCtY

After watching this do people still think it was some tale tale that Wilt could dunk on the 12 foot hoop ? Wilt was 3 inches taller than this guy and I'm willing to bet he had a significantly higher reach.

Discuss.

7-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Wilt's 12 foot rim dunk

Yes, I still think it's a myth that he did it. Wilt's word is all we have and he's the same guy who claimed to have a 48" vertical and we all know that's BS.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

he traveled

inb4 jlauber and phila.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Yes, I still think it's a myth that he did it. Wilt's word is all we have and he's the same guy who claimed to have a 48" vertical and we all know that's BS.
    So what you're essentially saying is that you think this guy right here...who is 3 inches shorter than Wilt was miles more athletic than Wilt was ?

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by LAClipsFan33
    So what you're essentially saying is that you think this guy right here...who is 3 inches shorter than Wilt was miles more athletic than Wilt was ?
    Yes. Dwight Howard is around that guy's height and has a 39" vertical and a 9'3.5" standing reach and I've never heard of him doing it. Shaq has a 9'5" standing reach and he had a 36" vertical when he was younger and I've never heard of him doing it. Same goes for Garnett and Robinson who are both around 7'-7'1" and were freak athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by HylianNightmare
    he traveled

Yes. Dwight Howard is around that guy's height and has a 39" vertical and a 9'3.5" standing reach and I've never heard of him doing it. Shaq has a 9'5" standing reach and he had a 36" vertical when he was younger and I've never heard of him doing it. Same goes for Garnett and Robinson who are both around 7'-7'1" and were freak athletes.
    You've never heard of them trying it...that doesn't mean they couldn't do it if they would have thought to try it. How many people have even tried this ? The guy on the vid did it WAY too easy and didn't even jump that high.

dunking on a 12 foot rim = a very underutilized skill in NBA games.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by LAClipsFan33
    You've never heard of them trying it...that doesn't mean they couldn't do it if they would have thought to try it. How many people have even tried this ? The guy on the vid did it WAY too easy and didn't even jump that high.
    Didn't Dwight dunk on an 11'6" rim in the dunk contest? If he could do 12' then I'm sure he would and he's the center with the highest vert as far as I know at around 39".

Didn't Dwight dunk on an 11'6" rim in the dunk contest? If he could do 12' then I'm sure he would and he's the center with the highest vert as far as I know at around 39".
    From what I've heard he requested a 12' rim, but they couldn't get one tall enough so he toyed with one that was a little higher than 11 1/2'. Watching the dunk you can see that he can easily dunk on 12 and maybe higher. He just hopped up there. He didn't even labor on his jump.

Dwight dunked on a 12 footer in the Dunk Contest

Prescott Evening Courier - Dec 13, 1955

'If Coach Allen did wish to present a clinching argument in favor of raising the baskets he would only have to look to his freshman squad and put the finger on one Wilton Chamberlain. Wilt the Stilt, as Chamberlain has been called, is a 7-foot-plus growing boy He has no trouble at all "dunking" the ball into the 12-foot baskets and might even come close to doing the same at the 15-foot height. Many coaches call Chamberlain the greatest basketball player in the country - right now and at this stage of his development.'

Wilt could touch the rim on his tippy toes, he would only need like a 30 inch vertical to dunk on a 12 foot rim.

Local High School Star MasterDurant24's Avatar

I thought Dwight dunked on a 12 foot rim at the dunk contest.