Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    I rule the local playground eauclaire447's Avatar

words are just words??? i think not. words are our most powerful tool. they can build someone up or completely break them down. they have started and ended wars. they are the only impression most of the people you will ever come in contact with will ever get of you. granted, our country prides itself on freedoms such as this, but these freedoms werent constituted to allow public displays of hate. shame on everyone around him that didnt force him to stick his foot in his mouth. i dont know about you, but some things people say can be far worse than an action. i hate racist bigots like this that think that their actions are justified because its "just heckling". i think that this should go both ways though. i dont think anyone should get away with calling a white player honky or cracker either. one thing that is clear cut is equality.
    i have alot of african american friends and respect them very much as people, i dont think anyone deserves more respect than another or reparations or any of that stuff.

[quote]Shaq - Slap on the wrist for yao ming comments.

Jay Will- 15k fine, for profanity such as "Are you a f4g?"

[QUOTE=bigkingsfan]Shaq - Slap on the wrist for yao ming comments.

Jay Will- 15k fine, for profanity such as "Are you a f4g?"

The league has sent a message. Players have complained that no fan accountability has been non existent. The fans now see what a racial slur can get you. Think twice before opening thier mouth. Put fears into the jerks and give some players a sense of comfort knowing the league has thier back and not just the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by eauclaire447
    are you talking about jason williams from miami #55???????//
    wow, never knew he said that
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Rasheed1
    I wouldnt have any problem with creating protocol for players who do the same stuff....

But to argue against getting rid of bad fans is just dumb especially because you just bitter over something else that has no bearing on this subject at all.......

Shaq saying something ignorant about yao Ming has no significance to this situation....

you dont neglect this situation because of a different one.... makes no sense at all

If you don't see the similarity you're a monkey.
    Last edited by bigkingsfan; 10-31-2006 at 03:19 PM.

sad that you are trying to downplay the problem...

Im sure you didnt disagree with the fine and suspension Artest and others got for responding to the ass holes up the stands...

If slurs arent a big deal, then why would going into the stands be a big deal?

common sense tells me that there wouldnt be any fear of players going into the stands in the league stepped up and demanded the fans not act like savages when they come to games....

you cant create a bunch of rules for the players and still allow the fans to behave any way they please with no repurcussion...it doesnt work like that..
    I didn't say no recurcussions. Let security do their job. Let them determine when fans are crossing the line and they'll take appropriate actions. It's not players concern what goes on in the stands. You are there to play ball. You have to pretend there is a wall between you and the fans, like they are not there. And if something is out of control, TELL SECURITY.

I think the fines/suspensions players got were appropriate. Can you imagine if Artest ran into the stands and accidentally stomped on a little girl and killed her? Can you imagine the reaction by the league? Lifetime ban and criminal charges....

The fan who threw that cup should have been ejected and charged with a misdemeanor or something. Straight to police. But Artest decided to take law into his hands, and a riot ensued.

So you are comparing words (slurs) with physical violence? Think it thru dude. Huge difference. If you can't distinguish, I feel sorry for you.

Yes, I agree. Fans shouldn't act like savages and stadium security needs to step up and take action. I don't disagree. Just keep any punishment in proportion that's all....Fans are ejected from games all the time for outrageous behavior, a racial slur isn't any different...but a season ban? wow....
    Last edited by bagelred; 10-31-2006 at 03:20 PM.

So you are comparing words (slurs) with physical violence? Think it thru dude. Huge difference. If you can't distinguish, I feel sorry for you.
    Im showing you that one begets the other and if you dont realize it, I feel sorry for you....

Words and actions are different, but Ive seen how cowards act and cowards seem to think (wrongly) that running your mouth in a reckless fashion shouldnt get you punched in your face...

well Im telling you it does.... and the best thing for NBA basketball would be to regulate both the fans and the players...not just the players..

all that crap about "block it out" & "suck it up" that stuff is not gonna get players to stop running in the stands...

you know what will get them to stop?..... when the fans act like human beings and the league gets players to believe they will handle it thoroughly when fans go overboard..

all this talk about how much money Mutombo makes and how professional he should is just garbage....

any man will object to people demeaning his character so personally...it doesnt matter who that person is or how much he gets paid, and his employer should be on the same page with him as far as making his workplace a safe environment to work in...

Im showing you that one begets the other and if you dont realize it, I feel sorry for you....

Words and actions are different, but Ive seen how cowards act and cowards seem to think (wrongly) that running your mouth in a reckless fashion shouldnt get you punched in your face...

well Im telling you it does.... and the best thing for NBA basketball would be to regulate both the fans and the players...not just the players..

all that crap about "block it out" & "suck it up" that stuff is not gonna get players to stop running in the stands...

you know what will get them to stop?..... when the fans act like human beings and the league gets players to believe they will handle it thoroughly when fans go overboard..

all this talk about how much money Mutombo makes and how professional he should is just garbage....

any man will object to people demeaning his character so personally...it doesnt matter who that person is or how much he gets paid, and his employer should be on the same page with him as far as making his workplace a safe environment to work in...
    You are saying words and slurs are justification for violence.

I say words are just words. And players are grown adults and have self control.

I guess we disagree.

I'm not an expert on the subject, but i'm sure Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr. might feel like I do.

i bet MLK would agree with the banning of anyone who acts in such a manner

Quote Originally Posted by eauclaire447
    i bet MLK would agree with the banning of anyone who acts in such a manner
    How is it a guy who says "monkey" is banned, but a guy who gets into a fight in the stands and acts like an out of control drunken ahole gets ejected and probably can go to the game the next day?

Something is strange there....

You are saying words and slurs are justification for violence.
    No Im saying that in reality, one begets the other... not that they should, but that they do... and we live in reality

I say words are just words. And players are grown adults and have self control.

I guess we disagree.
    I understand that, I just dont think it is realistic or fair to the players and other fans who all have to act extremely professional (or just oblivious) while one ass hole gets to act a fool and ruin the experience for alot of people because he is too drunk or just too stupid to act like he has some self respect...its not a fans right to act any way he wants

I'm not an expert on the subject, but i'm sure Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr. might feel like I do.
    Evryone loves dead people who are no longer a threat... When those guys were alive, people werent feeling their "nonviolent" talk...

It just goes to my point about reality versus 'in theory' ..... in theory, I believe what Martin Luther king did......but in reality, I know that in the end he got killed for his words... so for all his courage and great ideas, reality still remained the same... Words from one group provoked violence from the other group..

^thats really a different issue for another time^

but anyway... we just disagree

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    How is it a guy who says "monkey" is banned, but a guy who gets into a fight in the stands and acts like an out of control drunken ahole gets ejected and probably can go to the game the next day?

Something is strange there....
    were artest and jackson allowed in the arena during their suspension?

No Im saying that in reality, one begets the other... not that they should, but that they do... and we live in reality

I understand that, I just dont think it is realistic or fair to the players and other fans who all have to act extremely professional (or just oblivious) while one ass hole gets to act a fool and ruin the experience for alot of people because he is too drunk or just too stupid to act like he has some self respect...its not a fans right to act any way he wants

Evryone loves dead people who are no longer a threat... When those guys were alive, people werent feeling their "nonviolent" talk...

It just goes to my point about reality versus 'in theory' ..... in theory, I believe what Martin Luther king did......but in reality, I know that in the end he got killed for his words... so for all his courage and great ideas, reality still remained the same... Words from one group provoked violence from the other group..

^thats really a different issue for another time^

but anyway... we just disagree
    I'm not saying fans should be allowed to do anything. You keep harping back to that.

I'm saying the players should have nothing to do with it. No talking back. No confrontations. Just tell security if it bothers you.

You always have a choice of what to do. If a player is being bombarded with racial slurs, you know what he can do? Walk off the court into the locker room and refuse to play. How's that for an option? See you have options on how to react. You don't need to resort to violence because of words. You make it seem players are uncontrollable animals and MUST react to certain slurs. I'm saying they are intelligent human beings and can react in a smart way if something goes over the line.

Fans need to have self control because they make up adults and professionals as well. You cant hold players to one standard then fans another. Ever since the BRAWL things have changed. Players have spoke out that the fans get away with a lot and as players they are restricted by any means. They dont think its fair...league has to protect the player just like they do the fan. Players cant go into the stands by any circumstance but the fan can do as they please because they paid for a ticket, they have free speech, they can say "fans always act an ass, so what?" and players are TRAINED (funny) to ignore hecklers no matter what they do or say.

Wait nba players are robots? Not human? Sweet. Let me buy one.

Still waiting why its ok for a fan to shout curse words, racial slurs because words are words but when its done around kids at the game...words become more than just words. Why is that? No one here would allow thier kid to be around an unruly fan even if you are aware how fans can get. Words arent just words then. But when you target the robots on the court then they are. Dont worry the robot is programmed not to be affected. This is apart of being a fan. Look at them spooks run! Run spook run, phucking homos! Look at Rasheed act like a monkey, omg. Classic! And well this is ok. Robot wont run into the stands but the 9yr old kid subjected to the fan? Hey kid words are just words. Close ya ears or laugh it off.

League had to act. It sends a message.

Quote Originally Posted by LakerRaider
    Wow. No disrespect, but I distinctly remember your words during the World Cup Final. When there were rumors that Zinadine Zidane was being called a racial slur by Marco Materazzi, you said that no matter what Marco Materazzi said, Zinadine Zidane should've kept his cool.

You never ever said things you said on your comments.

Now it happens to a basketball player, you suddenly become an ambassador of Peace or something on the whole issue.

I think you even said that if a racial slur was used against you, you wouldn't do anything.

You were playing the whole thing off like it was nothing.

Hypocrisy at its finest.

Again, no disrespect.
    :rollingeyes: