Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default What do you think of Derozen?

He's obviously freakishly athletic and has hops for days, but what do you think of his game and where he'll peak at? To me, based on everything i'm hearing and reading it seems less and less likely each day that we end up with Evans at the 9th pick. Most draft boards have him going anywhere from 5-7. So, i'm thinking that it's possible that Derozen ends up being a Rudy Gay type which would actually be great for us. Is this just wishful thinking?

Draft express has this to say about him:
    [QUOTE]DeRozan proves a very average player across the board. His defensive rebounding totals sit just below the mean as does his assists numbers, PPP working off of cuts (1.22) and as a finisher around the rim in general (1.14). He sits a bit further below the average in a number of other situations including spot up (1.02 vs. 0.93) and transition opportunities (1.19 vs 1.03). Considering that he didn

Decent college freshman Dr.Funk's Avatar

Default Re: What do you think of Derozen?

To me after Harden, DeRozan is the guy we have to hope is there at #9.

Banned

Rudy Gay my ass?

DeRozan immediately will be a cross between Darius Miles & Desmond Mason type of player, great athlete with scoring mainly coming from dunks in the open court, but the potential for him to get better will keep him around in the NBA.

Local High School Star

I would love to get either DeRozan or Evans. Derozan reminds me alot of Desmond Mason but with some tutoring and the right coaching the sky's the limit and he could become a poor mans VC.

Quote Originally Posted by Interminator
    Rudy Gay my ass?

DeRozan immediately will be a cross between Darius Miles & Desmond Mason type of player, great athlete with scoring mainly coming from dunks in the open court, but the potential for him to get better will keep him around in the NBA.
    He's got more ballhandling skills than Miles/Mason could ever dream of having... He's not cut out of that mold at all. And he's got a nice mid range game, although his 3 pt shooting could use a lot of work.

Great college starter craigthomasb's Avatar

Rudy Gay my ass?

my thoughts exactly, rudi gay has that extra edge that de rozan doesnt, hes my favorite in the draft but he wont be as good as gay, but he can still be a 20ppg, slasher SG is this league

Quote Originally Posted by craigthomasb
    my thoughts exactly, rudi gay has that extra edge that de rozan doesnt, hes my favorite in the draft but he wont be as good as gay, but he can still be a 20ppg, slasher SG is this league
    I didn't say "as good as" Rudy Gay, I just said Rudy Gay "type." Meaning that I was saying his game and his athletic ability are somewhat similar, not that i'm saying he's as good as Rudy.

Local High School Star

Im not so sure.

You see bunches of comments on maturity all the time.

He might be the next "air" apparent above the rim but could it be three years before he reaches that?

I have always advocated/predicted trading down for a Terrence Williams that played in a strong D system like Louisville and taking cash back.

Or perhaps trading :

"contract rights" of (Joey, Carlos, AP) and 9 spot or

Mature player (change of pace 1 back up, atheletic 2 - 3 tweener, or even 5 wide body defender) and "15-20" in draft and a bag of balls

Decent playground baller

Like Derozan, but not sure with this Bosh thing overhanging us if we have the patience for another project. If Evans is gone guys like Gerald Henderson,Flynn, Holiday, Jennings could all help right away.
    The more i see of Henderson the more i like his slashing ability and he was the go to man for Duke most of the season. Gets to the line nice also.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
    I didn't say "as good as" Rudy Gay, I just said Rudy Gay "type." Meaning that I was saying his game and his athletic ability are somewhat similar, not that i'm saying he's as good as Rudy.
    But their games are not similar at all, Rudy has range and has always had range while DeRozan does not also Rudy has very good handles for his height, he just doesnt pass it.

DeRozan has no 3 point shooting ability whatsoever, and his mid range shot is shaky at best.

DeRozan struggles with defense, if you watched USC anytime this past season you would notice how much he gambles defensively.

That doesnt take away from the fact his potential to be better in the future with good development espesially with a coach like Alex English is definetly worth a Lottery pick on.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
    He's got more ballhandling skills than Miles/Mason could ever dream of having... He's not cut out of that mold at all. And he's got a nice mid range game, although his 3 pt shooting could use a lot of work.
    @ Miles not having handles.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by antonaki1
    Like Derozan, but not sure with this Bosh thing overhanging us if we have the patience for another project. If Evans is gone guys like Gerald Henderson,Flynn, Holiday, Jennings could all help right away.
    The more i see of Henderson the more i like his slashing ability and he was the go to man for Duke most of the season. Gets to the line nice also.
    If Toronto is looking to bring back Delfino, the gut feeling would be that DeRozan is the pick.

Decent playground baller

If Toronto is looking to bring back Delfino, the gut feeling would be that DeRozan is the pick.
    Well i would love seeing him get the nod. I'm just glad i don't have to make that decision because i don't think i would have the balls to pick him over some of the others. He could be an allstar in time, even "Vince like", but as of right now he is more "Jamario like". It's a gamble for sure, but he definitely would be exciting to watch.

But their games are not similar at all, Rudy has range and has always had range while DeRozan does not also Rudy has very good handles for his height, he just doesnt pass it.

DeRozan has no 3 point shooting ability whatsoever, and his mid range shot is shaky at best.

DeRozan struggles with defense, if you watched USC anytime this past season you would notice how much he gambles defensively.

That doesnt take away from the fact his potential to be better in the future with good development espesially with a coach like Alex English is definetly worth a Lottery pick on.
    Derozan was killing it on defense against Arizona St. in the Pac-10 finals. Like he did a pretty good job on James Harden. So i think his defense is solid.

His Midrange game is the best part of his game. Its is not shaky at all. And if you read some of the draft reports, they say his range isn't taht bad at all. Derozan is defiantly a slasher and should add the ability to run and get to the hole for us.

Derozan's potential seems to be higher than anyone in this draft except for Grffin and i certainly would take the risk on the guy.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kmart
    Derozan was killing it on defense against Arizona St. in the Pac-10 finals. Like he did a pretty good job on James Harden. So i think his defense is solid.
    James Harden is very easy to defend, hes a high IQ basketball player who sometimes overthinks on the court and lacks the willingness to take the shots even if they are bad.

His Midrange game is the best part of his game. Its is not shaky at all. And if you read some of the draft reports, they say his range isn't taht bad at all. Derozan is defiantly a slasher and should add the ability to run and get to the hole for us.
    Your range cant be bad when shooting in front of invisible defenders, hes definetly a slasher.

Derozan's potential seems to be higher than anyone in this draft except for Grffin and i certainly would take the risk on the guy.
    I agree, but nobody is sure how good Dede can actually be as a pro.

Is his ceiling really Vince Carter?
    Nobody knows.