Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Decent playground baller

Default Re: Jerry West, "There are a lot of lousy players in the league today".

he's right with regard to the way the game is called. players are allowed to travel and carry today.

he's wrong about the level of play though.

NBA sixth man of the year Indian guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime
    Looking at the league today, wouldn't you?
    What's wrong with the league today?

Guys put in half the work
    And you're basing this on?

They weren't spoiled millionaires who had all the comforts and luxury these guys have.
    Millionaire = spoiled?

Do you have any idea the amount of hard work and dedication it takes just to make it to the NBA?

And to top it all off, as I said, they aren't as fundamentally sound on average.
    Don't need to be. They're far more athletic.

Quote Originally Posted by Indian guy
    And you're basing this on?
    It's obvious many players get by because of their natural athleticism and not the work they put into developing their skills. That's not to say that they don't work, but that many guys coast more and you can see it when they enter the NBA.

Millionaire = spoiled?
    No, idiot. Not only are the players making way more money then they should (especially compared to previous eras), but the luxury aspect of the league is night and day compared to Jerry's era. Private jets, the best hotels, luxury accommodations, shoe contracts where guys get the best shoes and gear, far superior treatment and training facilities, etc for even the worst players on the worst teams. This is not even close to what the players had in some previous eras. The players today are enjoying the things that former players helped facilitate, but didn't enjoy.

Do you have any idea the amount of hard work and dedication it takes just to make it to the NBA?
    I'm talking about the entire climate that players are in today, and how much easier it is. That doesn't mean players don't work.

Don't need to be. They're far more athletic.
    Not really. They just get by on their athleticism in their development.
    Last edited by Showtime; 02-02-2010 at 12:34 AM.

7-time NBA All-Star

What's wrong with the league today?
    The no touch rules on the perimeter, the lack of traveling calls, the death of low post play, the horrific coverage on ABC/ESPN.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    He goes on to say many of the players in the NBA today couldn't play in the league when he played.

"When I played, you couldn't palm the ball, and walk all over the court"

"These days, they have the 2-step rule, which is really the 3-step rule"

"It's Entertainment these days, I understand"

Jerry just put a serious beatdown on the NBA.

We know Jerry West thinks Lebron can become the GOAT... Enuff for me to keep watching some games.. But I never watch the bad teams.. Too many dumbaRs players playing..

There are a lot of lousy stiffs, but the top tier is better than it was. More athleticism = more potential. It's amazing, though, that certain players in the NBA are so athletic that they lack the ability to MAKE A JUMPER and still are able to get playing time.

Anyone in the NBA who isn't a big that can't hit an open jumper consistently should be ashamed.

The reason their development is stunted, I believe, is they are groomed to be superstars from such a young age. They don't have to work as hard for it.

A lot of people see the flair of the NBA's highlights, but all of the superstars have sound fundamentals. The only 'superstar' I can think of that lacks fundamental skill is Dwight Howard.

-Smak

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    The no touch rules on the perimeter, the lack of traveling calls, the death of low post play, the horrific coverage on ABC/ESPN.

The Lack of guys getting called for carrying as well.. Those hesitation moves are usually a carry.. Few players have good footwork nowadays.. Guys don't have mid jumpers anymore either.. Most teams don't have enough talent to even run a fastbreak..

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    He goes on to say many of the players in the NBA today couldn't play in the league when he played.

"When I played, you couldn't palm the ball, and walk all over the court"

"These days, they have the 2-step rule, which is really the 3-step rule"

"It's Entertainment these days, I understand"

Jerry just put a serious beatdown on the NBA.
    looks to me that this is a "fierce high punch" at lebron james.

But to be realistic, LeBron does that stuff because he can not because he needs to. You see what I mean? People act like Bron would be a horrible player if he didn't get some questionable steps. And he doesn't really get it often. It does happen, though... no denying it.

In Bron's mind I imagine he's like "There's no way they are gonna call me for traveling if I split 3 defenders and dunk." And most of the time they won't.

But he does seem bitter... especially saying that the NBA is about entertainment. As if it wasn't then? Also, he played for LAL his whole career... it's laughable to assume that he didn't get the benefit of the doubt plenty of times himself.

-Smak

lol Jerry West should shut the **** up. old timer would be a role player at best in the league today.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Knoe Itawl
    WTF? Could it possibly be that with all that they've seen, they may I don't know be RIGHT? Your assumption is that all older players must just be bitter, and that's a garbage assumption. They may just be pointing out what they're observing based on years of playing (and following) the sport. Not only was West a great player, but also a great GM so I'd say he knows a thing or two about evaluating talent.

It's like are people who lament that today's hiphop doesn't compare to the 80s and 90s just "are bitter too? Despite the fact that I've seen lots of people in their teens/early twenties who feel the same way?

Sure it's possible for older people to suffer from "Why back in my day" itis, but to automatically assume that's the case and ignore any argument regardless of merit is silly.

You have to admit that it is natural for people to appreciate their generation more....It's the same reason my parents would rather listen to oldies than Mos Def.

He is right about the entertainment thing. He is also right that players do get away with travels. But players have always gotten away with travels. But i would bet that most players in the NBA today could in fact be solid contributors in the NBA when he played because of the single coverage and faster pace a lot of our very athletic players today could be very solid contributors in the past.

Root Of All Evil

It never fails to amaze me just how bitter and insecure all past players tend to be about the current state of the league.
    Truth

And it happens to every generation's players. It's sad really.

Quote Originally Posted by tsforthrees
    lol Jerry West should shut the **** up. old timer would be a role player at best in the league today.
    he would be in d-league.

Root Of All Evil

Quote Originally Posted by The_Yearning
    who cares what the white man got to say, we black presidents now
    Obama is half white for starters. And this post just screams racism. Afterall the true celebration was the fact that a president was elected without COLOR of skin being an issue. It shouldn't be celebrated BECAUSE he is half black. That undermines the very message and meaning of what Obama getting elected stood for, basically.

Yet ... many ignorant people couldn't comprehend that when Obama was elected. "YAY ... a black president". Instead of "YAY ... stubborn white / hispanic / asian people didn't vote or not vote for someone for the content of their skin, but the content of their character."