Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Are Westbrook and Durant redundant?

When Wade and LeBron came together, the biggest question was, are these guys redundant? Both players seemingly needed the ball in the their hands to be effective, and people questioned whether it would work. In hindsight, LeBron and Wade have admitted that their games were redundant, and that eventually Wade needed to fill a different role to make it work.

With Westbrook and Durant, I feel there has always been questions about team leadership and Westbrook dominating the ball, but I don't think we've ever really questioned if their games were redundant. The assumption seemed to be that Durant's game was good enough off-the-ball to allow Westbrook to do his thing... but after seeing Durant as the vocal point of the offense, I'm not sure that's the case. Maybe Durant does need to have the ball in his hands for this Thunder team to reach their potential.

High School Varsity 6th Man BigMacAttack's Avatar

Default Re: Are Westbrook and Durant redundant?

Both amazing players so they can work together but Westbrook gotta defer to KD now, KD needs to be a clear 1st option, im not sure if Russ can handle that.

Like ive said a couple times, if OKC cant get it done you gotta look at what you can get for Russ.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMacAttack
    Both amazing players so they can work together but Westbrook gotta defer to KD now, KD needs to be a clear 1st option, im not sure if Russ can handle that.

Like ive said a couple times, if OKC cant get it done you gotta look at what you can get for Russ.

Well, right now, for example, I am almost sure the Thunder would get the Nr 1 pick for Westbrook.

Imagine Thunder getting Embiid. At the same time, any team that holds the Nr 1 pick would be amazingly stupid to pass out on Westbrook.

Kobelicious

OKC will regret no trading WB

goatbrook is too much alpha,
    his presence alone already make durant insecure
    he even missed his FT

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei89
    Well, right now, for example, I am almost sure the Thunder would get the Nr 1 pick for Westbrook.

Imagine Thunder getting Embiid. At the same time, any team that holds the Nr 1 pick would be amazingly stupid to pass out on Westbrook.
    KD is just about ready for his peak and you want to trade a top 10 player for a big men with potential? Really? That's an awful idea, in my opinion. Also, let's remember that KD is an excellent player off the ball. He doesn't need the ball in his hands to score. He's excellent coming off of screens and catch and shoot situations are his bread and butter. Whereas Westbrook is the ball dominant player, and so, it works. However, when the Heat came together, both Wade and Bron were ball dominant for their respective teams. Thus, the need for adjustment.

okc isnt winning shit without both players

Decent playground baller

OKC reminds me so much of the 97-99 Lakers. So much talent but the coach always looks lost.

They should try to get Jeff Van Gundy or make Phil Jackson the richest coach in sports history and give him 1 % ownership like MIami did with Riley.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Anfernee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lamar Odumbb
    OKC reminds me so much of the 97-99 Lakers. So much talent but the coach always looks lost.

They should try to get Jeff Van Gundy or make Phil Jackson the richest coach in sports history and give him 1 % ownership like MIami did with Riley.
    This.

A team will never win with Durant dominating the ball. He is a not a good enough playmaker.

Quote Originally Posted by VIntageNOvel
    OKC will regret no trading WB

goatbrook is too much alpha,
    his presence alone already make durant insecure
    I feel this way too. I've always felt they needed a traditional, level headed, non spastic emotional leader from the point guard position, maybe a post player too. Trade him while his value is high. With the ball in Durant's hands more OKC looked better. Or at least off the ball without Russ eating into his touches and shots. Westbrick being out Made KD improve as a playmaker. They still need a legit second option but these conflict one another. Westbrick being the weak link. And unlike other Alpha / Alpha tandems who got it done because they were just too good even with a conflict of superiority (Bron / Wade, Shaq / Kobe) He feels different in terms of swagger or confidence when Westbrick isn't out there. He goes from Slim Reaper to The Servant

Last edited by SamuraiSWISH; 02-21-2014 at 10:16 AM.

No, they aren't. The rest of the team needs Russ more than they need Durant. Yeah sure, Durant had a nice amazing stretch without him. But does anyone think Lebron doesn't light him up last night if Goatbrook doesn't play?

Let's all be prisoners of the moment and forget the Thunder were near unbeatable before Goatbrook had his last surgery. It's not his fault he wants to come back while others would rather eat skittles on the bench of playoff games.

Goatbrook is a mismatch for 9 out of 10 PGs in the league. He is not the problem, believe dat.

Local High School Star

OKC needs a coaching change more than anything else. It's amazing the pass that Scott Brooks gets.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

West and Baylor needed the ball. Shaq and Kobe. Bird and Mchale. Magic and Kareem...

Two guys being attackers doesnt mean they cant coexist. The rest of the team just has to fall into line. Im not sure the Thunder would be better with a pass first point. Russell has won them a hell of a lot of games the last 4 years. Including the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    A team will never win with Durant dominating the ball. He is a not a good enough playmaker.
    and Westbrook is?

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    and Westbrook is?
    Yes. Did you watch the OKC games this season before WB went down again?