Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default Is the efficiency of driving and kicking for TWO-pointers = posting up?

No... It isn't.

This is why post-ups were used over screen-roll/drive-and-kick in the 80's and 90's - teams simply didn't have the 3-point personnel to make drive-and-kick mathematically worthwhile compared to post-ups.

The only reason screen-roll/drive-and-kick is the foundation of every team's offense in TODAY'S game is because the 3-point shooting exists to make it a more efficient play.

This proves that the decline in post-ups is due to higher efficiency drive-and-kick made possible by 3-pointers, not defensive tactics.. In the absence of 3-pointers, no amount of defensive strategy could prevent post-ups from supplanting drive-and-kick.

These are the mathematical facts... And btw, Popovich recently SAID the above things - he said he hates 3-pointers and that 3-pointers have replaced post ups.. He didn't say anything about defense preventing post ups - he said THREE POINTERS have caused post-ups to decline.
    Last edited by 3ball; 12-10-2015 at 03:20 PM.

Banned

Default Re: Is the efficiency of driving and kicking for TWO-pointers = posting up?

What, did the 80's have no 3-point line or something?

NBA Legend

Default Re: Is the efficiency of driving and kicking for TWO-pointers = posting up?

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    Lebron is basically MJ in a much stronger era

Very good NBA starter

Local High School Star

I've never responded to any of your posts directly 3ball and I must say that I do enjoy some of your views.

The 3 point personnel has ALWAYS EXISTED in the NBA even back to the 1970's ABA. People act like the 3'pointer is like the Rock and Jock 25 point shot!!! Hell a scrawny Chris Ford was the league leader in 3's the first few years.

The difference was that almost EVERY team back in the 80's (when the 3 started) had 2 or 3 legitimate low post scoring options and the shots created from that were usually quick 18 to 20 footers (Dennis Johnson 20 foot layup) or layups and dunks (Kareem to Magic), the 3 pointer was an afterthought mainly because teams actually RAN back then and a miss usually resulted in long rebounds for the other team.

The other reason is FUNCTIONALITY! Why would you hoist up 25+ 3 's when you have Kareem and Worthy, McHale, Bird and Parish, Sampson and Olajuwon or Moses down low!?! That's just bad basketball in ANY era.

Michael Cooper, Byron Scott and even Magic late in his career could've shot A MILLION threes whenever they wanted to but they knew that it would not be taking advantage of the better more efficient options they had down low.
    After the mid 90's and the decline in low post play as well as the scoring PG phenomenon teams have had to look elsewhere for offense. Can't run an inside-out/fast break attack without a classic low post center or pass first PG.

Transplant the 80's Celtics and Lakers into today's NBA and maybe they take a few more 3's but more or less would play the same way they did back then and would still score 120 points and WRECK the modern 3 point happy teams in the process!

This is common knowledge. No hand checking has resulted in it being much easier to shoot the 3, which in turn means that it's going to be taken more frequently than in eras with hand checking. This in turn results in 3 pointers replacing post ups. Post ups are not as frequent in today's game not because of defense, but for the reason that 3ball stated which is the 3 point shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime80'
    I've never responded to any of your posts directly 3ball and I must say that I do enjoy some of your views.

The 3 point personnel has ALWAYS EXISTED in the NBA even back to the 1970's ABA. People act like the 3'pointer is like the Rock and Jock 25 point shot!!! Hell a scrawny Chris Ford was the league leader in 3's the first few years.

The difference was that almost EVERY team back in the 80's (when the 3 started) had 2 or 3 legitimate low post scoring options and the shots created from that were usually quick 18 to 20 footers (Dennis Johnson 20 foot layup) or layups and dunks (Kareem to Magic), the 3 pointer was an afterthought mainly because teams actually RAN back then and a miss usually resulted in long rebounds for the other team.

The other reason is FUNCTIONALITY! Why would you hoist up 25+ 3 's when you have Kareem and Worthy, McHale, Bird and Parish, Sampson and Olajuwon or Moses down low!?! That's just bad basketball in ANY era.

Michael Cooper, Byron Scott and even Magic late in his career could've shot A MILLION threes whenever they wanted to but they knew that it would not be taking advantage of the better more efficient options they had down low.
    After the mid 90's and the decline in low post play as well as the scoring PG phenomenon teams have had to look elsewhere for offense. Can't run an inside-out/fast break attack without a classic low post center or pass first PG.

Transplant the 80's Celtics and Lakers into today's NBA and maybe they take a few more 3's but more or less would play the same way they did back then and would still score 120 points and WRECK the modern 3 point happy teams in the process!
    30% of 3ball's posts have merit. 0% of them use properly constructed arguments. Also there is NO WAY 80s Celtics and Lakers would play the same way in today's league and have ANY success. They would have a lot of success but they'd change their play quite a bit to achieve it. A big isn't even allowed to post up for more than a few seconds and has a zone defense collapsing in on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight_Ballin
    This is common knowledge. No hand checking has resulted in it being much easier to shoot the 3, which in turn means that it's going to be taken more frequently than in eras with hand checking. This in turn results in 3 pointers replacing post ups. Post ups are not as frequent in today's game not because of defense, but for the reason that 3ball stated which is the 3 point shot.
    I don't think handchecking has affected 3pt shooting directly. Handchecking has affected guard penetration. Guards get in the paint at will today. But that has had a 2nd order effect on 3pt shooting and spacing.
    Last edited by FKAri; 12-10-2015 at 03:41 PM.

Local High School Star

Please!

Kareem, Magic, Worthy, McHale, Parish, Bird and Walton were MONSTER college players with awesome post up games against REAL ZONE and no 3 point line!!! They would murder the present SOFT ZONE RULES!

An older Tim Duncan at 40+ years old can still post up ANYTIME wherever he wants on the floor and he NEVER had the refined post game the guys I mentioned above had.

Posting up takes a committed skillful player in that area and a competent pass first PG knowing were to get the ball to that player. Two aspects SEVERELY LACKING in the modern NBA!

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    I don't think handchecking has affected 3pt shooting directly. Handchecking has affected guard penetration. Guards get in the paint at will today. But that has had a 2nd order effect on 3pt shooting and spacing.
    When I play outdoors, it's much more difficult for me to get my 3 point shot off because it's street ball, there are no refs, and I have to use my off arm to create space. Hand checked the entire game. I take less 3 pointers per game in street ball. When playing league ball, the defender can barely even touch me without getting the whistle and all I have to do is chain a simple in out dribble after a cross over or behind the back move and I have a wide open look. Hand checking absolutely effects the # of 3 point shots taken.

ridiculous
    Last edited by 3ball; 12-10-2015 at 04:59 PM.

Very good NBA starter

Seriously man, the lack of handchecking makes a world of difference for 3 point shooting.

Next game, watch what happens after penetration, 50% of the time it's a kickout to the man who had his defender shadow/sag, then he either shoots from there or swings the ball.

The ease of which a guard can get past his man, in addition to blatant moving screens being allowed, means you get a 5 on 4 scenario AT WILL, which creates the opportunity for an open 3 or an open swing ball option.

Quote Originally Posted by Fkari

I don't think handchecking has affected 3pt shooting directly.
    You obviously never played ball yourself.

When perimeter defense is hands-off, that means there is mandatory space between defender and ballhandler - the space makes it easier to pull-up for jumpshots compared to hands-ON defense and NO space between defender and ballhandler.

(I find it amusing that guys act like experts on something they've tried to teach themselves without actually doing it... Invariably, there will be huge gaps in their knowledge and perception).

Quote Originally Posted by Fkari

Handchecking has affected guard penetration. Guards get in the paint at will today. But that has had a 2nd order effect on 3pt shooting and spacing.
    Agreed
    Last edited by 3ball; 12-12-2015 at 04:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime80'
    Please!

Kareem, Magic, Worthy, McHale, Parish, Bird and Walton were MONSTER college players with awesome post up games against REAL ZONE and no 3 point line!!! They would murder the present SOFT ZONE RULES!

An older Tim Duncan at 40+ years old can still post up ANYTIME wherever he wants on the floor and he NEVER had the refined post game the guys I mentioned above had.

Posting up takes a committed skillful player in that area and a competent pass first PG knowing were to get the ball to that player. Two aspects SEVERELY LACKING in the modern NBA!
    It's harder to be effective in the post today just as it is easier for guards to get in the paint and easier for shooters to get open. It's not ALL easier. Be reasonable.

people spouting what they WANT to believe, with no backup of logic or facts.

It's harder to be effective in the post today just as it is easier for guards to get in the paint and easier for shooters to get open. It's not ALL easier. Be reasonable.
    It is all easier... Spacing makes all aspects of offense easier - this is a fact.

When Popovich complained about having to shoot 3-pointers over posting up, he didn't say a SINGLE THING about defense..

He simply said 3-pointers have replaced post ups as the more efficient option - this is what he said - I'll take his word and the MATH over your delusions..