Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Summer League Thread

Really have liked Lonzos court vision, ability to drive and kick, and ability to get fast breaks going with the ball in his hand and passing the ball up. Obvious concern with his shot. And defensively, he looks a step slow. He has great natural court vision, but his shot will need to be somewhat respectable otherwise he will be next Rubio. Still early but hope its not a sign of whats to come. His shot takes some time to release.

Lakers playing it smart benching Lonzo tonight tbh. Fox is on his way to being a scoring pg while Lonzo is more of a playmaker.

In a 1v1 match and games where both teams are playing with scrubs, Fox would look better for sure. Lonzo is not a scorer and his game is predicated on others scoring while he puts them in positions to succeed as a true point. Lakers will have better players around him in regular season as opposed to summer league, thereby putting Lonzo in better position to succeed.

As a team, I expect Lakers to be better or as good as the Kings. As individuals though, I expect Fox to put up more points on the board. Lonzo will give you a little of everything, including rebounds and more assists ultimately.

NBA lottery pick

I'm a little concerned with Zubac. He's just not doing much. He's not getting a lot of shots up and sometimes in summer league it can be hard for a big guy like that to get the ball unless the coaches put a focus on it. Even at that he's not blocking shots and getting rebounds. I feel like those are things he could always do. Just seems like he's not quite as ready as we would have liked.

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    I'm a little concerned with Zubac. He's just not doing much. He's not getting a lot of shots up and sometimes in summer league it can be hard for a big guy like that to get the ball unless the coaches put a focus on it. Even at that he's not blocking shots and getting rebounds. I feel like those are things he could always do. Just seems like he's not quite as ready as we would have liked.
    Very hard to defend a guy who had 0 rebs and 0 blocks for the entire game.
    The only thing is he is only playing bet 15-16 mins/game just like Friday where Wear played 8 more mins. Is he failing to do things he's been tasked to do like getting to certain spots on the court?
    Or is this by design just like when Luke started benching Mozgov bec he prefers a smaller lineup?

NBA lottery pick

I think anyone of us could get 1 rebound luckily somehow in a summer league game lol.

NBA lottery pick

I just saw the highlights. Looks like Lonzo just put up the best game of the summer.

I just saw the highlights. Looks like Lonzo just put up the best game of the summer.
    I was laughing today reading some of the Lonzo haters shift their positions from "Lonzo is a bust" to "He won't be able to do anything against actual nba players." If he does well in preseason against actual nba players, I expect many of these folks to shift to "Well, he won't do it in regular season."

I don't put much stock in summer league or preseason, but it is pretty fun regardless to watch.

NBA lottery pick

Well, Lonzo ended up on the first team and as the MVP of the tournament. Lonzo had an impressive summer league. 4 games with over 10 assists is unheard of. Speaking of unheard of, Kuzma ended up on the 2nd team. I didn't know who he was heading into Vegas this summer. He can really score the ball and is an excellent shooter. The Lakers have been looking for that stretch 4. I could see him getting some playing time this season.

I know it's just summer league but this season's rookie class looked a notch above the previous few summers. There's 5 PG's from that class that looked terrific and it feels like they are going to be starters next season. Not to mention the wings like Tatum and Jackson. Even in Orlando the lottery picks seemed solid. Kennard was pretty good for Detroit. It seems like he might crack the rotation there, which is very rare for SVG to do.

This might end up being the best class since the one that had LeBron, Melo, Wade, etc back in 03. Deepest draft we have seen in years as well.

I am looking forward to this season for sure! Much more so than last 4 years because we actually have something to look forward to rather than kobe chuck mode or youngsters not sure how to play team ball last year.

Kuzma will be the guy to watch tbh. I am hoping he can become our go-to shooter off the bench. His versatility and range could potentially make either Randle or Nance Jr expendable down the road. I kind of hope we can trade one of them, possibly Randle, for an upgrade elsewhere. I like what Nance brings defensively and the composure he brings - not the reckless fire you get from Randle.

If Lonzo can hit his shots at slightly better consistency, I think we have a very deadly weapon on our hands beyond even Steve Nash level. Even if he can't, he will still be deadly with his great court vision that truly boggles my mind. He can transform this team into one based around teamwork. A team united is vastly more dangerous than a team like the Thunder that were pretty much Westbrook dribbling around the ball for 40 minutes each night lol

NBA lottery pick

Yeah, I think the one thing this draft doesn't have is the superstar level players. It's a lot of all-stars. There's no Durant, Curry, etc. But that's fine. Those drafts weren't as deep as this one.

I was really disappointed Josh hart got hurt and was not able to play more than 2 games.
    Everyone is talking about Lonzo and Kuzma but I think Matt Thomas if they don't sign him to a 2-way contract will be signed by another team. The guy has a real good stroke, even JVG as impressed. Shot 60% in 8 SPL games from the 3pt area. Yes, he'll have problems defending the fast guards but he can really stretch the floor out there. 4 Year player= A lot more mature.
    I'm torn about Vander Blue now bec of his ability to penetrate and finish. Also has decent stroke, but I'm not sure if it'll translate. Is Ian Clark so much better tho?

High School Varsity 6th Man

I hope we sign Matt Thomas. He is a sniper from three and a big part of why we won the championship. I also would rather have Travis Wear on our roster than Luol Deng. Vander Blue deserves a training camp invite also.

NBA lottery pick

I agree about Hart. We all would have liked to have seen what he could do against the slightly better than college competition. Vander is one of those guys I can't figure out. It's pretty obvious he can score the ball with ease. But is he just one of those guys that can dominate the G League and Summer League (kinda like Jimmer)? He had one decent game for the Lakers a few years back. He hasn't really had much of a chance for some reason. There has to be a reason after all these years not one team has given him a chance. I've always said the best players of the G league should always have a shot. He was the MVP of it.

Home of the 16

I agree about Hart. We all would have liked to have seen what he could do against the slightly better than college competition. Vander is one of those guys I can't figure out. It's pretty obvious he can score the ball with ease. But is he just one of those guys that can dominate the G League and Summer League (kinda like Jimmer)? He had one decent game for the Lakers a few years back. He hasn't really had much of a chance for some reason. There has to be a reason after all these years not one team has given him a chance. I've always said the best players of the G league should always have a shot. He was the MVP of it.
    He was shooting "okay" in the SL, I don't know his shooting %. He likes to drive which was really nice because he did it well during head to head games. Kept the Lakers alive.

I think it's really because most of the teams are trying to replicate GSW now, and an average shooter/defender like him just wouldn't cut it. But idk, I'm confused as well. He could always be a drive and kick out guy.

I think a lot will depend on their ability to defend and find a significant role on offense. I really like Matt Thomas' ability to shoot from the perimeter, the guy was consistently good from his college years AND SPL. But if he or Van Blue can't play good enough defense then it'll be a bad fit considering that Lonzo is also having some trouble defending. I think that was one of the biggest reasons they traded Russell aside from lack of leadership and inability to make teammates better, his atrocious defense.