Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Is Isaiah Thomas Underrated?

Right now he's averaging 26 points 7 assists with a pretty damn good TS%. Is it time that we start mentioning him as a candidate for the Eastern Conference's best point guard?

Default Re: Is Isaiah Thomas Underrated?

Not with that defense

I rule the local playground

I don't think he gets the respect he deserves for carrying that team offensively most nights

Local High School Star

Yeah that's what I'm saying. He's actually an elite scorer, and at least a "good" passer. He scores in every way imaginable, and he's even dropped 40 points in the playoffs before.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

yes, because his size doesn't actually seem to cause him any set backs yet it's constantly in the back of everyone's mind when assessing him. he finishes around the rim just as consistently as any of the point guards in the league, he's an elite scorer and a very good passer and his defense isn't even any worse than the best offensively minded guards.

the celtics haven't really come together yet but he doesn't seem to be playing above himself so no reason this isn't sustainable.

I had hoped though his 3pt shot would show improvement this year, if he added that he's the best guard in the east.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by antonAC
    yes, because his size doesn't actually seem to cause him any set backs yet it's constantly in the back of everyone's mind when assessing him. he finishes around the rim just as consistently as any of the point guards in the league, he's an elite scorer and a very good passer and his defense isn't even any worse than the best offensively minded guards.

the celtics haven't really come together yet but he doesn't seem to be playing above himself so no reason this isn't sustainable.

I had hoped though his 3pt shot would show improvement this year, if he added that he's the best guard in the east.
    Yeah, I swear it's just the whole idea of being undersized that gets him underrated. He's not really a worse defender than many other point guards, and really, he's not definitely offensively worse than any of them except maybe Curry, Westbrook (Consider westbrook's volume) and Dame (I think he's playing a bit above his head). IF IT keeps this up, he's in my mind a top 6 PG for sure.

Current rankings

1. Curry/Westbrook
    2. Westbrook/Curry
    3. CP3/James Harden
    4. Harden/CP3
    5. Dame
    6. IT
    7. Wall
    8. Kyrie
    9. Lowry
    10. Somone else

So many great PG's this year, though I'd imagine at least a few people are going to drop off/and or rise at some point.

Banned

overrated. Horrible defender, low percentage AI Jr. style chucker.

Hell yeah he's underrated. Dude is freaken 5'9" without shoes, meaning he's just an average sized guy. And look what he's doing against the best in the world in basketball. The odds of a guy like him making it in the NBA must in like 1 in several hundred million. The way he can break down defenders time and time again, get to the rack and still score over those NBA trees? It's ridiculous.

Height is a HUGE factor in the NBA. The shorter you are, the greater the odds are of you failing. Doesn't take Einstein to figure that out.

Decent college freshman theaussieguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    Hell yeah he's underrated. Dude is freaken 5'9" without shoes, meaning he's just an average sized guy. And look what he's doing against the best in the world in basketball. The odds of a guy like him making it in the NBA must in like 1 in several hundred million. The way he can break down defenders time and time again, get to the rack and still score over those NBA trees? It's ridiculous.

Height is a HUGE factor in the NBA. The shorter you are, the greater the odds are of you failing. Doesn't take Einstein to figure that out.

he is actually 5'8 without shoes, dude is an absolute freak with a 40 plus inch vert, he also has a huge skillset and a good head on his shoulders.

https://youtu.be/TChB5nLOfLg?t=1m54s

this pullup is so ****ing nasty, the amount of torque his knee has to endure...strong little bastard
    Last edited by theaussieguy; 11-07-2016 at 05:20 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

No...if anything, I think he's overrated.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CTbasketball92
    Yeah, I swear it's just the whole idea of being undersized that gets him underrated. He's not really a worse defender than many other point guards, and really, he's not definitely offensively worse than any of them except maybe Curry, Westbrook (Consider westbrook's volume) and Dame (I think he's playing a bit above his head). IF IT keeps this up, he's in my mind a top 6 PG for sure.

Current rankings

1. Curry/Westbrook
    2. Westbrook/Curry
    3. CP3/James Harden
    4. Harden/CP3
    5. Dame
    6. IT
    7. Wall
    8. Kyrie
    9. Lowry
    10. Somone else

So many great PG's this year, though I'd imagine at least a few people are going to drop off/and or rise at some point.

how can you possibly have isaih thomas above kyrie after what we saw in the playoffs last year? Lowry and Wall just off the eye test are better too imo..

i thought he was just flying under the radar pretty good, but youre overrating him big time. He's a little chucker.. that gets to take a lot of shots on a team with no offensive stars.

Made that high school varsity squad pedromarinho's Avatar

Nor under nor over.

1. Curry
    2. CP3
    3. Harden
    4. Lillard
    5. Kyrie
    6. Westbrook
    7. Wall
    8. Lowry
    9. IT

Brodie has stats, yeah, but a team leaded by him would never win. Hurts the team.
    Last edited by pedromarinho; 11-07-2016 at 05:24 PM.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    how can you possibly have isaih thomas above kyrie after what we saw in the playoffs last year? Lowry and Wall just off the eye test are better too imo..

i thought he was just flying under the radar pretty good, but youre overrating him big time. He's a little chucker.. that gets to take a lot of shots on a team with no offensive stars.

Lol i think Kyrie is better, but so far this season, IT has been absolutely elite. Just a six game sample that I do think is fairly sustainable, though Irving has also been really good and will likely step it up a notch soon.

Quote Originally Posted by pedromarinho
    Nor under nor over.

1. Curry
    2. CP3
    3. Harden
    4. Lillard
    5. Kyrie
    6. Westbrook
    7. Wall
    8. Lowry
    9. IT

Brodie has stats, yeah, but a team leaded by him would never win. Hurts the team.
    There is no way in hell Westbrook is the 5th best PG in the league.
    Kyrie>Westbrook is just
    And I'm still not listing Harden as a PG, screw D'antoni

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by pedromarinho
    Nor under nor over.

1. Curry
    2. CP3
    3. Harden
    4. Lillard
    5. Kyrie
    6. Westbrook
    7. Wall
    8. Lowry
    9. IT

If Westbrook were on the Blazers, they'd easily lock up the third seed in the West. Easily.