Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Default Re: Per Woj: Brooklyn and Charlotte Talking on Trading Joe Johnson/Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by IncarceratedBob
    Am I the only one who finds it hilarious how irrelevant the Nets are?
    I think it's pathetic. No matter what they've done (from signing Deron Williams to trading for Paul Pierce & Kevin Garnett), they've remained irrelevant since the back-to-back Finals appearances that Jason Kidd led them to. At best, they've been second round fodder. They're not much of a franchise with a sub-.500 record both in the regular season, postseason, and combined.

Default Re: Per Woj: Brooklyn and Charlotte Talking on Trading Joe Johnson/Lance Stephenson

People in here realize Joe Johnson averages 15ppg on 43% shooting right?

Decent college freshman

With Kemba out due to a meniscus tear, Charlotte might as well stand pat. Getting JJ meant really going for a playoff birth, but I'd kinda expect Kemba to be out for too long for that to materialize.

They should open up the rotation some and give more mins to Hairston & Vonleh to let them develop. They can let Lance play lead ball handler in lineups w/o Jefferson so they don't get in each others' way. With this arrangement, they may lose more games and help their drafting position.

I don't see the point in trading for a guy on a "supermax" on a team that might barely get the 8 seed with him right now.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    I think JJ would do wonders for Charlotte. They are in desperate need of a great shooter... and if there is one thing JJ can still do, it's shoot.
    Agreed, the Hornets are 27th in points per game (94.8), 29th in offensive rating (100.8), and 29th in eFG% (45.6%). Joe Johnson, despite being overpaid and 33 years old, can still provide 15+ points per game whilst remaining efficient, making the Hornets a 2nd round-caliber playoffs team. Lance Stephenson has been horrendous offensively, Gerald Henderson doesn't contribute much defensively, and Marvin Williams is just a role player, with good midrange shooting, that can finish inside.

JJ hasn't made any team better for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by SwishSquared
    With Kemba out due to a meniscus tear, Charlotte might as well stand pat. Getting JJ meant really going for a playoff birth, but I'd kinda expect Kemba to be out for too long for that to materialize.

They should open up the rotation some and give more mins to Hairston & Vonleh to let them develop. They can let Lance play lead ball handler in lineups w/o Jefferson so they don't get in each others' way. With this arrangement, they may lose more games and help their drafting position.

I don't see the point in trading for a guy on a "supermax" on a team that might barely get the 8 seed with him right now.
    He's only missing six weeks, so I think the Hornets are definitely going to be making the playoffs as an 8th seed (at least), with their competition coming from a Detroit Pistons team without their best player (for 6-9 months) and a Nets team with two significant players injured.

I don't think they should tank because they already have a good roster. A core of Al Jefferson, Kemba Walker, and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist is excellent, and with the right players, they could be an elite team overall.

You don't see the point in trading for an elite scorer on one of the worst offensive teams in the league? I'm not saying it's necessarily a great idea with Johnson's expensive contract but it definitely fits a legitimate need for the Hornets.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova5912
    He's only missing six weeks, so I think the Hornets are definitely going to be making the playoffs as an 8th seed (at least), with their competition coming from a Detroit Pistons team without their best player (for 6-9 months) and a Nets team with two significant players injured.

I don't think they should tank because they already have a good roster. A core of Al Jefferson, Kemba Walker, and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist is excellent, and with the right players, they could be an elite team overall.

You don't see the point in trading for an elite scorer on one of the worst offensive teams in the league? I'm not saying it's necessarily a great idea with Johnson's expensive contract but it definitely fits a legitimate need for the Hornets.
    ...excellent if you plan on trying to fight for the 8 seed every single season maybe...

And how is Joe Johnson elite? No part of his game comes close to being elite anymore, if it ever was to begin with.

Decent college freshman

He's only out 6 weeks? Are they cutting out (part of) his meniscus? If so, HUGE mistake. I know a meniscus repair may not take long to heal, but I can't see how he'd be effective with such a short time frame if it's just a repair.

Anyway, Johnson is battling tendonitis and has been for some time. That'd be a big flag for me, especially since Hornets have been dealing with the injury bug this season. With him + healthy Kemba, I think at most Hornets would get is a 7 seed because I doubt they'd catch the Bucks this year (but hey, you never know).

I actually don't think Johnson is an elite scorer right now, and maybe that's due to health reasons. Before Kemba was hurt and before I knew JJ has health issues, I could endorse this trade. But Henderson has actually outplayed JJ over the last month- Johnson's numbers are down compared to November/December and who knows when he gets right. On paper, a player like JJ (big wing, can shoot 3s, create/execute in the clutch) would be a really nice fit in Charlotte. Johnson right now isn't the same guy he was last year. *That* guy would be awesome for the Hornets.

Plus Big Al could leave this offseason and Hornets might not get an equal impact player (his awful D notwithstanding) with the available cap space they'd have...

Honestly surprised Jordan would be willing to pay for JJ's deal for another year.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong
    Honestly surprised Jordan would be willing to pay for JJ's deal for another year.
    I'm kinda surprised too, but I guess it's "just" a couple million more than the Lance/Henderson/Williams trio are slated to make next year, assuming that Hendo doesn't opt out.

If they really want to dump Lance, and soon, in exchange for JJ, I think they need to keep Hendo. He's picked it up a bit the last couple weeks and until Johnson is actually healthy, a rotation wing is kinda a must. This trade is slightly better imo for Charlotte:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=qfyyuzb

Then sign Gal Mekel to a 10-day contract and try to get Jeff Adrien when he comes back from China to round out the big man rotation. Should open up some mins for Vonleh in the mean time.

Just think this year it might be better for Hornets to have a better draft pick. If Booker comes out, he'd be a perfect option for them imo.

Quote Originally Posted by hawksdogsbraves
    ...excellent if you plan on trying to fight for the 8 seed every single season maybe...

And how is Joe Johnson elite? No part of his game comes close to being elite anymore, if it ever was to begin with.
    Um, Al Jefferson and Kemba Walker basically carried a Bobcats team full of role players to a 43-39 record and a 7th seed in the playoffs by themselves last season. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist has gotten better and better, looking to become one of the most elite defensive wings today.

Joe Johnson was an elite scorer and can still put up points at an elite level.

Um, Al Jefferson and Kemba Walker basically carried a Bobcats team full of role players to a 43-39 record and a 7th seed in the playoffs by themselves last season. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist has gotten better and better, looking to become one of the most elite defensive wings today.

Joe Johnson was an elite scorer and can still put up points at an elite level.
    He averages 15ppg on 43% shooting. How on earth is that putting up points at an elite level? If this were 5 years ago and he were putting up 22/5/5 still maybe I'd agree, but this version of Joe Johnson couldn't be further from elite.

MKG is a good defender, but his offensive game may have actually gotten WORSE since his rookie year, which is pretty disconcerting. You can be a great defender but if you put up 9ppg on 42% shooting, your value is fairly limited. Too easy to stop an offense that has to play 4v5.

Decent playground baller They Won's Avatar

So a headcase for a bad contract. Interesting.

JOe Sucks couldnt be happier about this deal. Maybe with some older heads around him LS will flourish or atleast get on the right track.

JJ was good for us, but hes far over the hill aside from some sick clutch moments!

Really like this trade for the nets. Start getting the bad contracts out starting with the worst of all. Hope Lopez and Deron are out next. Nothing but hype and no delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong
    Might also be a clear out the locker room kind of move.