Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Default Re: Andre Miller signs with Trail Blazers

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    If Brandon Roy is a top 3 shooting guard, which you might now agree with, than we have to look at Kobe and Wade's back court.

Wade has who? Chalmers. Definitely not better than Andre Miller at this point.

Kobe has Fisher. Fisher has good defense but he is just an okay passer. His offense is better so at least this one is close.

You can talk about Chris Paul or Billups, but their SG's are no where near the level that Roy, Kobe, and Wade are at.
    Fisher isnt alot more then a warm body at this point. His offence isnt better then Miller, his spot shooting is which he is simply ok at. Fisher is the worst pg in the nba at attacking the basket. Miller is one of the best.

I think Millers defficientcy as a shooter isnt a huge deal. They had Roy paired with a catch and shoot pg in Blake already and that didnt cut it for the organization. Webster and Outlaw are jumpshooters, Aldridge is a good jump shooter. I think they have a situation like the cavs where having the ball in one guys hands the whole game can be a disadvantage in the playoffs. More so if that guy isnt the best player alive.

I think they have a situation like the cavs where having the ball in one guys hands the whole game can be a disadvantage in the playoffs.
    Yeah so what did they do? They signed Larry Hughes: a guy who isn't that good, obviously doesn't mesh with what you have, can't shoot, and who needs the ball in his hands to be effective. They had this guy play point, and it was an utter disaster.

If the Lakers can win a title with Fisher at point, the Blazers can do so with Blake at point, provided they have a quality third guard, which they do, or will, in Bayless. They certainly could use an upgrade (Hinrich, who is essentially the Uber-Blake in almost every way) but an upgrade and a transplant are entirely different things. If someone has heart disease you don't take his heart out and replace it with a dog's heart. You put in a better human heart. And Steve Blake is far from a disease.
    Last edited by Clifton; 07-25-2009 at 10:24 AM.

obviously its an upgrade but miller is not a great fit for portland, as someone suggested- hinrich would be much better.

Local High School Star John Smith's Avatar

Lou Williams...LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ukplayer4
    obviously its an upgrade but miller is not a great fit for portland, as someone suggested- hinrich would be much better.
    When the trade negotiations were going on this summer, a lot of talk has been going on in local radio stations that Hinrich would be no better than Blake. So that given it's not an upgrade for me. I think Miller with his veteran experience can help shape some of these guys and I think he will meld just fine with the team.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z.W.
    As a big time Blazers fan, I wasn't exactly "thrilled" with this acquisition, like many others, I preferred Hinrich because he just seems to be a better fit for the Blazers offense.

However, that said, I still think Andre Miller will make us a better team - and its not just because of veteran leadership and experience. His value seems sort of underrated here on ISH. Its true neither of our guards is good off the ball, but at the same time, having 1 more player that can make plays in half court during critical situations cannot hurt imo. Andre can't really shoot past 18~20 foot (he is very high percentage shooter when within range though), but he forces mismatches when he's posting up, doesn't take bad shots and is of course, a terrific passer.

Lets face it, as skilled as Roy is, (despite his increasing games played) Blazer fans should know he isn't exactly iron man, he has a lot of nagging injuries and is quite banged up at certain points of the season. Having Roy to log heavy minutes in every close game and needing him to make plays every single possession during crunch time is not exactly the best for his longevity. Having Miller should be able to ease his burden when the Blazers need somebody else to create an opportunity for the team to score.

Not to mention the contract is formed quite nicely, I was worried about a long term deal with him because he is getting up there in age (33); but with a team option on the last year, Blazers can let him walk in just two years time if he starts to get 'washed up.'
    This is a good observation. This would be nice to take the burden off of Roy with Miller helping out in those critical moments. Liking this deal a lot better now.

NBA sixth man of the year NugzFan's Avatar

We get a competent second unit. How many times did the fans get nervous when Blake and Roy went out and Sergio came in? Even with Bayless in the game it felt like it could make a turn for the worse. We can actually win games with our bench with Miller, now all we need is a good back up power forward.

Our second unit could be:

Andre Miller
    Rudy Fernandez
    Travis Outlaw
    David Lee
    Pryzbilla

That's a good starting 5 any where else.
    a nice 12th seed out east perhaps.

a lot of talk has been going on in local radio stations that Hinrich would be no better than Blake. So that given it's not an upgrade for me.
    Well, they were saying it on the radio, huh? That means it MUST be true. Let's take it as axiomatic and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton
    Well, they were saying it on the radio, huh? That means it MUST be true. Let's take it as axiomatic and go from there.

Lot's of discussions and days of radio. Anyway, it's just a source I've been studying this summer and pointed it out. But yeah, I'm more of a believer like you until I've actually seen him play with the team. Pretty excited to see what Miller brings to the table.

NBA Finals

Miller didnt think Phili's offer was fair

Andre Miller weighed in on his decision to sign with the Trail Blazers in an interview with the Philadelphia Daily News.

Miller signed a two-year deal with Portland worth $14 million with a team option for a third season.

"I had to weigh my options," the point guard said of leaving the 76ers. "The offer they threw out there, I didn't feel was fair for me."

Philadelphia didn't have much interest in signing Miller for longer than a one-year deal at the mid-level exception of $5.8 million.

"It was a tough situation [with the Sixers] due to the market. Philadelphia had to make some decisions and they stuck with their decision ... I accomplished my goals while I was there, to help the team get better, get to the playoffs," Miller added.

Magic Johnson

We get a competent second unit. How many times did the fans get nervous when Blake and Roy went out and Sergio came in? Even with Bayless in the game it felt like it could make a turn for the worse. We can actually win games with our bench with Miller, now all we need is a good back up power forward.

Our second unit could be:

Andre Miller
    Rudy Fernandez
    Travis Outlaw
    David Lee
    Pryzbilla

That's a good starting 5 any where else.
    How would you go about acquiring David Lee?

I said trade Outlaw and Bayless...I don't know who RoseCity07 traded because NY won't take only Bayless for David Lee.

So it should look like this...

Steve Blake/Patrick Mills
    Rudy Fernandez
    Nicolas Batum/Dante Cunningham
    David Lee/Jeff Pendergraph
    Greg Oden

So is Batum a backup 3 or 4?

Decent playground baller tedloc's Avatar

it's gonna be a pure lob fest in portland

miller to rudy
    miller to roy
    miller to oden

get ready it's gonna be fun to watch

Local High School Star John Smith's Avatar

Miller is alright but nothing that great. How soon everybody forgets about the rookie Derrick Rose breaking his ankles and then dominating him on a block during a fast break.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEL3ZkXpl2E

Get over Andre Miller...he's old and not that good.