Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: MJ was normally the primary defender on opponent's best wing, not Pippen

Often times, IT DIDN'T matter when it came to MJ and Pip. Both could defend PG, SG, and SF great. BUT Pip could check the PF's as well. Something MJ couldn't really do. I think People forget that Pip was a LONG 6'8 and 225 pounds. And Pip was a freakish athlete to boot. So overall, I would say Pip was the slightly better defender due to the size and versatility. It's A LOT MORE RARE to find guys who can defend PG to PF. When it comes to defending PG to SF well (while very impressive), u can find several more guys who can do that.

Default Re: MJ was normally the primary defender on opponent's best wing, not Pippen

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    Often times, IT DIDN'T matter when it came to MJ and Pip. Both could defend PG, SG, and SF great. BUT Pip could check the PF's as well. Something MJ couldn't really do. I think People forget that Pip was a LONG 6'8 and 225 pounds. And Pip was a freakish athlete to boot. So overall, I would say Pip was the slightly better defender due to the size and versatility. It's A LOT MORE RARE to find guys who can defend PG to PF. When it comes to defending PG to SF well (while very impressive), u can find several more guys who can do that.
    Exactly. OP and his minions seem to have an issue deferring to a better player at certain aspects. Nobody is saying Jordan wasn't an all world defender. Pippen just happens to be better which has no shame in it. Accept it and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    Exactly. OP and his minions seem to have an issue deferring to a better player at certain aspects. Nobody is saying Jordan wasn't an all world defender. Pippen just happens to be better which has no shame in it. Accept it and move on.
    Better at what? Defense isn't just one simple definition. There are aspects to it. Like I said, Pip being taller, longer and heavier meant he could guard bigger players.

But MJ had Pip in foot speed, lateral mobility, ability to keep his man in front of him better, quicker at jumping passing lanes, was the better shot blocker in his prime (look it up), better at generating steals, amazing weakside defender and was the best ever at turning defense into instant offense.

You call MJ fans closed minded but what about YOU? It's absolutely a legit argument to entertain the notion that MJ was just as good a defender as Pip. Maybe not as versatile. So many greats from MJ's era said MJ was the best defender of his era, like Barkley, Ainge, Magic, etc. It goes on and on. They just blowing up smoke? No, they saw the IMPACT he had.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    Jordan was primary defender on:

Magic Johnson - 1991 Finals (43% FG)
    Clyde Drexler - 1992 Finals (42%)
    Reggie Miller - 1998 ECF (42%)
    Isiah Thomas - 1988 and 1989 Playoffs (35%)
    Gary Payton - 1996 Finals (Gm 3 and Gm 5... 43%)

Pippen was primary defender on:

Penny 1996 ECF (25 ppg on 47%)

Jordan guarded Penny in that series too and locked him down - Penny scored a total of 1 point on Jordan the entire series.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    Better at what? Defense isn't just one simple definition. There are aspects to it. Like I said, Pip being taller, longer and heavier meant he could guard bigger players.

But MJ had Pip in foot speed, lateral mobility, ability to keep his man in front of him better, quicker at jumping passing lanes, was the better shot blocker in his prime (look it up), better at generating steals, amazing weakside defender and was the best ever at turning defense into instant offense.

You call MJ fans closed minded but what about YOU? It's absolutely a legit argument to entertain the notion that MJ was just as good a defender as Pip. Maybe not as versatile. So many greats from MJ's era said MJ was the best defender of his era, like Barkley, Ainge, Magic, etc. It goes on and on. They just blowing up smoke? No, they saw the IMPACT he had.
    Scottie Pippen is the greatest help/team defender of all time. I actually agree Jordan was better one on one, but that's because he was quicker and more nimble which made it easier for him to stay with other wings. Scottie was better at defending PG's though as his length really closed them off and disrupted what they wanted to do. The Bulls replaced 2 out of 3 of their best defenders (Jordan and Grant) with Pete Myers and Toni Kukoc in 95 and were 2nd in defense...why? Because of Scottie Pippen and his all time great help defense. When I said he was defending 3 or players every possession I was talking about this season because he was and he had to. He had to be everywhere and had big man like impact defensively that season (and in 94)...Jordan was never as dominant as Pippen was in 94 and especially 95 defensively.

It also boils down to consistency...Pippen was always 100% full on defensive effort for however many mins he played...Jordan wasn't. You can bring up that he was expending more energy offensively and that's true, but were just talking about defense here and consistency matters. Pippen was more consistent and that's just a fact. They even used to say in 4th quarters in 95 how exhausted he looked out there because of how much energy he was expending defensively...how many superstars you ever heard that said about? Like those quotes said...Maybe Jordan was better for 3 mins if he was fully engaged...but there are lot more than 3 mins in a game and he took a lot more breaks than Scottie ever did. Either way I don't agree with that...Jordan doesn't have one season where he was as dominant as Pippen was in 94 and 95.

Local High School Star Stringer Bell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie43
    I remember Reggie Miller having Ron Harper as his primary defender in 1998 but it doesnt suit your agenda so it might not be true
    I remember Harper being given a lot of tough defensive assignments during the 2nd Bull 3-peat. He was a very good defender, adapted nicely from a 20 PPG player to a defensive role player after the knee injury.

I remember Pippen playing a lot of D on Mark Jackson to disrupt flow of the Pacer offense.

Local High School Star Stringer Bell's Avatar

[QUOTE=bond10]MJ was the better man defender:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...9&postcount=76

Johnny Bach:

[I]Who was the better defender? Pippen was one of the best and most gifted defenders of all time. But MJ was the better defender. Michael could shut down anyone in the world for a 3 minute span. The best he

I rule the local playground

Just watched the first quarter of Game 7 of the ECF from 1998. Jordan was on Miller three times in that quarter, twice from transition. Spent more time defending either Jackson or Mullin.

"3 is greater than 2" CuterThanRubio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer Bell
    This Mugsy Bogues story is BS. For one, the series only went 4 games, Chicago won 3-1.

I've watched that 4th game and there's no series down the end where Bogues misses any jumpers. Jordan got away with a foul at the last second and the Bulls wrapped it up in 4 in Chicago. Game 5 would have been in Charlotte.

Also, Bogues made it through all these different levels of basketball, in addition to growing up in violent surroundings, behind really short. Does anyone really think he had NOT been picked on and made fun of countless times for being short before he played against Michael Jordan?
    Typical.

Jordan fans love living fantasies instead of reality.

Muggsy's shooting numbers improved a couple seasons later, including a career best in 3pt shooting, that story is completely false.

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy Pratt
    Just watched the first quarter of Game 7 of the ECF from 1998. Jordan was on Miller three times in that quarter, twice from transition. Spent more time defending either Jackson or Mullin.
    I believe the switch was made at halftime.

physically speaking it was pipp. mentally it was mike.

but both ways, it wasn't by much.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by diamenz

physically speaking it was pipp. mentally it was mike.

[COLOR="Red"]but both ways, it wasn't by much.[/COLOR]
    Exactly - MJ played [COLOR="Navy"]Pippen-level defense[/COLOR], while also scoring at least 10 ppg more than Pippen for every playoff series of their careers, AND leading the team in assist percentage for both 3-peats:

Assist Percentage 1991-1993 Playoffs:

Jordan: [COLOR="Red"]31.1%[/COLOR]
    Pippen: [COLOR="Red"]23.3%[/COLOR]

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...yoffs_advanced

Assist Percentage 1996-1998 Playoffs:

Jordan: [COLOR="Red"]22.3%[/COLOR]
    Pippen: [COLOR="Red"]22.0%[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    Exactly - MJ played [COLOR="Navy"]Pippen-level defense[/COLOR], while also scoring at least 10 ppg more than Pippen for every playoff series of their careers, AND leading the team in assist percentage for both 3-peats:

Assist Percentage 1991-1993 Playoffs:

Jordan: [COLOR="Red"]31.1%[/COLOR]
    Pippen: [COLOR="Red"]23.3%[/COLOR]

Assist Percentage 1996-1998 Playoffs:

Jordan: [COLOR="Red"]22.3%[/COLOR]
    Pippen: [COLOR="Red"]22.0%[/COLOR]

Who led the Bulls in playoff assists and apg in 1992, 1996, and 1998?

To go along with his all time great defense, Pippen was the top playmaker for 3 championship runs. Legendary player.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid

Sorry, but I'll take personal experience, eye test, and testimonial of NBA Players and coaches anyday
    Do you expect teammates or former players to trash Pippen???.. Of course not - when a reporter asks about Pippen, they're going to say good things like he was a good defender, just like they said MJ was a good defender - it's no big deal.

In Pippen's case, people tend to focus exclusively on his defense since his offense was overshadowed by the GOAT, who scored at least 10 ppg more than Pippen for every playoff series of their careers AND led the team in passing (MJ led Bulls in assist % for both 3-peats) - no WONDER people focus on Pippen's defense more.

Last edited by 3ball; 04-03-2016 at 05:17 PM.

Pippen basically covered MJ on the defensive end. It's a known FACT.