Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Laker News: Lakers may not sign any free agents in 2014

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...ee-agency-move

The Lakers are continuing on their aimless ways with Mitch Kupchak now saying that the Lakers may hold onto their cap space and not use it in 2014 to sign anyone....or any MAX guy that is.

This is very puzzling in many ways; Why wouldn't they dump Pau for Bynum then waive him to put the team under the cap this year and then next season would give them 2 straight years under, freeing them from all the over cap repeat offender penalties?
    If you are not going to sign players then why get a new coach? Therefore we can now expect another year of 'Antoni ball next season.....this is even worse because we don't have our draft pick in 2015

I get the feeling that my Raiders will be title contenders before Jimmy gets the Lakers back to prominence, much less a title.
    Kobe cannot be happy with all this talk.

Keep speeding toward that Iceberg Jimmy.....you can go right through it, it's only ice

Default Re: Lakers may not sign any free agents in 2014

Other than Melo, who is worth a max contract in the 2014 offseason? Unless Lebron decides to be a FA, who is the star player we could go for this offseason? Not too many options. It sucks for Kobe and all of us fans, but be realistic.

NBA lottery pick Lakers_Kobe_Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DKLaker

The Lakers are continuing on their aimless ways with Mitch Kupchak now saying that the Lakers may hold onto their cap space and not use it in 2014 to sign anyone....or any MAX guy that is.

This is very puzzling in many ways; Why wouldn't they dump Pau for Bynum then waive him to put the team under the cap this year and then next season would give them 2 straight years under, freeing them from all the over cap repeat offender penalties?
    If you are not going to sign players then why get a new coach? Therefore we can now expect another year of 'Antoni ball next season.....this is even worse because we don't have our draft pick in 2015

I get the feeling that my Raiders will be title contenders before Jimmy gets the Lakers back to prominence, much less a title.

Keep speeding toward that Iceberg Jimmy.....you can go right through it, it's only ice
    I would not give Max to even Melo...he is 30 and towards the end...I would not spend money like the Mavs on Calderon, Monta Ellis, Dalembert, brandon wright...

prefer to wait a year when you have LMA, Love, Rondo, Marc Gasol and some others in free agency...

I would prefer them to sign bledsoe, hayward, Lance Stephonson as stepping stones...

the article says could...never said he is adamant about NOT signing in 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers_Kobe_Fan
    I would not give Max to even Melo...he is 30 and towards the end...I would not spend money like the Mavs on Calderon, Monta Ellis, Dalembert, brandon wright...

prefer to wait a year when you have LMA, Love, Rondo, Marc Gasol and some others in free agency...

I would prefer them to sign bledsoe, hayward, Lance Stephonson as stepping stones...

the article says could...never said he is adamant about NOT signing in 2014
    I did use the words "may hold onto their cap space" I didn't say WILL for that very reason.

I don't get why they feel they should even say anything at all on the subject.........what's the point???

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Lakers91's Avatar

Bledsoe would be a great get, finally fix some point guard issues after so long but the Suns have already said they will match any offer, I wouldn't mind Melo but he certainly isn't the most I suppose all around player with some of his defensive issues and shot selection but maybe that's due to his teammates at the moment who knows but I don't consider Melo a savoir he's not the 25 year old superstar he's going to be soon on the wrong side of 30. If they sign Melo with Kobe's rather large deal they may not have enough room to sign Love the year after unfortunately and I think 2015 as I've said before will be the biggest one. Try and sign a few pieces next year maybe another average season but then try and get the likes of that are available Love, Aldridge, Rondo, Dragic even for a decent point guard spot if they don't get something beforehand I quite like him as a point guard not the best obviously but solid, Ellis I believe also comes off he just needs solid coaching because he's looked overall pretty good for the Mavs, at small forward have potentially Jeff Green or Wilson Chandler possibly available, Affalo's looked great this year could be available if he leaves the Magic, I believe Hibbert and Brook Lopez are available assuming the list I've got is up to date, has a lot of good players from most positions for 2015, who knows how many will be able to afford maybe 2-3 maybe none depending on financial demands and other contracts, but if they wait until 2015 I don't think it's the worst move, I'd like something for 2014's off season but outside of Melo there isn't that much that is realistic or a top caliber player which Melo despite his flaws is a top caliber player for the most part. I don't think it's the worst move to just wait until 2015, it's not what most will want to hear because of the desire for an immediate solution but it's not the worst option to just wait.

I did use the words "may hold onto their cap space" I didn't say WILL for that very reason.

I don't get why they feel they should even say anything at all on the subject.........what's the point???
    Try and calm fans I suppose, either so they can not be disappointed if nothing happens or that if they try to sign someone and fail they can just fall back on "well we did warn you we'd preserve space until 2015 so it's not like we went against our word". I see it as just preventing disappointment in case nothing happens/no one major signs, damage control in a way in that scenario and not portraying a negative image of the front office, to not get hopes up and avoid having it blow back on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers91
    Try and calm fans I suppose, either so they can not be disappointed if nothing happens or that if they try to sign someone and fail they can just fall back on "well we did warn you we'd preserve space until 2015 so it's not like we went against our word". I see it as just preventing disappointment in case nothing happens/no one major signs, damage control in a way in that scenario and not portraying a negative image of the front office, to not get hopes up and avoid having it blow back on them.
    That's a very cowardly position for a front office to take, and it could backfire on them with people deciding to bail on season tickets knowing that they are all but guaranteed another bust season. I have been LMAO at the Lakers, pathetic and desperate marketing campaigns on the radio, reminding people about their past glory while not talking about the present or future......it's maybe even worse than the OLD Clippers advertising where they only mentioned the visiting teams not their own Give it time and we may be doing that too

Now....given their current stance, does anyone think we can bring in a coach after this season who is willing to coach a junk team? Does it even make sense to try to hire a new coach with a bad roster....can we even attract even lower FA's with 'Antoni in charge....definitely not a center.
    We have painted ourselves into a corner and I don't think many people realize it yet. Of course this would be a brighter outlook if we still had our 2015 draft pick.

You know we REALLY need to get under the cap THIS SEASON!!!!

Home of the 16

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't like Kevin Love. I've only seen him play like 15 times the whole he's been in the league, & a couple of highlight films, & of course there are people saying that he's a stat padder. But I feel like, he's not a game changer -- he doesn't have that Duncan or KG effect on me, & I don't know why. & I don't know how much Kobe will have an impact on his game once he probably signs with the Lakers knowing that Kobe's declining in all sorts of levels. The Lakers does not need a superstar, they need TIER 1 or 2 PLAYERS to build around Kobe, & those stats that Kevin Love puts up will change once he become a Laker for some reason. I don't think he's a game changer. I hope I'm wrong, but for now, I'll stand on what I believe in.

In a couple of years, if the OKC won't win 1 ring, KD will go to Houston. So, wait for Russell Westbrook, & we'll see from there.

I hope the Lakers will work on their bench this upcoming offseason, move Jordan Hill to the bench if they ever get someone better than him. I'd like to have Robin Lopez just because of his height & what that carries over to the team.

1. Deron Williams Or Russell Westbrook | Nick Young or Farmar (If they find a way to play Nick Young at point.
    2. Kobe | Xavier Henry Or Nick Young
    3. Luol Deng | Trevor | 3a. Trevor | Wesley Johnson or Artest
    4. Pau | Glen Davis or Frye
    5. Robin Lopez | Jordan Hill

That's just my wishlist.

That's a very cowardly position for a front office to take, and it could backfire on them with people deciding to bail on season tickets knowing that they are all but guaranteed another bust season. I have been LMAO at the Lakers, pathetic and desperate marketing campaigns on the radio, reminding people about their past glory while not talking about the present or future......it's maybe even worse than the OLD Clippers advertising where they only mentioned the visiting teams not their own Give it time and we may be doing that too

Now....given their current stance, does anyone think we can bring in a coach after this season who is willing to coach a junk team? Does it even make sense to try to hire a new coach with a bad roster....can we even attract even lower FA's with 'Antoni in charge....definitely not a center.
    We have painted ourselves into a corner and I don't think many people realize it yet. Of course this would be a brighter outlook if we still had our 2015 draft pick.

You know we REALLY need to get under the cap THIS SEASON!!!!
    I would tend to agree but then again I am not in the front office, that is simply from my outside looking in perspective, if they don't sign any big free agents then they are to a degree preventing fan disappointment, had they promised to sign a massive star and then failed to do so they would look like fools (well more than they already do well some of them already do), it's not that they won't sign any free agents just more so in case they don't rather than they definitely won't it's just a way to cover themselves somewhat in case what fans are expecting doesn't come to fruition.

It's a little too total panic in the last paragraph for me hah, at least I hope not but even I will admit it isn't the best position that the team has got into, the large contract given to Kobe hasn't helped matters very much, I don't think D'Antoni really can attract free agents big ones anyway but some of the lower players like Wes Johnson I think it was said they had joined partly because of D'Antoni's offense (who knows whether that's truth or just getting onto coach's good side), would be good to get a high draft pick this year that could certainly help matters, ideally Kobe to get back to full healthy, a free agent and then a draft prospect but that is the ideal scenario and they don't exactly happen. Even with a bad team for another year they need a coach that is an all round coach; preaches defense and can if not attract stars then at least not turn them away. At the end of the season ideally there would be only Kobe's contract remaining, Nash a great player but his body in my opinion has abandoned him and at his age never a good thing, I'd like the other role players back but ideally none on more than 2 million but the likes of Young, Meeks, Henry could get more on the free agent market.

Quote Originally Posted by $LakerGold
    I hope I'm wrong, but I don't like Kevin Love. I've only seen him play like 15 times the whole he's been in the league, & a couple of highlight films, & of course there are people saying that he's a stat padder. But I feel like, he's not a game changer -- he doesn't have that Duncan or KG effect on me, & I don't know why. & I don't know how much Kobe will have an impact on his game once he probably signs with the Lakers knowing that Kobe's declining in all sorts of levels. The Lakers does not need a superstar, they need TIER 1 or 2 PLAYERS to build around Kobe, & those stats that Kevin Love puts up will change once he become a Laker for some reason. I don't think he's a game changer. I hope I'm wrong, but for now, I'll stand on what I believe in.

In a couple of years, if the OKC won't win 1 ring, KD will go to Houston. So, wait for Russell Westbrook, & we'll see from there.

I hope the Lakers will work on their bench this upcoming offseason, move Jordan Hill to the bench if they ever get someone better than him. I'd like to have Robin Lopez just because of his height & what that carries over to the team.

1. Deron Williams Or Russell Westbrook | Nick Young or Farmar (If they find a way to play Nick Young at point.
    2. Kobe | Xavier Henry Or Nick Young
    3. Luol Deng | Trevor | 3a. Trevor | Wesley Johnson or Artest
    4. Pau | Glen Davis or Frye
    5. Robin Lopez | Jordan Hill

That's just my wishlist.
    Valid but I feel it's too risky to build around Kobe, Kobe in my opinion although it probably won't happen needs to be the one that another superstar is built around, Kobe can't carry a team anymore, even last year at 27 6 and 6 even with Kobe probably would have won a game or two but I still didn't see us getting past the Spurs and that was a potentially very talented team. My biggest problem with Love is his defense, his post defense at times really isn't that good, and Pekovic's defense is decent to good and that to a degree helps out Love a bit, but if he doesn't have another center who's physical or a bruiser like Pekovic then he could be exposed a fair bit on the defensive end. I suppose that's a slightly similar thing to signing Melo another question with him is his shot selection and defense (not exactly a coach he gets along with or the best one for him either). Love can be a bit of a stat padder but he is certainly a very talented and good player in my opinion, he's very versatile offensively, he's not the strongest player in the league albeit I certainly wouldn't call him weak just when it comes to being in the post he's not the strongest (not calling him weak though). He's one heck of a rebounder but I wouldn't want to have him trying to create his own shot all the time, he needs someone to for him I wouldn't want to rely on him to have to consistently which is why Rubio at times really helps him but they haven't produced that many wins sitting about .500 or so this year, there's been the argument throughout his career that he produces stats not wins, I'd certainly love him as a Laker though compared to some of the other options.

Default Re: Laker News: Lakers may not sign any free agents in 2014

my raiders will be a new team, entering a new era next season.

I'll like it in a sense, because it allows us to NET Lamarcus Aldridge, AND Lillard in 2015.

However, That means that we leave KB alone for a year.
    No bueno

Moves we need to make and get better in 2014 to get better.

Sorry nash, Stretch provision his ass.

Bring Kendal Marshall back. Develop him. Sign Farmar too. Blake, I like, but I'm not sure we will keep him. He's played well this year, but he was pretty much a failed experiment.

I like Marshall, because He's like a prime Steve Nash LITE. Who knows how good the kid will be. He was a lottery pick and was a stud in college, but MOST importantly, he realizes he has/d weaknesses. He plans/is working on them. He is very competitive, humble, etc. Kid can become/ has played better than you're average PG.

Keep him.

Marshall/Farmar/Min contract
    Kobe/Jodie
    WesJohnson/Nick Young (30 minutes a night)
    Pau(IF takes paycut)/Wes/Kelly
    Hill/Sacre/ Min contract

Maybe sign a strong player. Not sure who, someone who is a borderline star.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ(Mean John)
    my raiders will be a new team, entering a new era next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers91
    I would tend to agree but then again I am not in the front office, that is simply from my outside looking in perspective, if they don't sign any big free agents then they are to a degree preventing fan disappointment, had they promised to sign a massive star and then failed to do so they would look like fools (well more than they already do well some of them already do), it's not that they won't sign any free agents just more so in case they don't rather than they definitely won't it's just a way to cover themselves somewhat in case what fans are expecting doesn't come to fruition.

It's a little too total panic in the last paragraph for me hah, at least I hope not but even I will admit it isn't the best position that the team has got into, the large contract given to Kobe hasn't helped matters very much, I don't think D'Antoni really can attract free agents big ones anyway but some of the lower players like Wes Johnson I think it was said they had joined partly because of D'Antoni's offense (who knows whether that's truth or just getting onto coach's good side), would be good to get a high draft pick this year that could certainly help matters, ideally Kobe to get back to full healthy, a free agent and then a draft prospect but that is the ideal scenario and they don't exactly happen. Even with a bad team for another year they need a coach that is an all round coach; preaches defense and can if not attract stars then at least not turn them away. At the end of the season ideally there would be only Kobe's contract remaining, Nash a great player but his body in my opinion has abandoned him and at his age never a good thing, I'd like the other role players back but ideally none on more than 2 million but the likes of Young, Meeks, Henry could get more on the free agent market.

Here's part of the problem we have created.......would a real good coach take on this bad team next year and TRUST that Jimmy will make the right moves to get players the following season?
    We may find ourselves in a position that we need for player 1 to know that player 2 is coming before either will sign.

LG.......Kobe cannot carry this team and even a Kobe homer like me wouldn't build around him at this point in his career. I'm not doubting that Kobe can still play great.....but he's not a kid.