Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-23-2008, 08:03 PM   #1
the even bigger black guy
High School Varsity 6th Man

the even bigger black guy has decent reputation
Default Has Charles Barkley Jumped the Shark?

I'm sure we all loved Barkley in the beginning when he joined TNT because he brought something new, edgy, and idiotic. Has he just plain become annoying now? In my opinion, his act is tired now and as much as I loved him as a player and a personality, I don't get entertained by him any more. Do you still enjoy him on TNT?

Please no comments about the always eloquent and articulate Magic Johnson.
the even bigger black guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:04 PM   #2
w00terz
FACT

w00terz is considered somewhat coolw00terz is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Has Charles Barkley Jumped the Shark?

I've never liked Barkley, he is so full of himself. Plus, he continually bashes AI so I've grown to dislike him.
w00terz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:08 PM   #3
BIZARRO
Local High School Star

BIZARRO has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by the even bigger black guy
I'm sure we all loved Barkley in the beginning when he joined TNT because he brought something new, edgy, and idiotic. Has he just plain become annoying now? In my opinion, his act is tired now and as much as I loved him as a player and a personality, I don't get entertained by him any more. Do you still enjoy him on TNT?

I still enjoy him, but yes he has (not badly), just basically past his peak. Still great though.

Not his fault really. The bar was set high early by his "different from the norm commentating".

But it is inherently going to happen that the difference that made him so great will become stale when it becomes familiar.

Now, instead of his commentary flowing, I feel that the audience is trying to wait for him do something funny, and he feels it to, and it is forced and not as funny.

The only comment I will make about Magic is that I LOVE his commentary; he really has proven to be knowledgable in his analysis and he is entertaining in a serious way. Just very cool. I actually like listening to him more than Charles now, or at least as much.
BIZARRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:12 PM   #4
fos
It's not rebound-ball.

fos is a pretty well-respected posterfos is a pretty well-respected posterfos is a pretty well-respected posterfos is a pretty well-respected poster

Charles Barkley couldn't jump a shark... He couldn't jump a deck of cards for a a piece of cake.
fos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:14 PM   #5
iamgine

iamgine has a terrific reputationiamgine has a terrific reputationiamgine has a terrific reputationiamgine has a terrific reputationiamgine has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by the even bigger black guy

Well eventually anything will get tired if you're listening to it so often. For example, any song you play over and over again will eventually get boring.

However, new fans will still find Barkley very entertaining (or annoying as hell).
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:17 PM   #6
starface
Banned

starface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation here

i like magic as much as the next guy but come on now

the "always eloquent and articulate" magic johnson?????

he stumbles and sputters and stutters more than anyone else in the studio. his points are well taken but his verbiage is hardly something to aspire to.

not that its anything unusual or abnormal given his infrequent and sporadic appearances in front of the camera. it's something you get better at with consistency and he's only there once in a while. i doubt i could do any better in his position, so i'm not tryin to knock him, but the previous comments about him really arent accurate.

Last edited by starface : 03-23-2008 at 08:19 PM.
starface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:20 PM   #7
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

if you take anything he says seriously then he will bug.... i find him funny at best and don't take what he says as gospel...

that probably makes him the perfect politician...

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:27 PM   #8
ForceOfNature
In It to Win It

ForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputation

I like him, he's funny, he makes that the NBA on TNT great.
ForceOfNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:31 PM   #9
DuMa
Canned

DuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputation

everyone on TNT is great. best coverage team in the media.
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:32 PM   #10
BIZARRO
Local High School Star

BIZARRO has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by starface
i like magic as much as the next guy but come on now

the "always eloquent and articulate" magic johnson?????

he stumbles and sputters and stutters more than anyone else in the studio. his points are well taken but his verbiage is hardly something to aspire to.

I love Magic's commentary, but the quickest way to have people talk about Magic, is to say not to talk about Magic.

If Magic isn't mentioned here, nobody's probably gonna talk about Magic.

Everything said; TNT is still great.
Barkley/Magic equal great.
Jet/Ernie equal good.

Last edited by BIZARRO : 03-23-2008 at 08:34 PM.
BIZARRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:34 PM   #11
final.wrath
Banned

final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation

personally i think he's a bit arrogant and naive
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:35 PM   #12
DavidLeeforMVP
ban me

DavidLeeforMVP has an OK reputation so far

barkley is maybe the coolest mofo that ever came to the nba
DavidLeeforMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:47 PM   #13
KenneBell
What set you claim?

KenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation here

Hell no. Charles is hilarious on an almost nightly basis. Besides, he went to Auburn and I go to Auburn, so I have no choice but to support him.
KenneBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:49 PM   #14
guy
Very good NBA starter

guy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation here

I still think he's funny. Maybe some of you have felt he's not as funny as before after the last telecast, which shouldn't be a coincidence since Kenny wasn't there. Charles isn't the only funny one on the show, I think Kenny and Ernie are hilarious as well. Anyway, I don't think he's any smarter or dumber then the average commentator, but I do feel he does provide good insight, even though it might not be perfect. I mean who better for that job then players/coaches, who actually have had first hand experience?
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: