Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: New Bob Cousy video with all footage I've got:

Good shit yet again man

Cousy could really pass that rock, kept it on a string too... Reckon he'd be something like Steve Nash without the great J, nowadays, better inside moves though.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
    Good shit yet again man

Cousy could really pass that rock, kept it on a string too... Reckon he'd be something like Steve Nash without the great J, nowadays, better inside moves though.
    he couldn't even use his offhand and he'd be like steve nash ?
    how would he even get inside with that ballhandling? it's not like he'd be posting up to get the ball
    I'll not even continue, you are beyond hope. god bless and stay safe.

If he were playing today he'd adapt his game accordingly. The skills were obviously there. I have no doubt he'd be an elite PG.

Modern opponent: "Cousy you can't hack it today we can cross you up we got handles"

*Cousy watches cross-over realizes smothering the ball during a dribble is not a turnover anymore

*Cousy does a wrap around behind the back crossover and whips blind lob to the center for a stuff

Crowd has unanimous heart attack. CouSanity begins.

Good college starter Relinquish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Efficiency was as important as anytime, you certainly wanted the ball to go in, it was probably just more difficult to obtain due to different defensive and offensive rules.
    Don't forget that back then if a player was fouled in the act of shooting, the shot still counted in the stats even if it was missed.

Imagine this guy against Westbrook
    He would be eaten alive. Most of his "no look" passes are so predictable that wouldn't work in the modern era.

This is great, called Houdini of the hardwood for a good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by LongLiveTheKing
    He would be eaten alive. Most of his "no look" passes are so predictable that wouldn't work in the modern era.
    Yeah it's so easy to read his pass. You know, based on how he's never looking at his targets... Just guard all the players he's not looking at, simple

Quote Originally Posted by swagga
    he couldn't even use his offhand and he'd be like steve nash ?
    how would he even get inside with that ballhandling? it's not like he'd be posting up to get the ball
    I'll not even continue, you are beyond hope. god bless and stay safe.

All I'm watching is Cousy keeping that ball on a string (regardless of "style") and throwing some crazy passes, really knowing how to run the team, also making some great layups and hook-shots...

You think that Bob wouldn't also be a master with the basketball if he was playing under much "looser" rules? Think he wouldn't pull some sick crossovers and whatnot if carrying/palming/travelling wasn't called nearly as much?

I've seen displays by little kids in the 60's showing some great ball-handling skills including all the flashy stuff you'd love to see (mostly illegal stuff at that time).
    You had the Globe Trotters showing some crazy dribbling... I don't know why some of those players weren't in the NBA winning MVP's/rings.
    Pistol Pete Maravich was always pulling some crazy shit with the basketball, stuff that later became "signature" moves for (recent) players, even some shit that was never duplicated afterwards (with much stricter rules), while being also 6'6, a nice athlete and a great shooter/scorer... and he was never considered better than someone like Jerry West, never came close to accomplish as much.

On the other hand, you "time-transport" AI to the 60's and he's getting called for a violation 9 times out of 10... For example.

Go show your ignorance somewhere else pls

Quote Originally Posted by LongLiveTheKing
    Just imagine a "short" white dude guarding the likes of Westbrook... Imagine a dude like that playing in this era

Oh, wait...

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by GrapeApe
    If he were playing today he'd adapt his game accordingly. The skills were obviously there. I have no doubt he'd be an elite PG.
    Some children don't seem to understand this basic logic. "But, but, he can't use his off hand"!

There's a difference between NOT being able to use your off hand and playing in an early era where crossovers and all the carrying and palming of today was not accepted/not a part of the game.

You look at a guy and say yes he has great skill or he doesn't and obviously Cousy has a great feel for the game and great passing ability..

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

in cousy's era, defenders were allowed to camp in the paint, which depressed FG%.

let's not forget that there was no soft ass rule requiring defenders in the paint to stay within armslength of their man - that rule was specifically intended to prevent paint-camping, which was the NBA's #1 concern when they were developing new defensive rules in the early 2000's.

it's amazing that no one gives today's rules (that ban paint-camping) any credit for existing, or being implemented specifically to make it softer in the paint - the NBA has said that is why they implemented the rule - to open up the game and make it easier on offense... it's not debateable.
    Last edited by 3ball; 02-04-2015 at 08:48 PM.