Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: I Remember Watching George Mikan Play Live

He was Alexis Ajinca 2.0 on his best day. True GOAT.

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck

several good bits in there

Quote Originally Posted by SexSymbol
    Your joke is bad and you should feel bad.
    If I wanted to kill myself, I'd jump from your ego down to your IQ

You really think what you just posted was funny or clever? Corny, cornier, corniest.. I cringed just reading your attempt at something witty. Please, stop, for the sake of ISH, and really, mankind.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater

You really think what you just posted was funny or clever? Corny, cornier, corniest.. I cringed just reading your attempt at something witty. Please, stop, for the sake of ISH, and really, mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFreeman
    and the love continues

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater

Dat ETHER

Must be break time for Silk right now.

Break time is over...time to deal with reality now.

Get back to flippin them burgers.

Number 99 will always be in out hearts.

Kobe= 1st round loser secund2nun's Avatar

:

I am just too tired to do an extensive reply to these OBVIOUS attempts at disparaging Mikan (and the players of his era, and beyond.)

But, I wonder how many here would laugh at me suggesting that Babe Ruth, the rotund, chicken-legged Ruth, being a GREAT player in TODAY's game? Just follow the career path of Ted Williams, and then later Willie Mays and Henry Aaron, and the greats who played with them, and after them.

Or Mickey Mantle, the 5-11, 190 lb, hard drinking Mantle who did not take care of his body because he figured he was going to die young, anyway...being one of the, if not THE most powerful hitter in TODAY's game?

Or linking pitchers like Koufax, Marichal, and Gibson, thru the 27 year domination of Nolan Ryan, who was still throwing no-hitters in the 90's?

Or Jim Brown, he of the 50's and 60's, being among the BEST backs, and quite likely THE best back, of THIS era. Or a prime Bob Hayes still being the most explosive player who has ever played in the NFL. Or backs like OJ, then Hershel, and then Bo, being very bit as talented, if not moreso, than Adrian Peterson.

We have enough "bridges" in the NBA to know that the best players of the 60's were the equals of the best players of the 70's, who were the equals of the best players of the 80's, who were the equals of the best players of the 90's, who were equals to the best players of the 00's, and who are, or would be the equals of the best players of the CURRENT era. Hell, just look at Tim Duncan forcryingoutloud.

And those that scoff at the "short, non-athletic", and "unskilled" players of the 50's, 60's, and 70's, need to take a close look at what players like Kevin Love, Steve Nash, Andrew Bogut, and Ricky Rubio have accomplished in THIS era.

So, go ahead an mock Mikan, and his peers, and the players that would follow. But keep in mind that Kevin Love was running away with a rebounding title; Steve Nash was winning TWO MVPs, and leading the league in assists, at age 37; that the cement-shoed Bogut was leading the league in bpg; and that Rubio is an even worse shooter than Cousy was. Transport those guys back to the 60's, and they likely would not have been considered Top-10 players.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    Quite a spectacle to behold. Games only cost a nickel to get into. Blacks still weren't allowed in the building. Back when the actual basketball was still a square. I saw him light up opposing 6'5 big men with ease. His scorching sub 40% shooting was simply to much for the rest of he league. He switched to dribbling with his left hand at one point and a spectator's head actually exploded. They let me in the locker room during half time to get his autograph. The man was a giant. Tall, slender, with just the right amount of Non-existent muscle tone. He put down his scotch and cigarette, extended his pasty white arm and told me something I will never forget. "Son, this can be you one day. Never give up on dreams and you can be anything you want. But watch where you step, I have to mop the floors when this game ends". George Mikan: A Legend.
    Guys, have a sense of humor. It's pretty funny

Banned

SilkktheComedian

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    I am just too tired to do an extensive reply to these OBVIOUS attempts at disparaging Mikan (and the players of his era, and beyond.)

But, I wonder how many here would laugh at me suggesting that Babe Ruth, the rotund, chicken-legged Ruth, being a GREAT player in TODAY's game? Just follow the career path of Ted Williams, and then later Willie Mays and Henry Aaron, and the greats who played with them, and after them.

Or Mickey Mantle, the 5-11, 190 lb, hard drinking Mantle who did not take care of his body because he figured he was going to die young, anyway...being one of the, if not THE most powerful hitter in TODAY's game?

Or linking pitchers like Koufax, Marichal, and Gibson, thru the 27 year domination of Nolan Ryan, who was still throwing no-hitters in the 90's?

Or Jim Brown, he of the 50's and 60's, being among the BEST backs, and quite likely THE best back, of THIS era. Or a prime Bob Hayes still being the most explosive player who has ever played in the NFL. Or backs like OJ, then Hershel, and then Bo, being very bit as talented, if not moreso, than Adrian Peterson.

We have enough "bridges" in the NBA to know that the best players of the 60's were the equals of the best players of the 70's, who were the equals of the best players of the 80's, who were the equals of the best players of the 90's, who were equals to the best players of the 00's, and who are, or would be the equals of the best players of the CURRENT era. Hell, just look at Tim Duncan forcryingoutloud.

And those that scoff at the "short, non-athletic", and "unskilled" players of the 50's, 60's, and 70's, need to take a close look at what players like Kevin Love, Steve Nash, Andrew Bogut, and Ricky Rubio have accomplished in THIS era.

So, go ahead an mock Mikan, and his peers, and the players that would follow. But keep in mind that Kevin Love was running away with a rebounding title; Steve Nash was winning TWO MVPs, and leading the league in assists, at age 37; that the cement-shoed Bogut was leading the league in bpg; and that Rubio is an even worse shooter than Cousy was. Transport those guys back to the 60's, and they likely would not have been considered Top-10 players.

Mikan>Wilt
    [QUOTE=Deuce Bigalow]Mikan: