Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #16
Unstoppabull
High School Varsity 12th Man

Default Re: Job Hunting Tips?

Guess my best bet is to go apeshit on my job search lol.

Problem is to get a job you need experience, and to get experience, you need a job. Great...

Thanks guys
Unstoppabull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:38 PM   #17
DMV2
NBA Stats Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstoppabull
I've applied for 5 yesterday and still haven't gotten a single call back yet.
You don't wait for them to call you, you call them for an update. Or better yet, show up and ask them. It shows employers you really really want that job. Not only that but human resources personnel are busy that sometimes they may misfile your application or "forgot" to contact you, so it's always a good idea to ask for a follow up update on your application.

Gotta find out who and when the right time to call or show up though. Don't want to annoy them.
DMV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:50 PM   #18
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Quote:
Guess my best bet is to go apeshit on my job search lol.

Problem is to get a job you need experience, and to get experience, you need a job. Great...

Thanks guys

Right. It's honest to god the most frustrating catch 22 in the world. Fresh out of college I looked for jobs in my field and everybody wanted 5-10 years experience, but obviously you cant start with 5 years of experience and I can't do 3-4 years of entry level work with these damn student loans

I feel for you. It's rough. Just get your foot in the door somewhere and the pieces fall where they belong eventually.
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:43 PM   #19
Ol Dirty Bastard
Local High School Star

If possible apply in person, well dressed with positive attitude and with cover letter.

the cover letter should be personalized for that specific job, meaning not some generic shit you could send to any employer.

if you need to have experience, look up places for internships, volunteer or freelance work

another idea is getting in touch with a temp agency, but look into a good reliable one. If you can find an agency that specializes in your field, try to set up an interview with them.

floss your teeth and trim yo' nose hairs before interviews. Also don't wear some baggy as clothes in your interview, looking like you been watching that BET/MTV ig'nor'ant shit B. Get fitted and dress slim yo,' HR hoes don't want no ghetto looking muh****a applying at they place son.
Sum of it, white socks aint a good look B.

don't give up hope, the job will come if you work hard for it.

source: been there, done that.
Ol Dirty Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:49 PM   #20
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Start your own business. Than you will always have a job.

L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:17 AM   #21
Unstoppabull

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
Right. It's honest to god the most frustrating catch 22 in the world. Fresh out of college I looked for jobs in my field and everybody wanted 5-10 years experience, but obviously you cant start with 5 years of experience and I can't do 3-4 years of entry level work with these damn student loans

I feel for you. It's rough. Just get your foot in the door somewhere and the pieces fall where they belong eventually.
That's why you go for internships while you're still in school. In general Internships should be easier to find than actual full time jobs, and their expectations aren't unreasonable.

Anyways thanks man. Just got 2 interviews. Both were internships. One of them had a phone interview first, then followed by a in person interview. They liked me, and I thought the interviews went pretty well. I just sent out a thank you letter, hard copy and email version.

So how long until you follow up after an interview?

Thanks again, B-Low.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:10 AM   #22
Iceberg Slim
KID CLUTCH

Quote:
What are some advice for job hunting? I've applied for 5 yesterday and still haven't gotten a single call back yet. How do you look for a job?

Usually do you do job searches online, or do you walk in and apply in person? Which method would be more effective?

Just curious. Thanks in advance.

if your a student try the job fairs. You have to be pretty chatty and have lots of questions. Use indeed.com and search internship...some will come up

IF you have experience already then make sure to tailor your resume to each job
Iceberg Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:12 AM   #23
Iceberg Slim
KID CLUTCH

also once you get a job make sure you network and try to see if there's growth. It's important to always keep your options open. These days you make over 10k when you change jobs/companies.
Iceberg Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #24
Unstoppabull

Ok I had the interview a week ago. Followed up immediately with a thank you email and mailed a thank you letter shortly. It's been a week now, still no news. I'd much rather hear the rejection than get no response at all. Should I make a phone call and follow up?

The interviewer wasn't available on the phone, should I leave a voicemail?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: