Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: KObe Bryant vs. Tim Duncan 1 on 1

Quote Originally Posted by HOoopCityJones
    You mean other than the 1,000 times Kobe's dunked it down his throat in the paint when he and Robinson were supposed to be above average rim protectors? Then no , but Kobe has always been Duncan's kryptonite more so than Shaq ever was.
    Oh shit, so they were matched up against one another from the top of the key, right? Like they were playing one another 1v1? So nothing came off of a screen, pass, or Kobe blowing past his man and catching Duncan in a bad position? Cool.

NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 24-Inch_Chrome
    Oh shit, so they were matched up against one another from the top of the key, right? Like they were playing one another 1v1? So nothing came off of a screen, pass, or Kobe blowing past his man and catching Duncan in a bad position? Cool.
    Find another strawman, I fully acknowledged they didn't stick each other.

You should be getting on OP who made this lame thread in the first place , but if ni99as wanna reach I'm always happy to oblige.

Banned

Find another strawman, I fully acknowledge they didn't stick each other.

You should be getting on OP who made this lame thread in the first place , but if ni99as wanna reach I'm always happy to oblige.
    Duncan > Kobe though.

So you're admitting that they're not guarding one another but you're trying to use dunks that obviously aren't coming from a 1v1 match-up as evidence that Kobe could beat Duncan in a 1v1? Cool.

A 5 inch height advantage for Duncan is going to be deciding factor 9/10 times. Kobe isn't going to dunk every time, if he can manage it at all in a legitimate 1v1 situation, and as soon as he misses a shot he's getting backed down and lit up for the remainder of the game.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    2 random, but on topic points-

1) This thread reminded me of that Sprite Commercial from '98

2) The NBA needs to make a 1 on 1 tournament at the ASG weekend. Too bad competition is dead in the league. Bron would just use the opportunity as a recruiting tool.

This would be great but as soon as someone gets hurt there will be multiple different parties flipping an absolute shit about it. There's just too much money tied up in players these days for anyone to want to take that risk.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Duncan is nowhere near the list of best all time offensive big men
    Timmy can score in the post with the best of them all time and had an automatic mid range jumper off the glass.

and kobe is a midrange player first and foremost who has torched duncan's help defense. Comparison is retOrded
    Bean could take all the mid range shots his heart desired, but prime Duncan would be mobile enough to keep him in front of him and would contest every shot he took inside. And defensively... fuhgettaboutit... how the f*ck would Bean stop him from scoring?

Great big man beats a great smaller man. Shaq would beast on virtually every player ever 1 on 1.

This would be great but as soon as someone gets hurt there will be multiple different parties flipping an absolute shit about it. There's just too much money tied up in players these days for anyone to want to take that risk.
    They can also get hurt playing in the ASG or skills competition or dunk contest.

Quote Originally Posted by 24-Inch_Chrome
    Duncan > Kobe though.

So you're admitting that they're not guarding one another but you're trying to use dunks that obviously aren't coming from a 1v1 match-up as evidence that Kobe could beat Duncan in a 1v1? Cool.

A 5 inch height advantage for Duncan is going to be deciding factor 9/10 times. Kobe isn't going to dunk every time, if he can manage it at all in a legitimate 1v1 situation, and as soon as he misses a shot he's getting backed down and lit up for the remainder of the game.

Boiled down.

Kobe > Duncan

Kobe is the Spurs Killer With and without Shaq.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Timmy can score in the post with the best of them all time and had an automatic mid range jumper off the glass.

Bean could take all the mid range shots his heart desired, but prime Duncan would be mobile enough to keep him in front of him and would contest every shot he took inside. And defensively... fuhgettaboutit... how the f*ck would Bean stop him from scoring?

Great big man beats a great smaller man. Shaq would beast on virtually every player ever 1 on 1.

They can also get hurt playing in the ASG or skills competition or dunk contest.
    Game starts from top of the key.. not the block. Duncan couldnot contest a midrange effectively without giving up a drive. He could barely stop kobe with atg perimeter man defense on kobe in the form of bowen.. In this situation kobe would basically be getting free throws.

It's be like saying shaq could beat mj easily 1v1.. just back him down once he got the ball and it's a dunk fest . imagine the ragdolling.. lol

Thing is mj would just drill jumpers til he started biting and then would go around. Help defense =/= man defense.. big men would get manipulated and dominated by skilled midrange players 1v1

NBA Superstar

Boiled down.

Kobe > Duncan

Kobe is the Spurs Killer With and without Shaq.
    Boiled down.

Duncan > Kobe

See how easy that was?

Game starts from top of the key.. not the block. Duncan couldnot contest a midrange effectively without giving up a drive. He could barely stop kobe with atg perimeter man defense on kobe in the form of bowen.. In this situation kobe would basically be getting free throws.

It's be like saying shaq could beat mj easily 1v1.. just back him down once he got the ball and it's a dunk fest . imagine the ragdolling.. lol

Thing is mj would just drill jumpers til he started biting and then would go around. Help defense =/= man defense.. big men would get manipulated and dominated by skilled midrange players 1v1

Don't do em like that.

The Duncan and Kobe comparison has always just served the Kobe hater agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory
    Boiled down.

Duncan > Kobe

See how easy that was?
    That's a nice opinion , but I haven't seen you say an objective thing about Kobe in my time here, you'd say pretty much any all time great is better than him outside of some scrub.

It's based on what I have seen with my own eyes and in most series where their Teams went head to head, Kobe was the stand out. I'm talking post season.

And you don't think Duncan and Pop weren't ecstatic the year they had to face a Dwight led Lakers Team in the first round sans Kobe?

To each his own tho.

Banned

Duncan wouldn't be playing help defense though. 1 on 1 is nothing like game situations, which is why it's hilarious that one dude keeps bringing up what happened between the Lakers and the Spurs

And in his prime, he was a very mobile 7 footer... not like the lighter Garnett, but he'd still be right there to contest every Kobe shot. Or he could just lay back and let Bean do what Bean does best- chuck. Then once he gets the rebound... game over.

Literally nothing Bean could do to stop him from scoring.

I would put money on Shaq to beat Jordan very comfortably in a 1 on 1 game

No

NBA Superstar

That's a nice opinion , but I haven't seen you say an objective thing about Kobe in my time here, you'd say pretty much any all time great is better than him outside of some scrub.

It's based on what I have seen with my own eyes and in most series where their Teams went head to head, Kobe was the stand out. I'm talking post season.

And you don't think Duncan and Pop weren't ecstatic the year they had to face a Dwight led Lakers Team in the first round sans Kobe?

To each his own tho.
    I have Duncan and Kobe 7-8 all time.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory
    I have Duncan and Kobe 7-8 all time.
    You're a smart man. They have a case above Bird and Magic imo.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Duncan wouldn't be playing help defense though. 1 on 1 is nothing like game situations, which is why it's hilarious that one dude keeps bringing up what happened between the Lakers and the Spurs

And in his prime, he was a very mobile 7 footer... not like the lighter Garnett, but he'd still be right there to contest every Kobe shot. Or he could just lay back and let Bean do what Bean does best- chuck. Then once he gets the rebound... game over.

Literally nothing Bean could do to stop him from scoring.

I would put money on Shaq to beat Jordan very comfortably in a 1 on 1 game

No
    Seen that 1v1 so many times on nba tv.. it's like a staple there. That was a light hearted shoot around scrum..

I thought we was talking a tournament style competitive bout..

Banned

Seen that 1v1 so many times on nba tv.. it's like a staple there. That was a light hearted shoot around scrum..

I thought we was talking a tournament style competitive bout..
    Everyone here knows I'm partial to Jordan but c'mon son... what would he be able to do to stop this dude single-handedly?

Great big man will beat a great smaller man 9/10 in a 1 on 1.

You can even run a little experiment in real life if you don't believe me. Go out to your local park or rec center- find someone who is at your relative skill level only half a foot taller, 50+ lbs heavier than you, with a much longer wingspan... but who is still very mobile. Challenge them 1 on 1.

Then post the results here.