Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Krust Kingz

Default Re: any watch heads here?

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    what happened to leather bands?
    [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Cheap leather bands start to smell, retain that nasty odor, and crack. [/COLOR]

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rameek
    [COLOR=DarkGreen]Cheap leather bands start to smell, retain that nasty odor, and crack. [/COLOR]
    Of course they do. If you're doing something to work up a sweat or whatever that'd give it the chance the retain some funkiness I don't know why you aren't wearing some cheapo workout nylon watch, or God forbid, take your watch off.

It's personal preference to be sure, but I'm just not a fan of having some half pound hunk of metal around my wrist all day, certainly not a ****ing all "gold" one.

NBA rookie of the year IlliniFan's Avatar

Not a "watch head" but I recently got a pretty nice watch with a leather band.

Krust Kingz

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    Of course they do. If you're doing something to work up a sweat or whatever that'd give it the chance the retain some funkiness I don't know why you aren't wearing some cheapo workout nylon watch, or God forbid, take your watch off.

It's personal preference to be sure, but I'm just not a fan of having some half pound hunk of metal around my wrist all day, certainly not a ****ing all "gold" one.
    [COLOR="Navy"]You asked I answered.

Funny story well not so funny. My first Techno Marine watch was ruined because I forgot to take it off while playing basketball. Cracked the crystal on the rim.

I only wear leather (I have 2 crocodile bands) for going out.

I am not a fan of rubber band watches. I do have one though.

[/COLOR]
    Last edited by Rameek; 01-30-2012 at 05:17 AM.

I prefer a simple clean look for my watches.

At the moment I mostly wear this:

Not an expensive watch, but it has all the features I want, and I like the distinct look.

Anyway it is very much possible to get a nice watch for a few hundred bucks, no real need to spend more than that.

Local High School Star intrinsic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynZoo
    dads retirement present? i dunno, I used to like the chrome/silver watch look more but with everyone having those and with gold being sought after recently (even though its just gold colored), i started thinkin about gettin a gold one. i think it would look pretty good with a black shirt but i havent tried it on yet

and skan i think that article is geared more towards the real high end ones
    The watch in the OP will give an impression that you didn't want to spend that much money for an expensive looking watch. That's what I meant by a retirement gift.

I wouldn't recommend a Burberry. For one thing, that picture has a similar profile to a g-shock. Another, it's a Fossil watch with the Burberry brand stamped on it. The Seiko is a better built watch for half the price if those are your choices.

InspiredLebowski made a good recommendation. A leather band with a simple face will give you a more grown up look, and you won't have to spend even $100 for it. You could start with that and save up to buy something which better fits what you're looking for.

I've been sporting this Movado for the last 10 years. Great watch.

www.watchismo.com

Found several unique watches on this site over the past few years.

Made that high school varsity squad DwadeOverLebron's Avatar

Yes it is true leather bands will crack, wear down and smell eventually. But some people don't mind this as it is simple and easy to get a new leather strap they range from 18-150 bucks but you can get a decent one for $30.

Yes it is true that I might be laying it "thick" but I also am telling the truth.

FYI those Citizen Eco Drives (Solar powered) watches are cool and a great concept. BUT I have changed the capacitor on these things and it's exactly the same as a battery anyway. The only difference is that Citizen calls it a capacitor when really it's a rechargable battery. It's supposed to last longer but I just don't think so from replacing these things all the time. And you can only get these "capacitors" from Citizen which costs 28-48 bucks, regular watch batteries range from 10-24 bucks. Over rated in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynZoo
    i dont wear watches but im lookin into gettin one, but dont know much about em or whats good. i was looking for a gold watch with a gold face and came across the one below. It is a Seiko SGF206 quartz watch. List price is around $270 but it can be bought for under 200. Is this watch worth getting? Im only getting it for the look as I dont really need a watch to tell time. is it gonna look gaudy or tacky or cheap to someone whos into watches? is Seiko a "cheap" company? im asking those who are into the more grown up watches, not G-shocks etc (no disrespect to those that wear em just not what im looking for). what do you think?

Whatever watch you get for $270 isn't worth thinking about too much.
    They are all the same commercial crap.

/vapid mode

I am Chris Wilcox

My two current watches...

Tissot PR50 Titanium

Hugo Boss

I've really got my heart set on a nice chronograph for my next watch, with a brown leather band. However, I only recently got these two watches. The Tissot was my granddad's watch, he died about 18 months ago and my grandma gave that watch as a present. The Boss was a birthday present from my girlfriend. So, for now, I won't be purchasing any watches, but when the time comes, I know what I want.

In the mean time, this is the most beautiful watch I have ever seen (I will probably never own one)...

Patek Philippe 5270g

Price tag, about $170,000

Krust Kingz

Quote Originally Posted by intrinsic
    The watch in the OP will give an impression that you didn't want to spend that much money for an expensive looking watch. That's what I meant by a retirement gift.

I wouldn't recommend a Burberry. For one thing, that picture has a similar profile to a g-shock. Another, it's a Fossil watch with the Burberry brand stamped on it. The Seiko is a better built watch for half the price if those are your choices.

InspiredLebowski made a good recommendation. A leather band with a simple face will give you a more grown up look, and you won't have to spend even $100 for it. You could start with that and save up to buy something which better fits what you're looking for.
    [COLOR="DarkGreen"]IMHO watches is about what you like and accents you. Its also about get the best for your budget. I bought my Hugo Boss for $120 flying internationally. It just looked real good to me. It looks similar to this but with black numbers.

Fossil makes a ton of watches for other brands. I dont remember which are manufactured by them but its an extensive list.

I do agree with the Swiss made watches.

I dont agree with cheap bands though. They dont last and they can make a nice face watch look cheezy. Like I said I have crocodile/alligator bands they all eventually get fugged.

I always wanted a Breitling Chrono but I just dont see me spending that much for a watch. I got a Rolex Submariner 2nd hand from a friend.

I do have a couple of Bvlgari watches and had a couple of Aspray watches.

The next watch I may get eventually is a David Yurman CLASSIC 46MM CHRONOGRAPH.

[/COLOR]
    Last edited by Rameek; 01-30-2012 at 03:13 PM.

Made that high school varsity squad DwadeOverLebron's Avatar

Go with any company under the "Swatch Group" umbrella. Swatch group owns ETA which manufactures 90% of all movements in swiss made watches. Watch co.'s that use ETA that are NOT part of Swatch group are Tag Heuer, Breitling, Cartier, Movado, Raymond Weil, Chanel, etc. amongst many others.

Just like anything in life you get what you pay for.
    Last edited by DwadeOverLebron; 01-30-2012 at 03:26 PM.

Local High School Star intrinsic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rameek

I dont agree with cheap bands though. They dont last and they can make a nice face watch look cheezy. Like I said I have crocodile/alligator bands they all eventually get fugged.
    This was something I overlooked when I made my previous post, and it's a great point. A cheap leather strap won't last. It will crack and split apart with normal wear. However, it's a nice starting point for a more grown-up watch. The intial investment won't cost as much as stainless while a person discovers what they like, what they don't.

i rock this one, Casio databank its my favorite whish it was more yellow gold though. i also have the casio infrared remote watch but dont wear it