Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Do the Mavs tank now?

They have to tank now. Honestly this whole ordeal may end up benefitting them in the long run. Even with Jordan they were first round fodder in the West. Now they can, (or should at least) commit to the tank and try to come up with their next franchise cornerstone via the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Sure, a Spurs fan loves this.

But, what would you think if Durant signed with the Cavs next year at such a rate, that they could keep LBJ, Love, Kyrie, and Thompson?

This is getting out of hand.
    What's to stop Lebron from taking some low salary since he makes so much off-court in order to win championship? In essence that's what he's doing now - waiting till everyone's signed and probably take what's left. How do you propose to stop that?

LMA is getting the MAX that a team not named POR can offer. Now David West - personally I wouldn't do what he's doing - but maybe he's just fed up with IND and wants to spend his last year(s) with an organization that has its stuff in order and compete for a ring.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

BUT, this is again unfair, if certain players play with an organization at less than their worth.

If Duncan is considered worth, say $20 mil a year, and he takes $10 mil...well, make the hit $20 mil against the cap.

I agree with the rest.
    No it's not.

That is called being a great organization. If you are a good enough franchise that players want to play for you...you have to be able to benefit from that.

You are essentially removing any differentiation between organizations and making it solely money....

Always going to be good and bad franchises....

You are basically arguing that it's unfair that Lebron is better than everyone else....and we should normalize his abilities so it's more fair.

If the Spurs are the best run franchise....they should benefit from that. Same with the stuff that happens on the court.

I agree that we can make some changes/improvements, but no matter the system...certain franchises will always be more desirable than others. And I think that competition is good.

Quote Originally Posted by SwishSquared
    I think he may be tradeable, assuming his recovery is going well, to some team that has expirings to give away. Somebody in another thread mentioned Detroit, which would make some sense for the Mavs (other conference, team trying to make playoffs, etc).

Jennings + Dinwiddie + Morris+ 2017 1st round pick swap for Parsons. Mavs dump Jennings at some point, gain a rotation F on a cheap long term deal in Morris, and get a cheap young guy who may be a rotation guard going forward in Dinwiddie.

I don't think Mavs can get a first for Parsons, but if they could, I can see a team like Detroit potentially parting with a protected pick. I think CP can play as a small ball PF pretty well in SVG's system.
    It depends on the plan, but I'm jumping on the ability to flip Matthews and Parsons here for multiple first round picks and a couple young players or something.

In a perfect world....we'd trade Dirk to a contender for a couple first rounders as well.

It's too bad that the relationship with the Rockets is too poor, but trading Dirk there for filler and a couple picks would be a great deal for both teams.

Poor Dirk.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFederer
    Poor Dirk.
    Yea...really sucks.

Guess he's gonna retire now. Really a shame...dude could have played this year and 3 more on a contending team at like 20 to 25 minutes a game.

NBA lottery pick

The NBA is becoming a joke.

This is just another example. And, I'm sorry, but for the Spurs to be getting players to play for considerably less than what their worth, is simply not fair. I'm really surprised that the player's union hasn't stepped in on this.

Maybe the league needs to rate a player's worth, and use that against a cap...and then let the players play for whatever they want.
    You realize that CP3 is the president of the players union, right? This league is now basically run by retarded players who lack social manners and have an IQ below 100. Maybe I judged Stern wrong all these years. He knew he ran an asylum full of idiots and needed to rule with a firm hand to control them.

The way CP3, Pierce and Blake acted on social media is unreal. That was some ISH-like bullshit. And people here do it anonymously, cause they know what repercussions such dickhead behaviour should have in the real world.

That

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    It depends on the plan, but I'm jumping on the ability to flip Matthews and Parsons here for multiple first round picks and a couple young players or something.

In a perfect world....we'd trade Dirk to a contender for a couple first rounders as well.

It's too bad that the relationship with the Rockets is too poor, but trading Dirk there for filler and a couple picks would be a great deal for both teams.
    That's ideally the direction you guys go in I think. Do you think Dirk, since it appears you'll commit to the tank, would even entertain the thought of leaving? If the deal is right, I could still see Houston as a destination for Dirk. Cuban is too proud, most likely, but it could be doable financially.

Do you know if/when Parsons or Matthews are expected to play?

Dekker + Papanikolaou + fodder + protected pick for Dirk?

TJ Warren + Cleveland 2016 first for Parsons?

I don't know if these fake trades even bring close to the value you're wanting, but I think Parsons loses value each month he doesn't get traded since he can opt out. His surgery complicates a trade, but I can see some teams wanting to make a playoff push picking him up. Dirk's value kinda sinks at his age, even with his great contract.

Matthews is interesting- I'm clueless as to how he'll perform once he's back. He'll need a solid 6 months of play to convince a team he's recovered well enough.

Good college starter Locked_Up_Tonight's Avatar

[QUOTE=R.I.P.] That shit doesn

Local High School Star KelticForce1349's Avatar

The NBA is becoming a joke.

This is just another example. And, I'm sorry, but for the Spurs to be getting players to play for considerably less than what their worth, is simply not fair. I'm really surprised that the player's union hasn't stepped in on this.

Maybe the league needs to rate a player's worth, and use that against a cap...and then let the players play for whatever they want.
    No. That is not a good idea. These guys like David West have more money than we can really comprehend. Unless he is a complete fool with his money he is set for life. Who says he won't make money doing something after his playing days are over.

Imagine that West has looked up to Duncan as his idol for all of these years. Imagine that he has toiled with lesser franchises always thinking about how the Spurs do things the right way. Imagine he feels that way about many of the coaches he has played for and what he thinks when he is siting at home watching Pop coach in the Finals. Imagine that West loves Basketball and truly wants to play a season with a team that wins an NBA championship.

Do you really think it is right to block him from his wish just because he should be worth more money? Tons of these guys are over-paid. There can't be one or two guys that are "under-paid?"

Nah...don't feel too bad for Dirk

He has a ring, MVP, FMVP and shitload of money

Quote Originally Posted by SwishSquared
    That's ideally the direction you guys go in I think. Do you think Dirk, since it appears you'll commit to the tank, would even entertain the thought of leaving? If the deal is right, I could still see Houston as a destination for Dirk. Cuban is too proud, most likely, but it could be doable financially.

Do you know if/when Parsons or Matthews are expected to play?

Dekker + Papanikolaou + fodder + protected pick for Dirk?

TJ Warren + Cleveland 2016 first for Parsons?

I don't know if these fake trades even bring close to the value you're wanting, but I think Parsons loses value each month he doesn't get traded since he can opt out. His surgery complicates a trade, but I can see some teams wanting to make a playoff push picking him up. Dirk's value kinda sinks at his age, even with his great contract.

Matthews is interesting- I'm clueless as to how he'll perform once he's back. He'll need a solid 6 months of play to convince a team he's recovered well enough.
    I don't know which direction Cuban goes...I just know what I'd do.

I'd put out a shit roster and hard tank this year. I'd hold out Parsons and Matthews until Christmas or so.

I'd hope Matthews looks good and convinces enough teams he's back that his contract becomes an asset (it's reported now that the deal is for less than originally reported...last word I got was 4 years 47 million...which is a great contract for Wes if he's close to being back)....

Then I'd trade Parsons at the deadline if anyone will give you something for him. If not...keep him and hope he'll come back at a reasonable amount.

Trading Dirk? It would be the best thing for the franchise at this point. While I'm the biggest Dirk fan, I was a Mavs fan first. I'd love for him to finish his career here, but if we can land a young player and a first rounder for him...we need to try to convince him to be open to that.

You play your cards right this year and you could turn Parsons, Wes, and Dirk into at least two good young players and 3 first round picks. You combine that with the hard tank and if you get lucky you get Ben Simmons or at least a top 5 pick.

So that is probably what I'd do...I'm not totally against keeping everyone and just tanking and hoping we hit in the draft and sign a superstar next summer.

Either way....we have to hard tank and go for the number 1 pick. That is clearly the play here.

The NBA could create some sort of minimum value on players, based on the amount of the highest FA offer. For example, if a team offered David West a 2 year, $20m dollar contract, and he didn't want to sign with that team, the minimum he could sign for with any team would be 50% of that offer, or $5m per year. If no teams make West an offer before FA officially begins, he can sign with whoever he wants, for whatever he wants.

Boozer and Lebron Fam CarlosBoozer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlakFrankWhite
    Nah...don't feel too bad for Dirk

He has a ring, MVP, FMVP, a hot wife and shitload of money
    fixed

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    The NBA could create some sort of minimum value on players, based on the amount of the highest FA offer. For example, if a team offered David West a 2 year, $20m dollar contract, and he didn't want to sign with that team, the minimum he could sign for with any team would be 50% of that offer, or $5m per year. If no teams make West an offer before FA officially begins, he can sign with whoever he wants, for whatever he wants.
    Meh...players aren't free agents every year of their careers. Even on these shorter contracts....players only have a say a few times in their career on where they play.

If you start making it only about money....then it removes the advantage being a great franchise is.

This current system is working. If you want to get good players...you have to be good. Having the cap space alone isn't doing it. I don't see why fans are against a league in which players are starting to value winning and playing for good franchises more than just the money.

I find this so funny because it used to be the players only cared about the money. Now when they clearly don't just care about the money...we hammer them for that as well.

You want guys to take less to come play for you and compete? Be a quality franchise and don't suck for 10 years at a time. Try to actually win.