Default Why were the 80's and 90's such superior era's?

Detailed explanation as given by former greats who would love for nothing more than current era to be superior, as their current jobs as analysts revolve around it. Nastalgia possibility is therefore ruled out.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bKRi6i8BoGw

Default Re: Why were the 80's and 90's such superior era's?

They weren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight_Ballin
    Detailed explanation as given by former greats who would love for nothing more than current era to be superior, as their current jobs as analysts revolve around it. Nastalgia possibly is therefore ruled out.

In the 80's...more talent and in a smaller league. Teams like the Sixers, Celtics, Lakers, and later on, the Bad Boys...had 3+ stars, and were easily 8+ deep with quality players.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

80s Yes, 90s? Only The Early 90s

1980-1993: Was Asoume.

NBA rookie of the year

Better big men I would say. Less iso offence, more passing.

Basketball is more or less the same from the mid-80s to now though. I don't the game has changed/evolved much in the last 20 years or so.

It just so happens some of the good players from back then aren't playing today and you don't just replace players like that with the snap of a finger. Every superstar is unique and one of a kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight_Ballin
    Detailed explanation as given by former greats who would love for nothing more than current era to be superior, as their current jobs as analysts revolve around it. Nastalgia possibility is therefore ruled out.

not

College star

It's because they didn't have weak players like Kobe in those days.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave
    Better big men I would say. Less iso offence, more passing.

Basketball is more or less the same from the mid-80s to now though. I don't the game has changed/evolved much in the last 20 years or so.

It just so happens some of the good players from back then aren't playing today and you don't just replace players like that with the snap of a finger. Every superstar is unique and one of a kind.
    Basketball has changed quite a bit the last few years with the emphasis on the 3, analytics and less contact allowed. There is better spacing in today's game and with the softer rules, PGs are running the league.

Back in the 80's and 90's, teams almost never shot the 3. It wasn't seen as a weapon to utilize but a shot to take when the clock was running low or you just had a wide open look. The midrange game was huge iirc. As you said, post play was also huge as most teams had a big you can go through. I do think the fundamentals back then were better. Today, there is so much emphasis on the 3 and p&r, you don't see guys working on footwork and the basics. Guys just want to shoot from 3 and strike a pose.

But at the same time, basketball is still basketball. But the way the game is played has changed quite a bit from the 80's. GS winning this year and how they won is proof of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketswin2013
    They weren't.
    This

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival

Basketball has changed quite a bit the last few years with the emphasis on the 3, analytics and less contact allowed. There is better spacing in today's game and with the softer rules, PGs are running the league.

Back in the 80's and 90's, teams almost never shot the 3. It wasn't seen as a weapon to utilize but a shot to take when the clock was running low or you just had a wide open look. The midrange game was huge iirc. As you said, post play was also huge as most teams had a big you can go through. I do think the fundamentals back then were better. Today, there is so much emphasis on the 3 and p&r, you don't see guys working on footwork and the basics. Guys just want to shoot from 3 and strike a pose.

But at the same time, basketball is still basketball. But the way the game is played has changed quite a bit from the 80's. GS winning this year and how they won is proof of this.
    All true, especially the new rules aspect.. The new rules (hand-check ban and paint-camping ban) made the efficiency on penetration skyrocket, so that's all teams attempt now.. The efficiencies on post and mid-range are unchanged, but the rule changes have allowed efficiencies on penetration to surpass both.

Today's game is the "screen-roll, drive-and-kick" era, where teams get something going to the basket on every possession because easy penetration is AVAILABLE.

When penetration is so easy, you don't need post or mid-range skill (even though this is the most diverse area of the game).. But the constant screen-roll, drive-and-kicks eventually look boring and mechanical.. Also, the drive-and-kicks encourage camping behind the line, which makes today's on-court setup look like a marching band with the neat and tidy spacing.

But if penetration wasn't so easy, the post and mid-range would come back, and the game would look more free-flowing.. Players' movements would look more random and less staged.. The court would look less like a neat marching band and more like an actual basketball game.
    Last edited by 3ball; 07-09-2015 at 04:21 AM.