Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Default Re: The Case For Hakeem Olajuwon As The Greatest Player In The NBA History

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    What's your freaking point, he wasn't ALL-NBA those 3 years the guy mentioned but he was ALL-NBA 3 straigh years just one year earlier than that. He clearly choose those 3 years as Hakeem's prime just to make a silly point when in fact his true prime was '93, '94 and '95. From '93-'95 he was a 1-time MVP, 2 time ALL-NBA first team player, two time Finals MVP, 2 time DPOY and he was clearly the best center in the NBA those 3 years. He was All-NBA third team in 95 after MVP Robinson and finals candidate Shaq and Robinson he abused like no other MVP has been abused in league history and Shaq he outplayed and led his Rocket team to an easy 4-0 win in the finals.

Hakeem battled HOF-centers his whole career for those ALL-NBA nominations, no other center faced that many guys who are in the top 10 among centers like Hakeem did.
    Shaq abused by Hakeem in '95 Finals?

NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: The Case For Hakeem Olajuwon As The Greatest Player In The NBA History

Quote Originally Posted by Odinn
    Shaq abused by Hakeem in '95 Finals?
    Can you read?
    Is "outplayed" and "abused" the same word in your dictionary?

Can you read?
    Is "outplayed" and "abused" the same word in your dictionary?
    The only thing you're right about something.

Hakeem didn't outplay Shaq.

Game1;
    Shaq 26/16/9/3/0.625fg
    Hakeem 31/6/7/4/0.500fg

Game2;
    Shaq 33/12/7/0.545fg
    Hakeem 34/11/2/4/0.467fg

Game3;
    Shaq 28/10/6/3/0.647fg
    Hakeem 31/14/7/0.467fg

Game4;
    Shaq 25/12/3/4/0.579fg
    Hakeem 35/15/6/0.500fg

Series;
    Shaq 28.0/12.5/6.3/2.5/0.595fg/32.3eff
    Hakeem 32.8/11.5/5.5/2.0/0.483fg/34.0eff

Hakeem's supporting cast outperformed Shaq's suppoting cast badly.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Odinn
    The only thing you're right about something.

Hakeem didn't outplay Shaq.

Game1;
    Shaq 26/16/9/3/0.625fg
    Hakeem 31/6/7/4/0.500fg

Game2;
    Shaq 33/12/7/0.545fg
    Hakeem 34/11/2/4/0.467fg

Game3;
    Shaq 28/10/6/3/0.647fg
    Hakeem 31/14/7/0.467fg

Game4;
    Shaq 25/12/3/4/0.579fg
    Hakeem 35/15/6/0.500fg

Series;
    Shaq 28.0/12.5/6.3/2.5/0.595fg/32.3eff
    Hakeem 32.8/11.5/5.5/2.0/0.483fg/34.0eff

Hakeem's supporting cast outperformed Shaq's suppoting cast badly.
    First of all, stats ain't everything. I bet you even haven't watched the actual games, mr boxscore lover.

"If I can't beat you, I'll be a man and say I can't beat you. I'm not going to [cry about it] ... I'm the first guy to say that somebody is better than me. I was the first guy to say Hakeem Olajuwon beat me in the [1995] NBA finals. He killed me. He dominated me. I didn't go, 'Oh, he's traveling. They had experience. Wah-wah-wah.' I'm a man. Hakeem Olajuwon dusted my butt." - Shaquille O'neal

In game one Shaquille played just as good as, if not better even though Hakeem was better in the OT and sealed the deal for the Rockets with his gamewinning tip-in.

In game two Hakeem had Shaq in the first half and he scored big for the Rockets who at the half had a big 22 point lead, Shaq's point's came when Hakeem and the Rockets already had a great lead.

Game 3 was a close one but again Olajuwon played at his best when he had to and making clutch plays at the end. Shaq didn't come through in the end of the games in this series and he had a big problem with turn overs, he averaged more than 5 turn overs per game compared to Olajuwon's 2.5 per game.

And game 4 was Hakeem's, he had 35 points on 50% shooting, 15 rebounds, 6 assists and 3 steals to end the series.

Shaquille definitely had a great series and between Ewing, Robinson and himself he played Hakeem the best during the Rockets back-to-back titles. And yes, Shaq got outplayed, even the guy himself will tell you that and this is a topic that has been discussed earlier and a strong majority of the posters agree that Shaq got outplayed, even the Shaq-fans..: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=145959

Great college starter

2000 Shaq would annihilate Hakeem. I don't care what anyone says. Guy has one monster series against a player known to crumble under pressure, and all of a sudden he is candidate for goat. ****ing joke. The dude was a black hole for most of his career. Played in an era that allowed centers to foul, and he was still always in foul trouble. He wasn't a team player for most of his career. Any good big man would have outplayed DROB under those circumstances. That series against DROB is the reason why we all have to read this bs about him being the best center, most skilled player ever. His post game wouldn't fare so well in this era. Slow as **** moves. He looked smooth because he was being guarded by ****ing stiffs.

College superstar

Dunno why people are arguing about media awards. Derrick Rose won MVP last year. LeBron came 2nd in DPOY once.

The only major weakness I saw in Hakeem was that he was way too much in love with that baseline fade away. Fool's gold when it was going in. He was also a bit undersized, at least compared to guys like Kareem and Shaq. It obviously wasn't that big a burden, but it was a limitation.

He was on garbage teams for most of his prime. Lost to one of the most stacked teams ever in the finals, won 2 with one of the most shoe string rosters ever just as his prime was ending (and that was damned lucky). Imagine if he had Pippen and Horace Grant? Or if every ref and media writer was fawning all over him.

I just wish that '97 team went to the finals. Would've been a way more entertaining series, what with all the revenge storylines.

Very good NBA starter wally_world's Avatar

Probably not the GOAT, but The Dream would be my pick for a franchise building block among all other great players. He is probably the most complete NBA player.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Big#50
    2000 Shaq would annihilate Hakeem. I don't care what anyone says. Guy has one monster series against a player known to crumble under pressure, and all of a sudden he is candidate for goat. ****ing joke. The dude was a black hole for most of his career. Played in an era that allowed centers to foul, and he was still always in foul trouble. He wasn't a team player for most of his career. Any good big man would have outplayed DROB under those circumstances. That series against DROB is the reason why we all have to read this bs about him being the best center, most skilled player ever. His post game wouldn't fare so well in this era. Slow as **** moves. He looked smooth because he was being guarded by ****ing stiffs.
    One monster series? The guy lead one of the worst teams in 1994 without any all-star and with Maxwell as the 2nd best scorer of the team in the playoffs who averaged 13.8 points on 37% shooting...

In '94 he was the MVP, DPOY and the FINALS MVP, something only accomplished by Hakeem Olajuwon in league history. He crushed Ewing in the finals, he totally trashed MVP Robinson and outplayed Shaq during his back-to-backs and neither of the years he didn't have any all-stars (Clyde was not an all-star in '95). He faced 3 of of the top 10 centers during his back-to backs.

And in '86, in only his 2nd year as a pro he led his Houston Rockets to the finals by beating the previous years champs and dominating the Laker bigs big time and he also dominated the Celtic centers in the finals but the Rockets did finally loose in game 6 against one of the greatest teams of all-time.

Haha, wouldn't his post moves fare well in this era? And was he guarded by stiff? You do realize that the era of today has the worst sample of centers? If Robinson, Ewing, Shaq, Jabbar, Mutombo etc had trouble guarding him, do you think that the likes of Joel Anthony, Chris Kaman and Tyson Chandler would have an easy time guarding him?

And now you only prove you didn't see the guy play, calling him and his moves slow is a joke. The guy was one of the fastest and quickest big guys of all-time..

And his greatness is not only because of one series, moron. He is number 1 in recorded blocks, 8 in steals (only center in the top 40), 9 in scoring, 11 in rebounds. He is the only player to win MVP, DPOY and Finals MVP in one year and he also has another DPOY. He is also the center with the highest point per game average in the playoffs of all-time.

And Hakeem being a black hole most of his career? In the top 10 among centers he's only after Russell and Wilt in total amount of assists and he and Shaq share the same assist number average so that must make Shaq a black hole as well?

And no, I don't consider Hakeem as the GOAT, but prime Hakeem was just as good as any other play of all-time, he was nothing but amazing. Hakeem was a GOAT talent though and it's a shame he had many of his years as pro wasted while playing on shitty teams.
    Last edited by millwad; 09-10-2011 at 01:08 PM.

Great college starter

One monster series? The guy lead one of the worst teams in 1994 without any all-star and with Maxwell as the 2nd best scorer of the team in the playoffs who averaged 13.8 points on 37% shooting...

In '94 he was the MVP, DPOY and the FINALS MVP, something only accomplished by Hakeem Olajuwon in league history. He crushed Ewing in the finals, he totally trashed MVP Robinson and outplayed Shaq during his back-to-backs and neither of the years he didn't have any all-stars (Clyde was not an all-star in '95). He faced 3 of of the top 10 centers during his back-to backs.

And in '86, in only his 2nd year as a pro he led his Houston Rockets to the finals by beating the previous years champs and dominating the Laker bigs big time and he also dominated the Celtic centers in the finals but the Rockets did finally loose in game 6 against one of the greatest teams of all-time.

Haha, wouldn't his post moves fare well in this era? And was he guarded by stiff? You do realize that the era of today has the worst sample of centers? If Robinson, Ewing, Shaq, Jabbar, Mutombo etc had trouble guarding him, do you think that the likes of Joel Anthony, Chris Kaman and Tyson Chandler would have an easy time guarding him?

And now you only prove you didn't see the guy play, calling him and his moves slow is a joke. The guy was one of the fastest and quickest big guys of all-time..

And his greatness is not only because of one series, moron. He is number 1 in recorded blocks, 8 in steals (only center in the top 40), 9 in scoring, 11 in rebounds. He is the only player to win MVP, DPOY and Finals MVP in one year and he also has another DPOY. He is also the center with the highest point per game average in the playoffs of all-time.

And Hakeem being a black hole most of his career? In the top 10 among centers he's only after Russell and Wilt in total amount of assists and he and Shaq share the same assist number average so that must make Shaq a black hole as well?

And no, I don't consider Hakeem as the GOAT, but prime Hakeem was just as good as any other play of al l-time, he was nothing but amazing. Hakeem was a GOAT talent though and it's a shame he had many of his years as pro wasted while playing on shitty teams.
    Slow moves. I didn't say he was slow. Robinson was robotic as ****. Ewing had lost his mobility and was out of his athletic prime. Shaq was young as hell. 2000 Shaq pummels Hakeem. The 94 Rockets had the best all around team in the league. Name a better team in 94. His stats are impressive. Different era , different pace. The year he won the triple crown, he was gifted the DPOY. Pippen was the best defender in the NBA that year. Highest scoring average means nothing. He wasn't a guy that could create for others. He wasn't a great passer off the double team. Specially early in his career. Even in his prime he was average. He would try some stupid ass passes.
    i have a feeling you never saw him play. You're looking at youtube and stats. GFOH ****ing **** gobbler.

College superstar

it's a shame he had many of his years as pro wasted while playing on shitty teams.

lmao. Hakem's many years were on shitty teams? didn't him and Ralph Sampson knock the Showtime Lakers out of the play-off in the 80s???? and It not Hakeem's fault that his teammates decided to smoke crack and end their careers prematurely.

Greatest, most complete centre to ever play the game. Player? No.

NBA rookie of the year

Slow moves. I didn't say he was slow. Robinson was robotic as ****. Ewing had lost his mobility and was out of his athletic prime. Shaq was young as hell. 2000 Shaq pummels Hakeem. The 94 Rockets had the best all around team in the league. Name a better team in 94. His stats are impressive. Different era , different pace. The year he won the triple crown, he was gifted the DPOY. Pippen was the best defender in the NBA that year. Highest scoring average means nothing. He wasn't a guy that could create for others. He wasn't a great passer off the double team. Specially early in his career. Even in his prime he was average. He would try some stupid ass passes.
    i have a feeling you never saw him play. You're looking at youtube and stats. GFOH ****ing **** gobbler.
    Haha, you're the guy who called his moves slow and that he was guarded by stiffs and you question if I've seen the game when you're the obvious troll.

Ok, so Robinson was robotic as hell, Ewing wasn't in his prime and Shaq was young as hell, Hakeem was a black hole, he had the best teammates, he didn't deserve his DPOY, his moves were slow as hell and he couldn't create for others...

Haha, get real, idiot.

And talking about competition and of all players you mention Shaq, you do realize that Shaq in 2000 played against old ass Sabonis, old Divac, Smits in his last season and Dale Davis..

Yeah, the Rockets was the best all-round team, they were really great, right.. Without Hakeem from 1992-1996 the Rockets had a 7-27 record, straight to the lottery without Hakeem..

And if you'd actually watch the games from his back-to-backs you'd never make a claim that he couldn't create for others and in the top 10 list among centers he collected third most assists after Russell and Wilt. And his assist per game average is equal to Shaq's so if Hakeem's a black hole then Shaq is a black hole as well by your logic..

Sure Pippen was the best defender in '94, Hakeem shut down everyone and he held Ewing's FG% down big time in the finals, and by defensive rating the Rockets were listed at 2nd place in the league and he was 2nd in the league regarding blocks.

I really have a feeling that you're either butthurt over something or you "saw" the games, not saw, but "saw".. Your claims are pathetic.

NBA rookie of the year

The 94 Rockets had the best all around team in the league. Name a better team in 94. .
    Of course they were the best team, they won it all, HELLO!?
    Now remove Hakeem and you have a terrible team, a team that without Hakeem had a 7-27 record from 1992-1996..

Plenty of teams would be better off than the Rockets in 1994 and 1995 if you'd remove the best player of each team.

If I was picking a C for my team, I would pick the Dream. Why? Cause he's ready for any kind of action. Offensively, he could give it to u all literally other than a three pointer. Defensively, arguably the greatest Center of all time and capable of defending multiple positions. Hakeem aged like a fine wine. He came in the L as a freak athlete and grew into a player so refined and skilled.

But Dream doesn't have a case for GOAT of all time. I feel only 6 guys have a claim and that's MJ, Kareem, Wilt, Magic, Bird, and Russell. Hakeem in my book is just as good if not better than all the big men I listed. But a GOAT List factors numbers, talent, solo accolades, team accolades, and longevity being great. So these are the things that pull the other guys ahead of Hakeem. But frankly in terms of big men, I have a hard time believing that ANYBODY was better than prime Hakeem. Shaq and Wilt are the most dominant. But I feel Hakeem and Kareem are on another level in terms of skill. And Hakeem had the physical strength and athletic ability to overpower as well.
    Last edited by bizil; 09-11-2011 at 06:24 AM.

I pooped a hammer.

Regardless of your argument, you write as if you're writing an eighth grade research paper on the Dream.