Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Sterling Refusing to Pay the $2.5M Fine.

Quote Originally Posted by JellyBean
    Sterling is about to get the same treatment that he gave to his tenants, the royal beat down. Sterling can refuse but the league can take the money from several places, most importantly TV money. Heck the league can withhold the $2.5 million when it sends out money for profit sharing. Either way, the league has this bum by the fruit of the looms.
    The NBA would first need a court order allowing them to deduct the $2.5M from payments they make to him. They can't just do whatever they want. There are legal procedures that have to be followed.

Now that he has filed a suit, they DEFINITELY can't do that. Even if there's a 100% chance that Sterling will lose, It is still "in dispute" until it is decided or settled. It would be wildly illegal for the NBA to take the money out of payments.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    The NBA would first need a court order allowing them to deduct the $2.5M from payments they make to him. They can't just do whatever they want. There are legal procedures that have to be followed.

Now that he has filed a suit, they DEFINITELY can't do that. Even if there's a 100% chance that Sterling will lose, It is still "in dispute" until it is decided or settled. It would be wildly illegal for the NBA to take the money out of payments.
    That's one (The bold) i had not heard discussed do you have a link or....

And he hasn't filed a suit or if he has i'd like to see a link to that also

Rich Manning is my dad Vancouver-Grizz's Avatar

From what I have seen on the internet. If Sterling chooses not to pay the 2.5 million within 30 days, that is another reason for removal of the team.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Vancouver-Grizz
    From what I have seen on the internet. If Sterling chooses not to pay the 2.5 million within 30 days, that is another reason for removal of the team.

This is true... they can remove him as an owner if he doesn't pay the fine

Article 13 Section C,
    Specifically, a franchise may be terminated if it:
    Fail[s] to pay any dues or other indebtedness owing to the Association within thirty (30) days after Written Notice from the Commissioner of default in such payment.

but that probably won't happen or get that far because they can withhold it from him

(j) The Commissioner shall be empowered to withhold all revenues due to any Member in the event that said Member has, in the Commissioner’s determination, failed to discharge its financial obligations to the Association or any Member thereof.

Once again these are both items that Sterling has agreed to a number of times over the years as do all franchise holders
    Last edited by gts; 05-16-2014 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantomCreep
    Relatively speaking, nobody cared. I don't remember sponsors dropping the Lakers over Kobe's epithet.
    You're right. Nobody does care.

In our pathetic pus[color=black]sified[/color] society, though, people act like they're offended when they're really not. The truth is that everyone has used those same words Kobe did that night. Lie and claim you never have, or you know someone who never has, but the fact of the matter is you're either a goody goody or overly religious if you've never used foul language in your life.

"F[color=black]aggot[/color]" used to just be used to mock someone. They didn't even have to necessarily be gay. Hell, even their actions didn't have to be on the queer side. If someone was being annoying, you would call them a 'fa[color=black]ggot[/color];' if someone cut you off and almost caused you to crash, you might have called them a 'fa[color=black]ggot[/color];' if someone was hitting on your g/f, you'd threaten to kick that 'fa[color=black]ggot[/color]'s' ass; etc.

My point is that Kobe didn't say anything anyone else wasn't saying at the time; it just so turns out that people are overly sensitive today and want to act like they've never said a gay slur in their entire lives. Plus, Kobe doesn't own a franchise that employs a large number of gays.
    Donald Sterling, on the other hand, does own a franchise that employs a large number of blacks. He was clearly in the wrong for his remarks. You can't own a basketball team with a majority of your players being black and turn out to be a known racist.

The only thing that bothers me about all of this is that everyone ignored the shit Sterling did in the past and immediately jumped on this. They ignored the housing discrimination lawsuits this idiot went through; they ignored people accusing him of racism over the past 30+ years; they simply ignored it all. But now that he said something about mostly rich black guys, like Magic Johnson, everyone wants to act offended. Why weren't you offended when he was discriminating against poor black people?

Edit: I should make sure everyone who reads this knows that when I'm saying "you," I'm not speaking to anyone in general, so the guy who I quoted doesn't have to trip out and think I'm calling him out or something.
    Last edited by DwnShft2Xcelr8; 05-16-2014 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantomCreep
    No, the problem is nobody gave a shit about Kobe's comments.

Kobe apologized. Sterling didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    That's one (The bold) i had not heard discussed do you have a link or....

And he hasn't filed a suit or if he has i'd like to see a link to that also
    Are you kidding? You're actually not aware that you can't just confiscate people's property?

If you claim somebody owes you money, you don't get to unilaterally decide to take it from them. You have to go through the courts. Like, duh.

You're right about the suit though. He might not have filed yet. I actually don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by DwnShft2Xcelr8

The only thing that bothers me about all of this is that everyone ignored the shit Sterling did in the past and immediately jumped on this. They ignored the housing discrimination lawsuits this idiot went through; they ignored people accusing him of racism over the past 30+ years; they simply ignored it all. But now that he said something about mostly rich black guys, like Magic Johnson, everyone wants to act offended. Why weren't you offended when he was discriminating against poor black people?

This is true... they can remove him as an owner if he doesn't pay the fine

Article 13 Section C,
    Specifically, a franchise may be terminated if it:
    Fail[s] to pay any dues or other indebtedness owing to the Association within thirty (30) days after Written Notice from the Commissioner of default in such payment.

but that probably won't happen or get that far because they can withhold it from him

(j) The Commissioner shall be empowered to withhold all revenues due to any Member in the event that said Member has, in the Commissioner’s determination, failed to discharge its financial obligations to the Association or any Member thereof.

Once again these are both items that Sterling has agreed to a number of times over the years as do all franchise holders
    No no no no no.

The team is one thing. It's a franchise. It's not actually his property.

His money however is HIS property. That's an entirely different issue. They have NO authority to strip him of HIS property. The team is the NBAs but they can not touch his money.

Yes, refusing to pay a fine is grounds for removal, but they are already doing that anyway.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Are you kidding? You're actually not aware that you can't just confiscate people's property?

If you claim somebody owes you money, you don't get to unilaterally decide to take it from them. You have to go through the courts. Like, duh.

You're right about the suit though. He might not have filed yet. I actually don't know.
    ever heard of eminent domain... not that it applies here but it hapnens all the time...

And once again you're ignoring the NBA constitution.. fortunately the courts won't be so foolish

Now stop ranting and raving and show me a link that says the NBA's bylaws that state they can withhold a teams funds are illegal, show me a link where they have to get a court order.. i'll wait

i just showed the actually wordage from the NBA constitution that says they can now you show me something that says that they can't

you keep making all these statements but never back them up, you keep dismissing/ignoring the bylaws in favor of your own opinion but you never share anything that actually backs up your claims
    Last edited by gts; 05-16-2014 at 07:53 PM.

Now stop ranting and raving and show me a link that says the NBA's bylaws that state they can withhold a teams funds is illegal, show me a link where they have to get a court order..

i just show the actually wordage from the NBA constitution that says they can now you show me something that says that they can't

you keep making all these statements but never back them up, you keep dismissing/ignoring the bylaws in favor of your own opinion but you never share anything that actually backs up your claims
    Expect you didn't.

MEMBER = NBA franchise

You quoted a statement about withholding revenue from a MEMBER. Sterling is not a MEMBER. The Clippers franchise is a member of the NBA. Sterling is an owner of the MEMBER.

ever heard of eminent domain... not that it applies here but it hapnens all the time...
    Eminent domain ONLY apples to matters of public use and requires compensation.

The NBA isn't going to take Sterling's $2.5M for public use. And if they were, what is the point if they had to compensate him with $2.5M for his $2.5M that they took?

Decent playground baller Lonely_Sandberg's Avatar

$2.5M is diaper money to Sterling

Serious playground baller CeilingFan#1's Avatar

The reason he refuses to pay the money is because the NBA is planning on donating it to poor minorities.

Serious playground baller CeilingFan#1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DwnShft2Xcelr8

Not all the fans knew, but the people intertwined in the NBA should have.