Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Power32 (OJ Mayo) O.J A 6'4Mamba's Avatar

Default Rudy Gay is just now as "good/talented" as Kevin Durant

I have watch both players now let me preach.

Rudy Gay has taken his game to a new level. It is amazing how good someone with crazy potential can get, when they decide to work hard and put their head on the right way when they want to get paid on a contract year.

He jumper is just as automatic as Durant's, and he now has 24 ft 3 point range. He needs to work on fts. He is way more athletic than Durant, and they are similar in height durant a tad bit taller. Way stronger added 15 lbs of muscle this off season. He is now just as efficient from the FG at 47%.

He just plays for Grizzlies where everybodys stats are lowered since their starting 5 is easily top 3 in the league. He has to play along another 20 point scorer in Z-bo and an 18 pt scorer in OJ and another 14 point scorer in Gasol. Durant highest ppg teammate is Westbrook with 16 ppg. His rebounding is lowered because he plays with 2 guys that average 11 and 9 reounds a game.

If this guy does leave Memphis, and goes to any team where he can get the main option and all the offense is run through him, he will be putting identical and numbers that rival Durant's, I am not talking about teams like GSW/NY/PHX where if your talented you will put up crazy stats I am talking about legit teams like Twolves or something. .

Now we can only hope OJ Mayo takes his game to the next level this off season.

Local High School Star The Ownage's Avatar

Default Re: Rudy Gay is just now as "good/talented" as Kevin Durant

OK my response was a bit silly at first, but I think that Rudy Gay only has the potential to become a second option player. He's very talented, but it's just something about him that doesn't let me believe that he could be a first option. He has been playing less selfishly this season, which I thought was a big drawback to his game, but I don't know about him being as goon as Kevin Durant. Just something in his game that is lacking.
    Last edited by The Ownage; 03-28-2010 at 06:21 PM.

Banned

I agree Gay has become a very impressive player this year, no question about it.

But there are a lot of questions about how much he cares about WINNING.

Personally I'd be afraid to pay this guy too much. IMO skill can get you into the playoffs, but attitude gets you through them. Gay doesn't show enough heart to get big time dolla dolla beelz.

If he was as talented as Durant, his FG% would be much higher. Durant is already scoring 10more points on Rudy with a better %.

A bold statement, but I have to disagree. Rudy Gay may be more athletic but durants length and height allows him to score in a wider array of situations. You admit his jumpers is not as good, but you are not aware how important that is. Combine better jumper plus length just puts Durant 2-3 notches higher than rudy gay. I did not take D into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkdiggler41
    If he was as talented as Durant, his FG% would be much higher. Durant is already scoring 10more points on Rudy with a better %.
    People talk about Durants efficency because of mainly his FT%. He leaves no points on the table. Only a few stars have ever done that in Nba history for as much as he goes to the line. His FG% for as much as everybody talks about how efficient he is, is only 47.7% FG, where Gay's is 47.0% FG.

You put Durant on the Grizzlies he isn't averaging 29.6 ppg don't kid yourself. Durant would only be averaging a max of 23 ppg.

Quote Originally Posted by OhNoTimNoSho
    A bold statement, but I have to disagree. Rudy Gay may be more athletic but durants length and height allows him to score in a wider array of situations. You admit his jumpers is not as good, but you are not aware how important that is. Combine better jumper plus length just puts Durant 2-3 notches higher than rudy gay. I did not take D into consideration.
    There D is about the same. Kevin Durant jumper is better but not by much, and he is way better shooter. However Rudy has a better post play.I remember team usa camp, the director said Rudy Gay, not Derrick Rose, OJ Mayo, Russell Westbrook, and Kevin Durant were the two that seperated themselves from the pack a camp.

I am starting to see it now. Skill wise he really is right next to Durant, I am not fabricating or trying to troll. Watch the next Thunder game, and the next Grizzlie game. The only thing that scares me about Gay like most is, is he going to play like this once he is going paid? Does he really care about winning?

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

Rudy Gay killed Durant and was the most impressive player in the USA camp last summer...

he went 12-14 from the field in the scrimmage game

I still never get why people look so much into stats, then actually watching players and comparing that way. i mean anybody can tell you how much Gay has improved in every way of the game you can think of this compared to last season.

Yet his career highs in points, rebs, assists came in his 2nd season. Before OJ Mayo, Marc Gasol, and Zach Randolph all came in and said hi.

That makes me more convinced that if Rudy would have gotten less talented layers to play along side of him, he would be averaging 26-29 points right now, while having the worst record in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonislegend
    Rudy Gay killed Durant and was the most impressive player in the USA camp last summer...

he went 12-14 from the field in the scrimmage game
    brandonislegend i know your a fan of both players, what do you think about my assessment. is Gay just as good as Durant,

He would wreck on the Nets. I still really want him.

Memphis would trade their entire backcourt (Mayo, Gay, and Conley) for Durant.

Quote Originally Posted by Nets fan 93
    The chances you guys get John Wall is only 25% not really high. Still that would be nice Wall-Gay-Lopez then you just need a defensive stopper and 3 point shooter and your own your way.

Quote Originally Posted by Nets fan 93
    I can see, and I hope the see The Nets get him. I would also like to see them bundle some of their excess mixed bag swing players for some front court depth. The Josh Boone era has to end.

rudy gay isnt even better than westbrook.