Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default if/when wade wins five plus rings, is he higher than kobe on the all time list?

for me, if he wins only five i would have say no. but if he wins six while putting up better than average stats to win those championships, then i would say yes.

discuss.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Re: if/when wade wins five plus rings, is he higher than kobe on the all time list?

doubtful...he'd have to play a lot better than he has the last two playoff runs.

I love Wade...and would take him peak vs peak over Kobe, but Kobe was great in 01, 02, 09, and 10.....for four of his 5 titles

Wade was great in 06, but wasn't as good as Kobe was in any of the above 4 in 12 and 13.

So it matters not just winning with stacked teams...it matters how you play as well. At least Kobe was still beasting with Shaq...Wade was a shell in 13 and good but not great in 12.

Default Re: if/when wade wins five plus rings, is he higher than kobe on the all time list?

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    doubtful...he'd have to play a lot better than he has the last two playoff runs.

I love Wade...and would take him peak vs peak over Kobe, but Kobe was great in 01, 02, 09, and 10.....for four of his 5 titles

Wade was great in 06, but wasn't as good as Kobe was in any of the above 4 in 12 and 13.

So it matters not just winning with stacked teams...it matters how you play as well. At least Kobe was still beasting with Shaq...Wade was a shell in 13 and good but not great in 12.
    wade in the 2009 regular season was arguably as good as kobe ever was. wade in the 2006 finals was better than any version of finals kobe ever had. but yea, i said that in the original post too, if he puts up better than average stats and wins those rings, it's hard to say no.

Winning 5 or 6 championships with the franchise that drafted you is a difficult task. If he can do it, then we can have this discussion and argue about rankings, but right now I think it's great that he has 3.

if we rank players on championships that they haven't won yet, why not just say "Willl Lebron surpass Wilt if he scores 120 points in a game?" or "If Jason Collins wins FMVP this year what does it mean for the NBA"...Those are extreme examples of course, but my point still stands
    Last edited by BasedTom; 02-25-2014 at 02:27 AM.

Banned

Wade could win 7 rings and still not be rated higher than Kobe.

If he wins 3 FMVP then we will talk.

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    2nd option 20 - 25 ppg / 5 apg / 5 rpg is roughly equivalent to basically Kobe's first three rings. If he won 6 rings with numbers like that plus his FMVP season. Why wouldn't there be a case to rank him over Kobe? This is highly unlikely, just saying.

when trolling goes wrong.

Depends on how he wins those rings.

Hold up, don't people always say Kobe should never be classed as great because he supposedly rode Shaq's coat tails to his first 3 rings?

If so, Wade should never be considered greater or even in the same sentence because the same rule should apply, it can be said he rode Shaq and LeBron's coat tails to the rings he has now.

Fair is fair

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    2nd option 20 - 25 ppg / 5 apg / 5 rpg is roughly equivalent to basically Kobe's first three rings. If he won 6 rings with numbers like that plus his FMVP season. Why wouldn't there be a case to rank him over Kobe? This is highly unlikely, just saying.
    Have you seen Wade's production for the last two rings? To say he's nowhere near 01-02 Kobe would be quite the understatement. Unless Wade returns to 2011 form and wins 4 more rings, this is just hilarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Dogg
    Hold up, don't people always say Kobe should never be classed as great because he supposedly rode Shaq's coat tails to his first 3 rings?

If so, Wade should never be considered greater or even in the same sentence because the same rule should apply, it can be said he rode Shaq and LeBron's coat tails to the rings he has now.

Fair is fair
    without riding coat tails:
    wade: 1 fmvp, 1 ring
    kobe: 2 fmvp, 2 ring (2010 is a serious toss up with gasol) 1 mvp (also a serious toss up with cp3)

i know it seems like i am trolling with kobe here, but most nba heads also believe this.

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Yes.

Have you seen Wade's production for the last two rings? To say he's nowhere near 01-02 Kobe would be quite the understatement. Unless Wade returns to 2011 form and wins 4 more rings, this is just hilarity.
    Umm Wade's 2012 run was pretty good. His 2013 was weak, but he was injured. Miami also faced meaningless shit opposition with a rash of injuries the first 2x rounds so it's moot. His play in the Finals was pretty good.

I'm not actually entertaining him being better than Kobe, because he's not. I'm just asking a hypothetical, that's all.

Have you seen Wade's production for the last two rings? To say he's nowhere near 01-02 Kobe would be quite the understatement. Unless Wade returns to 2011 form and wins 4 more rings, this is just
    hilarity.
    2012 and last year wade was years ahead of 2000 kobe though. and i mean years.