Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Default Dirk is a noble man.

DALLAS -- Dirk Nowitzki's intention to take a "significant pay cut" next summer will be part of the Mavericks' sales pitch in July as they attempt to sign a superstar in free agency.

If the Mavs are able to meet with Chris Paul and/or Dwight Howard, Nowitzki plans to promise them that he'll be extremely flexible in his next negotiations with owner Mark Cuban, ensuring that Dallas will have ample space under the salary cap to acquire more talent in the summer of 2014.

"At this point of my career, it's all about competing and winning," Nowitzki said Thursday after an event to promote AT&T's "It Can Wait" program, which urges people not to text and drive. "It's not about money. Obviously, Cuban took care of me for a long, long time. I always tried to pay him back by hard playing and being here for this franchise, so I don't think we're going to fight over money. I want to compete over these last couple of years. That's going to be the goal."DALLAS -- Dirk Nowitzki's intention to take a "significant pay cut" next summer will be part of the Mavericks' sales pitch in July as they attempt to sign a superstar in free agency.

If the Mavs are able to meet with Chris Paul and/or Dwight Howard, Nowitzki plans to promise them that he'll be extremely flexible in his next negotiations with owner Mark Cuban, ensuring that Dallas will have ample space under the salary cap to acquire more talent in the summer of 2014.

"At this point of my career, it's all about competing and winning," Nowitzki said Thursday after an event to promote AT&T's "It Can Wait" program, which urges people not to text and drive. "It's not about money. Obviously, Cuban took care of me for a long, long time. I always tried to pay him back by hard playing and being here for this franchise, so I don't think we're going to fight over money. I want to compete over these last couple of years. That's going to be the goal."
    http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/...e-huge-pay-cut

How much of this do we see these days? True old school superstar that stay loyal to their teams. There are only a few stars left in the league who has stayed with their teams: Pierce, Kobe, Dirk, Wade, Duncan, etc. These are the true respectable guys of the league.

Once again, props to Dirk. This guy is pure class. I would be damn glad for Dirk to win another championship.

Good college starter HorryIsMyMVP's Avatar

Default Re: Dirk is a noble man.

Quote Originally Posted by ripthekik
    http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/...e-huge-pay-cut

How much of this do we see these days? True old school superstar that stay loyal to their teams. There are only a few stars left in the league who has stayed with their teams: Pierce, Kobe, Dirk, Wade, Duncan, etc. These are the true respectable guys of the league.

Once again, props to Dirk. This guy is pure class. I would be damn glad for Dirk to win another championship.
    It is still ring chasing no matter which way you slice it.

Quote Originally Posted by HorryIsMyMVP
    It is still ring chasing no matter which way you slice it.
    It's not chasing if you're not going anywhere
    It's sacrificing to help your franchise and make your team better.
    That's a hell lot more respectable than ring-chasing like gary payton or juwan howard.

How is it noble? He is essentially paying for a ring.

Good college starter HorryIsMyMVP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ripthekik
    It's not chasing if you're not going anywhere
    It's sacrificing to help your franchise and make your team better.
    That's a hell lot more respectable than ring-chasing like gary payton or juwan howard.
    Yeah well luckily for Dirk odds are no one is coming to Dallas. And he won't win another ring or make the play off's ever again.

You do know your #1 hate object Lebron James has taken a significant pay cut?

Would you hate an all time great for leaving Charlotte if it meant going to a big market city primed to compete for championships year in year out?

Quote Originally Posted by bmd
    Staying in your own franchise, demanding less money than a player of his stature deserves, all for the reason of helping the team and franchise improve is not noble?

What should he do, sign with another rival contender like Ray Allen, maybe that's noble for you? Or demand to be paid max and cripple his franchise? What he's doing is the best for the franchise at the expense of himself. I don't know why it even needs explanation. The new generation of fans are ruined by the Heat, soon these 90/00's loyal stars will be extinct.

Very good NBA starter

Why do I get the feeling this kind of gesture is a season or 2 too late?

Also, for as generous and humble Dirk is, it's sure sad that his GM is a cheapskate and bitch.

Take a paycut and come to the Spurs Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by bmd
    Earned, not given.

Quote Originally Posted by K Xerxes
    Would you hate an all time great for leaving Charlotte if it meant going to a big market city primed to compete for championships year in year out?
    if that guy is better than kobe then he would. people forget that this is a privately owned league with privately owned teams.
    It seems like people think this is college basketball where only players from your college play for your team.
    Supporting a team based on where you are born is being a bandwagon fan too as everyone does it without thinking because it is considered cool.Make your choice based on the type of basketball that team plays instead of location of that team or players on those teams.
    If the team plays your kind of basketball, support it.
    Last edited by Rose'sACL; 05-16-2013 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus
    Earned, not given.

this guy definitely earned it.
    he is that dude

How does my Dirk taste creepingdeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    Why do I get the feeling this kind of gesture is a season or 2 too late?

Also, for as generous and humble Dirk is, it's sure sad that his GM is a cheapskate and bitch.

Take a paycut and come to the Spurs Dirk
    Dirk already took a paycut 3 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by HorryIsMyMVP
    Yeah well luckily for Dirk odds are no one is coming to Dallas. And he won't win another ring or make the play off's ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nash
    You do know your #1 hate object Lebron James has taken a significant pay cut?
    You should really educate yourself on some tax laws. He didn't really take a significant pay cut to play in Miami.

Every single home game check is tax free...

Loyalty is fun when you're in a big market on a team that actually wants to make the team better. Why are players always loyal to LA and other big market teams?

Also loyalty never goes 2 ways, if you play bad and there is something better out there for the team you're playing for, loyalty will get thrown the feck away and you'll get traded in a second.