Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Default Re: psychology research study: trolls are horrible people.

Quote Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
    You said the questions were things like ....

Ok then, post the real questions, I'm sure I can call bullsh*t on them as well.
    They were examples of the questions but there were more.

The point is that most people that answered those questions highly also scored highly as sadistic. That isn't saying every single person that trolls is sadistic, but a majority were. If there was no relationship between the two we wouldn't be discussing this.

I mean what are you trying to say? That the people who admitted they trolled on the internet deliberately (and unbeknownst to each other) scored highly on sadism to mess with the test results?

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    They were examples of the questions but there were more.

The point is that most people that answered those questions highly also scored highly as sadistic. That isn't saying every single person that trolls is sadistic, but a majority were. If there was no relationship between the two we wouldn't be discussing this.

I mean what are you trying to say? That the people who admitted they trolled on the internet deliberately (and unbeknownst to each other) scored highly on sadism to mess with the test results?
    Absolutely, you're gonna need a complete study to establish what people say online has a specific set of behaviors that shows a causative link between how they act in real life.

The assumption is what they say online is based on how they are in real life, and really, that is farther from the truth. There are way too many people online in forums bullsh*tting with a fake persona to take them seriously. Hell we even had a guy in here who posted fake pictures of his place, himself, his girl, etc. to try to look cool, so how can you believe how a person acts online is how they will act in rl?

Absolutely, you're gonna need a complete study to establish what people say online has a specific set of behaviors that shows a causative link between how they act in real life.

The assumption is what they say online is based on how they are in real life, and really, that is farther from the truth. There are way too many people online in forums bullsh*tting with a fake persona to take them seriously. Hell we even had a guy in here who posted fake pictures of his place, himself, his girl, etc. to try to look cool, so how can you believe how a person acts online is how they will act in rl?
    Because the test isn't measuring how they act in real life. What you just said has nothing to do with the study. It is comparing personality types and online behavior. All of your evidence is at best anecdotal and even though you obviously don't like to think so, it amounts to nout. You criticize this study that has real world data using 1215 participants yet your response is based on some vague concepts and beliefs you have in your head.

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    Because the test isn't measuring how they act in real life. What you just said has nothing to do with the study. It is comparing personality types and online behavior. All of your evidence is at best anecdotal and even though you obviously don't like to think so, it amounts to nout. You criticize this study that has real world data using 1215 participants yet your response is based on some vague concepts and beliefs you have in your head.
    Calling someone sadistic or narcissistic are real world implications. That's quite a stretch don't you think, consdering how they act in rl prob has no direct causation towards how they act online.

Fair criticism.

Calling someone sadistic or narcissistic are real world implications. That's quite a stretch don't you think, consdering how they act in rl prob has no direct causation towards how they act online.

Fair criticism.
    It is a personality trait, not an action. Someone who is sadistic may still conform to social convention in most situations. There is no good reason for someone to score highly on sadism and then score highly on trolling unless there is some relationship between the two. The relationship was very significant (p=0.001).

Just to add again, this doesn't mean everyone who trolls is a psychopath or a sadist, just that if you took a random sample of trolls you would most likely find that a lot of them are.
    Last edited by miller-time; 02-17-2014 at 02:53 AM.

I'm working my way towards a conclusion homeboy. I'm trying to reveal that study is confirmation bias and not based on any real world evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
    I never saw you as a troll.

-Nate
    I am a postmodern troll.

Edit: Also found the dudes who want to refute these things the most are generally the ones who ARE ****in' psychopaths. Jussayin. I still luv u guyz.

-Smak
    Last edited by ILLsmak; 02-17-2014 at 09:15 AM.

So trolls are mean?

iamrambo trying to argue against the theory that trolls online are of a certain personality profile in real life.