Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Local High School Star Solid Snake's Avatar

Default Re: End of the Pistons Run

He Chauncy really wants to seriously win a title he would sign for less money.

Default Re: What off-season moves should Detroit make? Fire Flip? Trade guys? New signings?

The arrogance of this team was their downfall. They are still living off of their back-to-back finals appearances. They had a very cocky attitude, and played as if all they needed to do was show up, and the other team would automatically be intimidated.

After their game 5 loss, there should've been more of a sense of urgency, but you still had guys who acted as if losing that game was no big deal. They need someone to light a fire under their asses. Time to clean house.

Saw a basketball once

Default Re: What off-season moves should Detroit make? Fire Flip? Trade guys? New signings?

try to get a big man for the defensive side and a solid rebounder

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sharas

denver nuggets receive:

chauncey billups (sign & trade)

detroit pistons receive:

steve blake
    nene

if i'm right, nene and blake combined make about 13 millions...they can add some small filler also if needed. pistons get a good young big man who can play both c and pf and a subpar starter/great backup point guard. then they can draft acie law at #17 if he's available, and split his and blake's minutes. or roll the dice and try with javaris crittenton. or even draft he best player avalaible and look for another pg with MLE.

then you've got:

nene
    wallace
    prince
    hamilton
    law/blake

that's already a much younger lineup and a good beginning for youth movement, while not totally breaking it up and still being top 3-4 team in the east.

while denver's got:

camby
    martin (hopefully healthy)
    carmelo
    iverson
    billups

iverson moves to full-time 2 on offense and on defense chauncey can guard opposition backcourt's better/bigger player. IMO this smells much more of a championship than current nuggets lineup.
    Replace Nene with Camby and you have a deal. We don't want any part of Nene. He's overpaid.

shhhhhhh

you don't blow up a team that has been in the conference finals for 5 years in a row... you tweak it... you look at why the team can't get over that last hump and then you fix that problem and address any problems you may have created when fixing the first problem... the pistons were built to be a defense first team that created points off it's rebounding and stops... when the let wallace and larry brown go and tried to change the style of play they lost alot of what made them successful...

NBA sixth man of the year picc84's Avatar

Defense and a go-to guy they can just throw the ball to and say "do something good for us". Cleveland had that.

Not airballing my layups anymore Wun27's Avatar

Trade Sheed Fsho, that dude is poison for detroit, and trade Nazir as well, they should be able to get a good player or two in return and im sure there are some struggling teams that would be willing to aquire these players in return for some of their good players. The Pistons are a great team they just need that last puzzle piece and when they get it, watch out.

1. The Pistons need speed at the point guard position.

Earl Boykens, if healthy, would be a nice addition (I think he is a free agent).

Gibson killed the Pistons with his speed.

2. Trade Mohammed for a wing. The Pistons had practically no depth at the wings off the bench.

3. Play Maxiell more.

4. Re-sign Chauncey. It was a mistake to let Ben go for a few millions.

Banned

I wish Denver had an interest in Billups... but I think they are trying to cut salary not add it on. If they wanted him I'd do Blake and Camby for Billups in a sign and trade.

The other team I like is Dallas. I'd take Harris and filler for a Billups S&T... unfortunately they are retarded and signed all their guys to massive extensions last year. Dampier at 10 million???? No filler worth taking on.

Lakers 4 life. Kobe!

Keep the roster.

LARRY BROWN LARRY BROWN LARRY BROWN!!!

Yuck, I don't want Camby or Devin Harris. They're both good players, but Chauncey is more valuable. Harris at least gets the team younger, I suppose, but he's not worth it.

Not really an option at coaching other than bring back LB that I like.

Was not enamoured with Chauncey's play this series, but apparently Snow owns him so I shouldn't get too carried away, but there is really no one to take his place that's even half as good.

Wouldn't mind seeing RIP go if he's gonna continue to put the ball on the floor and not pull up off screens which can't be stopped.

Tay has to stay. Had a bad series but he's been outstanding in the playoffs for the better part of 4 years.

Rasheed played very well now that he wasn't hurt, but his attitude and the refs predisposition towards him makes it difficult. I don't think we can stand to lose him or Tay because of the defensive letdown.

Webber I could go either way. Guess that would come down to the price. He played really bad sometimes, and played really good others.

Max and Amir have to play more.

Keep Dyess.

Quote Originally Posted by FPower
    Flip Saunders was a much worse move IMO, because it destroyed the team AND there were many other options. Out of all the coaches Joe could have picked, he managed to find one which the the team clashes with completely.
    Who else was out there? Guys like Mo Cheeks, O'Brien, Byron Scott, Dunleavy, McMillan, were available around that time but most have proven their "hot" status was overrated.

EDIT:

Here is Sheed's ringing endorsement of Flip: "I don't really know," Wallace said when asked if he expected Saunders to be back. "That's not up to me. It's up to management. Either way, we as players, we still have to go out there and play."
    Last edited by DeuceWallaces; 06-04-2007 at 11:19 AM.

I wanted Adelman last year, simply because I was on the anyone but Flip bandwagon. I thought the Pistons would have had a better chance of keeping Ben if they fired Flip. On the other hand, if Chicago was willing to overpay him so much I'm not sure anything was going to keep him here. Also, if the Pistons were going to switch to an offensive minded team, I'd rather have a coach whose offense actually works in the playoffs.

It was a tough call though, the team needed someone that they would respect, and who knows who could have filled that role.

Local High School Star

Very tough time to be a Piston fan - or more specifically Piston management.

Team is good enough to win alot of games. Team is good enough to creat playoff excitement. Team is not good enough to win a title - and there is the rub.

The Nets, Suns, Dall find themselves inthe same unenviable position. Teams that have been together for a while, have quality at every position, and are getting older but they are still good.

So what do you do? Do you hang onto the team, try to tweak, pray for a break (like to TD's leg or an odd upset) and try to win in the now - or start the dreaded rebuilding process - knowing that you probably won't win and your assets will be less and less appealing, start trading off now, get cap room and draft choices and try to build a team ready ot compete in 5 years.

It worked with the Florida Marlins. The hanging on to past glory has a long and treasured history of not working.

Very difficult decision. As a fan, you got a winner, stick with it and we'll try ot stay interested as the returns get smaller. As a GM, you gotta be looking down the road -- first stop is Billups' contract.

An S&T with Atl makes a ton of sense.